Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 22,259 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I am moving to the Northwest region of ND, SOON!

I'm having trouble finding a landlord who's willing to be honest about the utility costs.

For example, I was on the phone with one the other day who had electric heat in their property and they told me the highest heating bill in the winter is $100 a month.

Now, I live in the Seattle area, where some houses are still on electric heat.....the heating bill here in those homes during the winter are upwards of 300 a month, and the temperature rarely gets below 30 Fahrenheit here.

I'm reading the weather history in ND, and apparently it's not unheard of for the winter to produce -30 Fahrenheit days.

I'm certain I need gel plugs or some other engine warmer for my truck, but more to the point, I'm certain that an electric heating bill will produce a larger bill in the winter.

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to give me the real expectations on an utility bill in ND? And possibly, if you know a landlord from Crosby to Kenmare, ann all places in between, you might send their info my way?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,370,112 times
My friend has electric heat in her apartment, it's about 950 square feet and in the winter they pay $100-$120 a month. The cost of electricity is lower here than it is in Seattle apparently. The landlord wasn't lying to you.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: please, no individual listings. dm the recommendations.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM

746 posts, read 1,733,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMatt View Post
Hi,

I'm having trouble finding a landlord who's willing to be honest about the utility costs.

For example, I was on the phone with one the other day who had electric heat in their property and they told me the highest heating bill in the winter is $100 a month.

Now, I live in the Seattle area, where some houses are still on electric heat.....the heating bill here in those homes during the winter are upwards of 300 a month, and the temperature rarely gets below 30 Fahrenheit here.

I'm reading the weather history in ND, and apparently it's not unheard of for the winter to produce -30 Fahrenheit days.

I'm certain I need gel plugs or some other engine warmer for my truck, but more to the point, I'm certain that an electric heating bill will produce a larger bill in the winter.

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to give me the real expectations on an utility bill in ND? And possibly, if you know a landlord from Crosby to Kenmare, ann all places in between, you might send their info my way?

Thank you all!
My parents typically pay $200-250 nat gas / month in NE N Dakota (where it is much colder), plus $50 to $100 for electricity for a house with about 2200 sq ft, so its more than double a normal apartment size. Keep in mind that the house is heavily insulated, with double and triple pane windows and doors.

Electricity costs can also vary, as those on rural electric cooperatives usually pay less than those on public utilities (like Montana-Dakota, Otter Tail, or Excel Energy).

Apartments can also very depending on how high your thermostat is vs your neighbors, how many neighbors you share walls/floors/ceilings with and how high up you are.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 AM

17 posts, read 22,259 times
Well, if electric is that cheap, what is the justification? Is there a dam in the region?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,184,660 times
The answers you are getting from landlords is probably pretty accurate. Energy costs are much cheaper when you get away from the coast.

You didn't mention what type of housing. an appartment is going to have collective heat because the other appartments keep the other side of your walls warm.

I don't live in North Dakota, however, I use the same power company. My cabin is all electric and my highest winter bill has been as much as $87.

Also, I don't plug my truck (1985 Ford F250 diesel) unless the temp gets down to about -25, and then I don't leave it plugged in all night, I plug it in, go inside and fix breakfast. So it is only plugged in about an hour.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,036,039 times
Regarding electric heat... I did have it in my first house in Grand Forks ND (northeastern ND) as many homes built in the 60s-70s had electric baseboard heating installed instead of gas. But because you get one electric bill, it is hard to tell what part of the bill was due to heat and what part due to other things such as A/C & other devices. But when I was single and lived at that house (1800 sq ft split) the electric bill for me (incl heat/ fans/ computer stuff, washer/dryer, etc) would run 120-150 ish as well total. In rooms I didnt use I had the heat off as often it would stay warm anyhow. And as others mentioned, most homes (unless really old or poorly made) are very highly energy efficient with double pain windows and high insulation.

Fast forward to current house built new in 2003 with about 3500 sq ft we have gas heat and I went from single to a family of 5 with a live in nanny so someone is always at the house versus before when I was single.
Gas to heat the house in the winter runs on the coldest months 160-200/mo. My electric bill is high due to air conditioning, fans, lights on all the time, more washing, electric garage heater, etc and can run 200-250/mo year round....but our family isnt a big conserver of electricity either.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 AM

75 posts, read 162,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMatt View Post
Hi,

Thank you all!
My highest electric bill was $100.00 last winter. (934 sqft). That was the month we were in the -20 range quite a bit. I keep the A/C running most of the time this summer and my highest bill has been $70.00. I am originally from the Pacific Northwest, and my electric bill for the same comfort would have been well over $300.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota