Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,134 times

Advertisements

Ok so this forum has pretty much sold me on how great North Dakota is. I'm only a junior in college but ND is definately becoming more of a winner. SO could someone tell me the pros and cons of living in Fargo, ND? Who are the major employers( I will be working in Human Resource Mangement) Is there any racism or discrimination issues (I'm a African American female) What are the "bad" parts of town in Fargo? Anything you can give me. I'm looking to move somewhere where I can settle down and raise a family. I'm not the type of person who likes to constantly relocate. If I move to Fargo it would be permanent. So FEEDBACK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
There are no "bad" parts of Fargo to speak of, really. Downtown can get a little rowdy on the weekends due to drunken college students.
The only racism I can recall in recent months was from the Fargo Police against an Asian man over who was at fault for a traffic accident. It's tied up in civil courts right now, methinks. I don't know the details.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I'm not the type of person who likes to constantly relocate. If I move to Fargo it would be permanent.
That statement might be a little premature until you have spent a couple of winters there.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times
I've heard that without question, it can get pretty cold there at times....

Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
Ok so this forum has pretty much sold me on how great North Dakota is.

Have you read the Fessenden thread?

JK. May I ask where you are originally from?

If you are from the South you will find that the people are generally just as friendly and not racist(people under 50 anyways). You may get looks from not being a white blond Norwegian. Not in a negative way, just a "hey, that chick looks different". I'm sure you know what I mean.

Fargo is a nice place and if I ever move back to ND the only two places I would even consider are Fargo and Grand Forks.....It will never happen. I'm a wuss and can't handle the 8 months of winter.

Last edited by roundball; 10-06-2008 at 01:05 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM

109 posts, read 441,428 times
Ha, I have family in Fargo!

There are no bad parts that I know of. My friend is also going to college there and she walks around at all times of the night no worries.

Just remember that Fargo has one of the coldest winters in the country!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM

497 posts, read 1,694,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Have you read the Fessenden thread?

JK. May I ask where you are originally from?

If you are from the South you will find that the people are generally just as friendly and not racist(people under 50 anyways). You may get looks from not being a white blond Norwegian. Not in a negative way, just a "hey, that chick looks different". I'm sure you know what I mean.

Fargo is a nice place and if I ever move back to ND the only two places I would even consider are Fargo and Grand Forks.....It will never happen. I'm a wuss and can't handle the 8 months of winter.
I'm from Memphis, TN but I attend college in Evansvile, IN.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM

70 posts, read 406,820 times
N Dakota is a good state and I would recommend living any of the bigger cities like Bismarck, Minot, Grand Forks or Fargo.

Since you are from TN, it might be worthwhile to elaborate on the winter temps since there hasn't been mention of just how cold is cold. Below zero temps with bitter wind chills are common place in the dead of winter. Air temps can reach -30 or more for a few days each winter. Yes 30 BELOW is COLD and no you never get used to it. When it's that cold a person can throw a cup of water in the air and the water will crystallize into thin air. There are Youtube videos that show this.

That said the cold weather is probably the "worst" thing that I can think of about ND. Otherwise it's a laid back place with a stable economy and good values. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
Crystallize into thin air? Isn't the polite term "making a cloud?"

Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
I'm from Memphis, TN but I attend college in Evansvile, IN.
Hi I grew up 45 miles south of Evanville in West Kentucky and my parents are still there. I can/could not stand the muggy summers down there. I have lived up in the Grand Forks area for 10 years...and for the most part winters are not nearly as bad as you imagine. Life does exists normally up here in the winter and its not 8 months of course....but yes someone from TN/KY/srn Indiana area will find it an adjustment. If you truly dislike cold weather then it will be harder. But it always fun to hear how my parents talk like 20 is cold in January.... when after a long cold break it is almost like short sleeve weather. Granted I am bias in that I love the cold.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota