Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM

26 posts, read 92,817 times

Advertisements

We are potentially moving to ND (Casselton area) and are currently homeschooling our three children here in Georgia. Are there many homeschoolers in ND? How easy is it to get through the red tape of the School Systems? How is the transition from homeschooling to public schooling, should we choose to do that instead?

Thank you for any assistance you may provide me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Not sure how many there are, but this artice was in the Fargo Forum today:

BISMARCK, N.D.

North Dakota parents who home school their children want the Legislature to get rid of state laws that require them to be monitored by a licensed teacher.

They told the Legislature's interim Education Committee this week that the laws are not needed.

James Bartlett of Bottineau, the executive director of the North Dakota Home School Association, said the association wants to get rid of state laws that require parents to meet certain qualifications that require them to be monitored.

Cam Leedahl, of Leonard, a parent whose home schooled children are now grown, said studies will back up that contention.

"The facts all point to the fact that regulation is not necessary," Leedahl said.

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Wayne Sanstead said the current regulations are the result of compromises worked out 20 years ago between home school groups and the state. He said he would "adamantly oppose" any repeal of monitoring laws.

"You don't believe it should be revisited after 20 years?" asked Rep. Karen Karls, R-Bismarck. "Do you believe home schoolers are not doing a good job?"

Sanstead said he hears about cases around the state in which neighbors or others have suspected children are not being educated.

Leedahl told Rep. Lisa Meier, R-Bismarck, that an estimated 10,000 families are home schooling their children.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks Corbay! I saw that article in the online paper today......... hopefully things will change and become a little easier. I thought GA had restrictive laws concerning homeschooling, but ND is more-so. If we do move to ND I guess I'll have to add my voice/vote for change.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:06 AM

87 posts, read 333,012 times
You may also find that the public school system is much better than in your current location and choose to have your children educated there. Just a thought ...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM

It's a possiblity.............

Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,418 times
Just to add to what Dan C. had to say, North Dakota is ranked #2 nationally as far as high school graduation rates at around 83%.

Some additional info from THE US CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Academic Achievement:
Student performance in North Dakota is very strong—the state ranks among the highest in the nation. Eighth graders stand 8 percentage points higher than the national average in the percentage at or above the proficient level on the NAEP reading exam.

Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness: North Dakota earns an above average grade in this category. Eighty-three percent of its 9th grade students receive a diploma within four years compared with the national average of 70%. Fifty-seven percent of 9th graders who finish high school in four years go on to college.

Good luck on your potential move....

Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Just to add to what Dan C. had to say, North Dakota is ranked #2 nationally as far as high school graduation rates at around 83%.

Some additional info from THE US CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Academic Achievement:
Student performance in North Dakota is very strong—the state ranks among the highest in the nation. Eighth graders stand 8 percentage points higher than the national average in the percentage at or above the proficient level on the NAEP reading exam.

Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness: North Dakota earns an above average grade in this category. Eighty-three percent of its 9th grade students receive a diploma within four years compared with the national average of 70%. Fifty-seven percent of 9th graders who finish high school in four years go on to college.

Good luck on your potential move....

Thank you Mikey! Good to know the good school record.......... it sounds head and shoulders above Georgia!

I'm still leaning towards homeschooling....... but you never know and its good to have an feasible option (good schools).

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,018 times
NoDak schools are pretty stellar. It's slightly comforting to think about if I accidentally knock up my wife.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
NoDak schools are pretty stellar. It's slightly comforting to think about if I accidentally knock up my wife.

Hey.... we accidently managed that 3 times before we figured it out. You just never know what those cold winter nights will yield!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 24,804 times
I go to public school in Bottineau. I'm a Senior. I've been in 5 different schools around the state. Mandan/Bismarck area and Westhope and Bottineau. Schools here are very.. athletic focused and not so much academic in my opinion. Kids are very clicky too. But safetywise i think ND has got it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota