Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 PM

128 posts, read 267,934 times

Advertisements

I was curious about what the border between Manitoba and North Dakota looked like so I was perusing Google Maps. I wanted to see how easy it would be to walk from the US to Canada, which it looks like if you own property on the border is as easy as walking from any state to another state. I didn't expect a fence, but I was curious. Anyway, I stumbled upon Lake Metigoshe. It appears there is a small part of the lake which has parcels of property, at least according to Google, half in the US, half in Canada. The houses are in Canada but the docks are in the US. I tried Googling this but I couldn't find anything talking about it. How does this work? Do we have some sort of agreement where the property is considered to be the possession of whichever country it majority lies in?

Also, I noticed that every road between North Dakota and Canada has a border outpost, but what about boating on Lake Metigoshe? Can't you simply boat between the US and Canada with ease?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor77 View Post
I was curious about what the border between Manitoba and North Dakota looked like so I was perusing Google Maps. I wanted to see how easy it would be to walk from the US to Canada, which it looks like if you own property on the border is as easy as walking from any state to another state. I didn't expect a fence, but I was curious. Anyway, I stumbled upon Lake Metigoshe. It appears there is a small part of the lake which has parcels of property, at least according to Google, half in the US, half in Canada. The houses are in Canada but the docks are in the US. I tried Googling this but I couldn't find anything talking about it. How does this work? Do we have some sort of agreement where the property is considered to be the possession of whichever country it majority lies in?

Also, I noticed that every road between North Dakota and Canada has a border outpost, but what about boating on Lake Metigoshe? Can't you simply boat between the US and Canada with ease?
I have been at that lake at couple of times and have in-laws with summer property there.

From my understanding for boating both Canadian and Americans can use either side as long as you stay in the water and dont dock.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 AM

44 posts, read 63,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I have been at that lake at couple of times and have in-laws with summer property there.

From my understanding for boating both Canadian and Americans can use either side as long as you stay in the water and dont dock.

Yep. he's right. No touchy toe on ground. This all came about after 911.
Used to be able to boat up the Canadian side and walk up to the little grocery store and buy a box of Canadian Taffy.
My brother lives on that lake, great place to visit.
I also have a ton of cousins who have summer cabins there also.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 745,664 times
Legally if you want to navigate a small craft between U.S. and Canadian waters and land ashore you're required to enroll in U.S. Customs and Border Protection's "Small Vessel Report System". This website explains it.

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Default.aspx

This is the CBP Policy: Any person(s) entering the United States by boat from Canada not in possession of a valid I-68 or NEXUS card must physically present themselves for inspection at the nearest CBP facility immediately upon arrival. Inspections may be conducted at the Carbury port of entry. Persons in possession of form I-68 or NEXUS card arriving by boat must call 1-800-505-8381 to report their arrival.

This is the address and telephone number for the CBP Port Office in Souris, ND. It's not far from Lake Metigoshe. It's open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Port of Carbury
10919 Hwy 14 NE
Souris, North Dakota 58783
Phone: 701-228-2540
VesselReport@cbp.dhs.gov

Last edited by irishcopper; 07-06-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 PM

128 posts, read 267,934 times
Thank you all for the very enlightening responses. Can you tell me anything about the specific border discrepancy in the aerial?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 PM

125 posts, read 260,001 times
Thanks for this thread because I've always wondered what it would be like to boat on the Red River from Fargo to Winnipeg. I've asked different places but never got any information about the border crossing procedure.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:15 AM

7 posts, read 7,432 times
This picture raises many questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota