Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone! I just returned home from East Stroudsburg, a college town in Monroe County just five minutes from New Jersey, making it popular for daily NYC commuters. Many of you saw my failed attempt at a tour of Stroudsburg, which I gave up on after being panhandled one too many times. Crossing the border into East Stroudsburg was like stepping into paradise for me. The downtown area was quite small yet well-kept with a historic movie theater, costume shop, Caribbean market, and some other unique mom-and-pop shops. Just outside of the Main Street was a small strip retail shopping area with KMart, Wal-Mart Supercenter, and a few other big-box retailers. The campus of East Stroudsburg University was extremely well-groomed and well-kept, even though I wasn't exactly "blown away" by its architecture, which reminded me of some sort of Soviet-era commune with all of the plain high-rise brick residence halls near Smith Street. Nevertheless, this town won me over wholeheartedly with its tree-lined streets, sidewalks, and quaint residential charm.

The town is also home to Pocono Medical Center, as well as a variety of smaller practices nearby, making it the medical hub of Eastern Monroe County. The area continues to grow by leaps and bounds, but I found traffic through town to be quite manageable; I had no difficulty crossing downtown streets or pulling left from side streets onto main arteries. I also found the people of East Stroudsburg to be of a "better" variety than their counterparts in Stroudsburg. While I was panhandled on Main Street in Stroudsburg and didn't have my "Good mornings" returned to me, people in East Stroudsburg were mostly cheery and happy, which left me with a positive impression. I was also happy to see so much racial diversity in town; every other person seemed to be Hispanic, Asian-American, African-American, etc. I hope you enjoy your visit to East Stroudsburg as much as I did!

Welcome to East Stroudsburg, Settled in 1738.

(PHOTOS TO BE CONTINUED BELOW)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up E-Burg! WOOOO!!!

East Stroudsburg University.

Some images from Downtown East Stroudsburg. Notice the police car in the bottom photo along Crystal Street. I was quite pleased with the strong presence that the Stroud Regional Police Department had here, as I couldn't walk for more than a few blocks without seeing a cruiser on patrol somewhere. Where were they when I was panhandled over on Main Street in Stroudsburg? LOL!

Some students from either East Stroudsburg Area HS or ESU were here painting a beautiful mural on a downtown wall to the rear of the post office along Crystal Street.

A really, really old looking bridge heading out of town.

East Stroudsburg Municipal Building

Pocono Medical Center

An old rail switch tower on the edge of downtown.

Two scenic shots from around town.

Some residential scenes from around town.

(END)

Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
Very nice, as always! (Though I, for one, miss the tongue-in-cheek commentary!) :-)

Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Very nice, as always! (Though I, for one, miss the tongue-in-cheek commentary!) :-)
Thanks. I know. However, after unintentionally offending people in both my West Pittston and Moscow tours, I figure I might just be better off showing the pictures from now on and not providing anyone with captions. The last thing I want is for one of the tours to be "locked" due to an argument arising or having a moderator hack my commentaries to pieces with red ink. LOL! Humor will have to take a back burner to professionalism. Expect much of the same later on today after I snap my Carbondale tour as well.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Default Great

You did a great job SWB capturing East Stroudsburg.......
Yes there is one street there out past the Walmart that has a few "why are they still standing" type of homes........but, there are many, many nice ones.
Glad to see you got the clock above the Police station..........I love clocks.
So glad I cleared the town for you of panhandlers.....
Then again.....it was their day off I think.......

Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 PM

34 posts, read 130,569 times
This is a fantastic photo essay of East Stroudsburg! I'm applying for a position at the university there and knew very little about the area until I saw this thread. Now I'm quite excited about applying there. Wish me luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo2007 View Post
This is a fantastic photo essay of East Stroudsburg! I'm applying for a position at the university there and knew very little about the area until I saw this thread. Now I'm quite excited about applying there. Wish me luck!
Best of luck to you! Laredo and the Poconos are two completely different environments---are you ready for snow? In my opinion East Stroudsburg is still a nice, liveable place, and Stroudsburg is the town that has begun to go downhill, but some locals say it's the other way around, so I truly don't know. I live about 45 minutes away, so I can only rely on hearsay in that respect. What I can tell you though is that my partner and I enjoyed a very nice dinner a few weeks ago at the Dansbury Depot (restaurant housed in refurbished train station) and walked around the downtown area at night and didn't feel threatened at all; I actually feel more threatened walking around my own hometown of Pittston at night after a violent murder in the street about a month ago. The Stroud Regional Police Force, as I stated earlier, seems to do a pretty good job patrolling the town's streets.

Have you ever been to New York City? Visiting NYC, which is only about 90 minutes away from "Eastburg", is sort of like a ritual. You'll enjoy it.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-02-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-06-2007, 06:33 AM

34 posts, read 130,569 times
ScrantonWilkesBarre--
Well, I don't think I'm ready for snow but I could quickly become ready :-) My desire to move on from Laredo is quite strong.

I see some things in these photos that look very pleasant, features that James Howard Kunstler laments the loss of in so many places around the country: traditional neighborhoods, and a downtown that's easy to walk to.

Plus, I've never been to NYC, so that would be a real plus for that location. I'm a jazz musician (part-time), so the proximity to NYC and NJ would be great. Obviously as an urban geographer (my main gig), proximity to NYC and its NJ suburbs would be wonderful.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Laredo, I think you will love East Stroudsburg. The house my brother rents is a half double - a huge Victorian style like you see in those beautiful pictures.

As far as the jazz, well you don't even have to go to the city. There is quite an active jazz community right here in the Poconos. The Deer Head Inn is where we go to hear the jazz locally: The Deer Head Inn - Bed and Breakfast, Delaware Water Gap, Pocono Mountains, Poconos, B and B, Jazz, Food, Lodging

Bob Dorough (of Schoolhouse Rock fame) is one of my favorite performers and he plays there regularly. Welcome to Bob Dorough's Official Website

If you live in the older established neighborhood of homes near the University, it isn't a long walk at all to most of the action. I love walking around up there with my brother.

The only sad thing I have to report is that the beautiful little cinema in the pictures just closed. It was a great place to see indy and foreign films and will be sorely missed! I heard they may file for a nonprofit status to try to preserve it and I hope they do.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 41,161 times
Karen_s, Just to let you know the Pocono Cinema is back up and running. The owners of the building and previous owners of the cinema, the Yetter's, decided it was too good a thing top let close. They opened an a limited basis the day before Thanksgiving. They are still wishing that a not-for-profit group will take it over. I live in East Burg and can walk there in less than 10 min. Go there alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania