Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times

Advertisements

Since the big cities are being represented here, I thought how about starting a thread for small towns in North Dakota. I think it would be interesting to hear about which ND small town is hot! Why you like your small town. That would help others that may want to move to ND, but are not interested in living in a bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM

I guess there are no small town ND'ns on this forum. Well! Of course, small town people don't either have computers, or their too busy with something more important..

Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
I'll chime in - my dad is from the Strasburg/Linton area. Loved going there as a kid and visiting the local bakery - yum!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM

13 posts, read 51,432 times
I'm having a little trouble loving my small town these days--it's mid-January and I haven't left the house for a week. Not much to love--grey, WINDY, cold, boring . . . I did get my Territorial Seed Catalogue and my Gourmet magazine--but I've read them already. Bummer. Not much else happening.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:51 PM

87 posts, read 332,983 times
Default Small Towns in North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted By MikeyToo
Since the big cities are being represented here, I thought how about starting a thread for small towns in North Dakota. I think it would be interesting to hear about which ND small town is hot! Why you like your small town. That would help others that may want to move to ND, but are not interested in living in a bigger city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I guess there are no small town ND'ns on this forum. Well! Of course, small town people don't either have computers, or their too busy with something more important..
... or maybe they don't really want to recommend their small town for any of a number of reasons!!! (e.g. they want their town to stay small, their town isn't very nice, etc.)

Old 01-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Castello View Post
... or maybe they don't really want to recommend their small town for any of a number of reasons!!! (e.g. they want their town to stay small, their town isn't very nice, etc.)
Dan, thats a good point. I've been back several times to visit my home town of Rugby. I still have several cousins living there that don't even have computers. Hence, they can only interact with live people every day... How crazy is that???? LOL
Plus, they still have gardens and raise a lot of there own vege's. Now that is steller. Nobody does that anymore, do they?
Well, hopefully when wife and I move back to ND next summer, we will have a BIG garden and might even do some canning. Horror! I'm going to have to look up instructions on doing that.
Anyway, you make a good point. I haven't been back to ND for about 42 years, but looking forward to it! Please pray for my wife, she is an almost native born Californian. But, I have to add, is looking forward to the move. She loves fishing!!

PS. Your no relation to Marsha, are you?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM

11 posts, read 29,146 times
I love my small town of Dawson. Moved here about 15 yrs ago. Very friendly people and very easy to become part of everything. My husband and I are volunteer FD, First Responders, & he's a Councilman. During the summer the town puts on a celebration for the 3rd of July (we let everyone else have the 4th). I help organize and work during the evening and hubby does the fireworks.

We have our own mini mall with grocery store, gas station, repair shop and cafe. Plus a bar and of course our produce stand during bedding plant and vegetable season.

We are 48 miles from Bismarck and 49 miles from Jamestown right on the Interstate. So if you're driving by, stop in a have a cup of coffee and visit.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Got a story about a small North Dakota town that had its day of fame about 35 years ago--------Zap ND (pop )218

Seems as though a bunch of bored young people (many college kids from MN) were looking for an adventure. They passed the word that the theme would be "zip to Zap" and they were hoping to get about 1,000 + young people to head there unanounced one weekend, drink the town dry, "take it over" and raise heck.

The newspaper said all went well until the bar owner decided to raise his prices sky high and "make a killing". Many of the visitors ,got mad, went on a rampage and started smashing the town up.
Sheriff and Hwy Patrol had to be called in.

Yup,------"zip to Zap"---- drew a lot of "visitors" to the tiny town that day. (Just not the type of "tourists" one would desire)

Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM

The nice part about living in a small town:

When you don't know what your doing, somebody else always does...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 26,699 times
We're thinking about moving to ND and looking for a small town. Can you tell me something about your area, like avg housing prices, can you find a place with 2-3 ac of land, what's the lay of the land and weather?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota