Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM

351 posts, read 656,502 times

Advertisements

if we had the means to pay moving expenses. We have a small amount of savings, but I'm afraid to let go of it and it would probably take most of it to move. We haven't had financial security in 10 years. My husband is the hardest worker (blue collar) I know, but he lost a great job (union) and hasn't been able to make near as well since. And what he made before was nowhere near 6 figures. We took one chance and moved from GA to the burbs of Charlotte, but where he is working now he's making 20K less per year. I went from being a SAHM to working full-time, so I'm trying to work my way up now, but I'm not making very much working at a university with an accounting degree. We are in our 40s and we feel like potential employers are disregarding us because of our age. We like the Charlotte area much more than where we lived in GA, but the population growth here is out of control. People from the NE are trekking down here in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM

33 posts, read 35,449 times
Hi Gapeach I am from the gulf coast, MS. We currently live in Middle TN and are looking at making a go for an area where we can actually support our family. This state is horrible. We moved away to Northern Oklahoma a few years ago for work, but it dwindled there so we came back. Our son who has bad asthma had too many attacks there. Now, our daughter born after him has severe asthma and allergies to all the trees and grass here too. Anyway, we will purchase an RV to travel (and haul our SUV on the trailer) so that we can more than just barely survive. We'll be using what little we have to go as well. Saving enough to come back here if things don't work out, but obviously, that is not likely going to be the case. We are very serious about being part of a good community and networking. We have to bust our butts to do good, and that's ok

Your husband sounds like mine. He is such a hard worker, yet no one here has anything to offer. Seriously, people fight over minimum wage here ($7.25 an hour) and those applying might be 200-300 people for just one open position. Other than that, it's all temporary services here. They will not hire you unless you already have a job, then they offer no guarantee that you won't be sent home when you show up to work. One to two day assignments here are typical as well.

I've been considering and reading up on ND for a couple years myself, and regret not going way back then. If you ever decide to make the move, and if we end up in the same area, it'd be nice to meet up. We have a very large family. Our kids are from 22 years old (he lives in another state) all the way down to our youngest, who is 7 months old. I home school three of our children, and two attend public school. The rest are too young to attend school at this time. We can do this! Where there's a will, there's a way

Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Hi! You guys sound very brave. I am amazed at the number of people that will sit in their circumstances and not even try for something better. When we moved to Charlotte, I remember asking my husband if we would move back to GA if things didn't work out here. He said no way, why go backwards? Not only did we not have a support system there, the job situation was worse than it is here. We chose Charlotte because it seemed like there was more industry here. Even though neither of us are very close to our parents, we felt a duty to be reasonably close by. I think now that we've adjusted to being 4 hours away, we're willing to move even further out. We were actually considering the Nashville area too, but in the end the Carolinas won out because they're not land locked. Now I just don't know. We've been here 2 1/2 years and things are not getting better. Business is bad where my DH works and his pay has dropped $200-$400 per month. Seems like every time we take one step forward, we take two steps back. Like you said, the pay is subpar and there's too much competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsInManyPlaces View Post
Hi Gapeach I am from the gulf coast, MS. We currently live in Middle TN and are looking at making a go for an area where we can actually support our family. This state is horrible. We moved away to Northern Oklahoma a few years ago for work, but it dwindled there so we came back. Our son who has bad asthma had too many attacks there. Now, our daughter born after him has severe asthma and allergies to all the trees and grass here too. Anyway, we will purchase an RV to travel (and haul our SUV on the trailer) so that we can more than just barely survive. We'll be using what little we have to go as well. Saving enough to come back here if things don't work out, but obviously, that is not likely going to be the case. We are very serious about being part of a good community and networking. We have to bust our butts to do good, and that's ok

Your husband sounds like mine. He is such a hard worker, yet no one here has anything to offer. Seriously, people fight over minimum wage here ($7.25 an hour) and those applying might be 200-300 people for just one open position. Other than that, it's all temporary services here. They will not hire you unless you already have a job, then they offer no guarantee that you won't be sent home when you show up to work. One to two day assignments here are typical as well.

I've been considering and reading up on ND for a couple years myself, and regret not going way back then. If you ever decide to make the move, and if we end up in the same area, it'd be nice to meet up. We have a very large family. Our kids are from 22 years old (he lives in another state) all the way down to our youngest, who is 7 months old. I home school three of our children, and two attend public school. The rest are too young to attend school at this time. We can do this! Where there's a will, there's a way

Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Don't just look at the oil patch, workers are needed in the entire state. Most of the state has unemployment under 3%, so the jobs are here.

The biggest hurdle for most is available housing is tight (East is better than west, and more affordable).

Let me repeat, there are jobs EVERYWHERE in North Dakota.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Yes, I read about the housing shortage. It was like that here when we first moved to the area. Not because of jobs, but because it's so highly desirable to live here. Now they're putting up housing everywhere and traffic is becoming awful. Last night coming home from work, I sat through the red light 6 or 7 times before I could turn at the light coming off the interstate.

Yesterday, Sean Hannity, don't bash me if you don't like him had someone on his show from an oil company and so many people were looking at the jobs that it crashed the website. So many people are unemployed or underemployed.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
As a business owner in North Dakota it always amazes me that things are that bad in other areas. North Dakota has NEVER went into recession during this downturn. So it is almost foreign to us that things are bad out there.

EVERY corner of the state, big towns, small towns, every one is begging for workers.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
Yesterday, Sean Hannity, don't bash me if you don't like him had someone on his show from an oil company and so many people were looking at the jobs that it crashed the website. So many people are unemployed or underemployed.
Lots of people are watching him just for the reason that he has information that is practical for finding a job on his show.

The country didn't go through a recession, it was and IS a depression. ( There is no recovery. ) The whole landscape of finding a job has changed. I could go on an off-topic rant, but ...

I hope you can, at least, make a visit.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM

360 posts, read 811,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
Don't just look at the oil patch, workers are needed in the entire state. Most of the state has unemployment under 3%, so the jobs are here.

The biggest hurdle for most is available housing is tight (East is better than west, and more affordable).

Let me repeat, there are jobs EVERYWHERE in North Dakota.
The rents in Fargo and Grand Forks ARE pretty steep though in the nicer areas.

Fargo ND Apartments for Rent - 15 Rentals - Zillow
Grand Forks ND Homes For Sale & Grand Forks Real Estate - Zillow

And how much do the positions pay?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
if we had the means to pay moving expenses. We have a small amount of savings, but I'm afraid to let go of it and it would probably take most of it to move. We haven't had financial security in 10 years. My husband is the hardest worker (blue collar) I know, but he lost a great job (union) and hasn't been able to make near as well since. And what he made before was nowhere near 6 figures. We took one chance and moved from GA to the burbs of Charlotte, but where he is working now he's making 20K less per year. I went from being a SAHM to working full-time, so I'm trying to work my way up now, but I'm not making very much working at a university with an accounting degree. We are in our 40s and we feel like potential employers are disregarding us because of our age. We like the Charlotte area much more than where we lived in GA, but the population growth here is out of control. People from the NE are trekking down here in droves.
Don't just co consider North.Dakota. North West Minnesota has jobs too. Some are union. Fargo needs blue collar workers more than technicians and white collar.

I don't know what you make at the college, but FEDEX is looking for counter help, they are advertising 11.40 an hour. Menard's is looking for help they are adversing 2.50 weekend pay, I don't k ow the base.

Earlier this year Crystal sugar was offering 14.50 an hour for labor and in the mid to high 20's for skills.

Rent and housing are not cheap, but not terrible either. There are pricy places, and there are not so pricy places. Fargo has low crime although it has picked up some.

Personally,as a Texan, I have been well pleased with the people and the town. It is not the south, I think it is way better. I have avoided the new part of Fargo to the south and west and try to spend my time in North Fargo, down by the river and downtown.

I personally have not looked for a job here because a transfer brought me here and it will probably move me out, even a little sooner than I hoped.

I would think today, right now is the time to pack the car and make a run for it. The weather is getting better, and the work days on the construction sites are getting longer. The rents and houses will not be getting cheaper.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 PM

I'll be honest. We made 61K together this past year (both working FT), paying 1300/mo in rent for a 3 bedroom townhouse. And this was with my DH working 5-10 hours a week in OT! He used to make that by himself while I stayed home with the kids. We have no debt other than a $5K student loan at $65/mo. DH tried going back to school and while he did great in most subjects, he couldn't pass algebra, so he quit. He had to have a stupid algebra class to go into healthcare, which is stupid, but whatever. We have 2 teenage boys and a tween daughter. Our food bill is quite high and that's with eating cheap meals. We need more money coming in, everything has gone up since our children were little, everything but our pay. Our plan was he was going to work at his union job until he retired and once I went to work that would be money we could just sock away. Yeah right. I wanted to be home with the kids, yet not realizing I should've been out there working so I could help support us better now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Don't just co consider North.Dakota. North West Minnesota has jobs too. Some are union. Fargo needs blue collar workers more than technicians and white collar.

I don't know what you make at the college, but FEDEX is looking for counter help, they are advertising 11.40 an hour. Menard's is looking for help they are adversing 2.50 weekend pay, I don't k ow the base.

Earlier this year Crystal sugar was offering 14.50 an hour for labor and in the mid to high 20's for skills.

Rent and housing are not cheap, but not terrible either. There are pricy places, and there are not so pricy places. Fargo has low crime although it has picked up some.

Personally,as a Texan, I have been well pleased with the people and the town. It is not the south, I think it is way better. I have avoided the new part of Fargo to the south and west and try to spend my time in North Fargo, down by the river and downtown.

I personally have not looked for a job here because a transfer brought me here and it will probably move me out, even a little sooner than I hoped.

I would think today, right now is the time to pack the car and make a run for it. The weather is getting better, and the work days on the construction sites are getting longer. The rents and houses will not be getting cheaper.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota