Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

While watching a local affiliate station on television, a weatherman forecast unseasonably mild temperatures for New Years Day adding " So there is no excuse for leaving your outdoor Christmas decorations up after New Year's this year - take them down on New Years Day, every one!"

Apparently this is a pet peve of his and he admitted as much.

I did not catch the announcer's name but I will give you a brief description - white male, late thirties or forties, dark hair and a bit heavy set. Who is this guy?

I disagree with this Grinch!
First oof all the Christian holiday of Christmas does not end on New Year's day, and certainly does not end on December 26th. It ends with the Feast of The Epiphany, on January 6th.

Here is a pet peve of mine - people who celebrate "Mallmas", putting their decorations up on Black Friday and taking them down before the holiday is truly over.

We tke our CHRISTMAS themed ornaments down on or around January 6th.
Depending on the year I leave Winter themed ornaments up all winter.

So fols what do YOU think?
If you decorate when do you decorate the outside of your home and when do you remove the decorations? Also why on those dates?

Also who is this guy? I want to send him a letter.

P.S I am talking about intentional decorating, mindful decoration if you will. Not just throwing up a mess of lights and leaving them there until Easter. That's depressing.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I saw Joe joking this morning ( his usual happy self) and taking off a wreath, saying " Christmas is over folks.".......But, that is just Joe. When we moved here from NJ we left all the stuffy newsmen and ladies behind. It took me a week or so to get use to this "happy go lucky" guy. But, it is a pleasure to laugh during most of the harsh stories that hit the media. I'm sure his stuff is still up at home. I am not sure at all if he is the one you are talking about. But, if so...he is well loved by so many as he does wonderful charity bike rides, and supports his local town and hospitals.

Ok .....When do I decorate? Well, I decorate early and I know it.......Reason being? Ok, well on Thanksgiving night I like the six little fellows to look outside and see the decorations. Not that I put a big bunch, and mostly its just a lighted sled and deer........but they have a chance to look, and I can see a sparkle in their eyes. After that I don't put them on each night.......not until it gets closer to Christmas.
I also have the indoor scene up on Thanksgiving. Reason for that is the kids get a chance to really look at it. On Christmas Day they are all too busy with new things and hardly are near it at all.
It is a lot of work.....a lot of lugging and setting up. Again, they stand there and talk about things.
I watched them design a game. Between the three oldest. It was, "where do you see a lantern?"
" Where is the clock shop?" Where is the bike?" and on and on.......They had time to enjoy.
These are quality days with all the children here. I take total advantage of that in every way I can.
Their favorite cookies, drinks......Their favorite foods.
Christmas is a holiday of JOY to me. Its family, food, gifts,Jesus, Church, kindness, and spirit......all rolled up into one.
I do hate it when people leave their lights on all year. I think it looks horriable in a neighborhood and makes a neighborhood look sloppy and unkempt.
I remove everything two days after Christmas because I head south and want to come home to a nicely ready spring theme.
I also understand that everyone has their own personal reasons. Joe might feel differently then you.
I might also. But.......Your way is certainly understandable and fine by me.

I think the worst thing to see into spring though is the ice hanging from the roof into and past Easter. Just really hardly any excuse for that but a trip to the hospital or something.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
I doubt it was Joe... he's definitely not heavyset. From the description it sounds like Kurt Aaron.

I agree that there are a lot of people who like to celebrate the season in its entirely, through until the Epiphany and beyond, and those people should be considered.

I doubt KA meant any harm. He's a nice guy.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
LOL Sheena...you need to take a chill pill or get a life....and, I don't mean either of these as a put down. But, your post sounds like you are either wrapped like a rubber band or have nothing else to do today so you created this post to keep you busy.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Default Julian Calendar Christmas

There are many Orthodox Christian churches in NEPA (and other areas) that celebrate the Nativity (aka Christmas) on January 7th. This is as according to the Julian Calendar.

Some call this "Russian Christmas". Many locals who know this, though not practicing Orthodox Christians will leave their lights on until then as well. Some will even leave them on for "Russian New Year's", January 13-14.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
With rampant corruption, murders, arson and everything else in day to day life, you have to be kidding me right?

Who cares what the weatherman said, 9 out of 10 times they never say anything worth listening to and your going to hang your hat on that....Come on, seriously.

I'm not going to say anymore

Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh I do NOT think that he meant any harm either, but I personally like to celebrate the whole Christmas holiday - not just the day that we exchange gifts.

No I am not without a life, JamMan and I will pass on the pill, thank you.
Of coarse I posted because I was not doing anything else at the time. Why else does anyone go on city data or any other forum of facebook? Because they have some free time and it's fun! Why are you posting? Probably for the same reason! :-)

I also work from home, and my work is cyclical in nature. Right now I don't have much work to do but even when I am working, I have been known to post or to update my status on facebook.
My boss does not care how I spend my time as long as I get my work done in the end.

I know this because my boss is a very kind and tolerant person and she knows that I am very good at what I do.

You made a good point, jimazee, there are many Eastern Rite Christians around here who celebrate later in December. Not all are "Russian", but since moving here I have noticed that quite a few people do refer to it as "Russian Christmas" - even though it is celebrated by many ethnic groups - including Greeks, Romanians, Ukrainians, and others.

Since we have spent many a Christmas hosting a child or two (or three) as well as a grad student translator from Ukraine, we also exchange a small gifts and I make traditional food on that day.

I guess I do like to stretch Christmas to the max!

PS I know my boss so well because she and I are one in the same! ;-)
Best employer I have ever had!

Back to the OP I would like to hear from others about this topic. Whrn do you put up your decorations, take them down and why?

I agree with summering, there is nothing sadder than seeing a house stringed with icicle lights in April.
Although in my former home I did string white lights on the bushes surrounding my deck in the summer just to add to the festivity of gatherings and parties. I think that they look nice on dark summer nights.

A friend says I am like a crow - I like anything that sparkles.
She's right I am!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM

welupa lighten up - not every post has to be about a "life and death issue"

I have seen people endlessly post about Pizza, for example. It's fun!

As a Christian, the secularization of Christmas and I the fact that so many people who say that they belong to this or that denomination, that so few people understand why they are celebrating Christmas, and follow the retail industry's cue when it comes to decorations. This is a concern of mine.

BTW I have no problem with non - Christians decorating for their own reasons - be it the Solstice or Hanukah or just the Season of winter

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Sounds like Kurt Aaron, he's the only one of the broadcasters i can take, also easy on the eyes.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Could be - he wasn't bad looking. What channel is he on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania