Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

I have noticed this pretty custom in NEPA and a few other parts of PA.
In NY I do this around Christmas time, as do others. But I have never seen it practiced year round. Can any one give me the history and background of the practice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Everyone tries to be like their neighbors. Hence the stars on homes.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM

I think the candles which are electric are pretty. The big stars are popular here too. I think that's an HGTV thing.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
I think a lot of people think it makes their home harken back to a more simpler time...maybe a time in which many of us wished we lived. I always think these houses look real nice at night.

Jim

Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
On some homes it just is so relaxing to have in some windows. I find it especially nice looking down a stone lane, and in windows that are nestled in the woods. Just a charming feature.
I saw a home like that yesterday. They just looked so becoming sitting in the paned windows...of a cute little house in the woods.
I think it is best in that type of home though.........not all are enhanced by the effect.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM

That's a lovely image Summering the cottage nestled in the woods! I think it looks good in a varirty of home styles though - a stone cottage, a Victorian with a turret, an older colonial - maybe not so much an ultra modern house.

But it does seem peculiarly Pennsylvanian and I am still curious about the background of this custom.
Pennsylvania Dutch? Moravian? Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM

71 posts, read 164,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have noticed this pretty custom in NEPA and a few other parts of PA.
In NY I do this around Christmas time, as do others. But I have never seen it practiced year round. Can any one give me the history and background of the practice?

Thanks!
I always understood it to mean family, warmth, welcomeness.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's a lovely image Summering the cottage nestled in the woods! I think it looks good in a varirty of home styles though - a stone cottage, a Victorian with a turret, an older colonial - maybe not so much an ultra modern house.

But it does seem peculiarly Pennsylvanian and I am still curious about the background of this custom.
Pennsylvania Dutch? Moravian? Any ideas?
The Tradition of placing a Candle in the Window goes back to the Colonial times in the United States and back much further in time for other cultures. It is a Tradition practiced throughout the year. It symbolizes the warmth and security of the Family hearth and signals loyalty to Family members and loved ones who are not present in the home. At Christmas Time it follows the tradition of The Colonial Williamsburg Christmas.

A Window Candle has been a traditional practice in many cultures. It has a variety of meanings in The United States. The practice starts with the fundamental use of fire by mankind. Throughout the history of man a campfire has represented warmth and security. It is the source of heat to cook food and warm the body and the spirit. It is the barrier between the safe and the unsafe in an untamed and unfriendly wilderness. Over the course of history, as we have moved our campfires into our homes, there, the hearth has represented these very same things. The family hearth has been the center of activity because of its warmth and practical use for food preparation. We love to watch the dancing flames as the fire's warmth flows into the deepest and coldest parts of our bodies. Sitting in front of the hearth on a cold wintry day gives us a feeling of warmth and security. It makes us feel like all is right with the world. In most cultures a Candle in the Window was used to signal a Family's loyalty to a loved one who was away traveling. It let that person know the family awaited their return and the hearth was warm and waiting for them1. In Ireland during times of religious persecution, the Window Candle signaled the location of religious services.

In Colonial America a Candle in the Window was used to honor dignitaries, announce births and just plain celebrate . Every Christmas in Williamsburg Window Candles are illuminated in each window of the homes and businesses in that community to commemorate an old fashioned Christmas . Many other cultures around the world practice the Candle in the Window Tradition.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Thank you Jamman.......Just reading that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.......
Oh yes Sheena........many other types of homes also........Just sometimes a bit more charming then others.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

WikiAnswers - What do candles symbolize in windows
Here is a something of interest also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania