Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,221,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
I heard that Wal-mart in Minot now allows pets into the store, not just assistance dogs and such, but any pets. I can't believe it, can you imagine the damage one dog could do to the merchandise if it lifted it's leg in the store?
Not that Wal-Mart is a bastion of civil liberties but not allowing assistance dogs is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and a couple of others. I would say no but then they did pay huge settlements for making workers do unpaid work during their lunch break and for not promoting women.

In my opinion, considering that nearly all Wal-Mart sells is Chinese goods (and some of the work and supply chain practices appear to be borrowed from the PLA), maybe the manager feels that if he allows dogs, he'll have to allow beef cattle, chickens and kitties next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM

192 posts, read 497,674 times
Ok after the last few days here's my Tally... these come straight from the offices I visited in person.

I wont comment on what I heard on the street or from my contacts or from my sister''s boyfriends brother who dates a girl who's uncle works at a gas station who met a trucker who's third wife said she met a guy at the strip club who said...

Keep in mind I am applying for several different areas at each company, field operations stuff, office stuff, dispatch stuff, so I have a variety of companies listed here....

Strata - No openings, except for Ready Mix Drivers- Talked to District Manager
Sun Well - No openings in Williston, but some opening in Dickenson and accepting applications.
FracTech - No openings, taking apps. Said that if they need Etechs use them from Minot for now.
CalFrac- Taking Apps.. jobs posted online but I did not ask about status.
Power Fuels - Taking Apps for fuel drivers. CDL
SanJel - No openings, didnt even offer me an application
Mitchells - Soon as we walked in "not hiring but will take apps" The weird part... They have HUGE ad on front page of Shopper saying they hiring.
Precision Drilling - No openings, don't know when, fill out app online. (Wouldn't even chat, bad day maybe?)
Tervita - RECRUITER OUT TILL MONDAY - Took App (Formerly CCS)

Every single place I have been... reagrdless of what I am asking about or what I am there for.. they ask about CDL-A. They really need drivers here.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM

32 posts, read 102,273 times
Sanjel is hiring-a friend of ours got a call today to go for an interview. It's interesting how they tell people different things.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 AM

454 posts, read 941,332 times
Heard last night that MBI (formerly Ward Williston) may be closing their shop at the Westhope location and moving everything to the western part of the state, either the Williston, Stanley or Tioga area. Guess time will tell.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 AM

I'm sure it changes on a weekly basis.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM

979 posts, read 3,671,665 times
I know Ward Williston has a small location just outside of Stanley, but it has been there for a couple years now and looks very temporary. (the office is a modular home converted into an office). As far as not hiring. You here that many are no longer hiring. But I too know someone who just got hired on at Halliburton (he and 3 of his friends) all 4 came and attempted to apply over the summer and were told they had to apply on-line (too many walk ins for the local Williston office to attend to) All 4 were hired after a couple months of back and forth interviews. They are all currently at truck driving school and frach school. They were told during their orientation that Halliburton was bringing on a couple hundred more new workers this year. I would suggest people apply ON-LINE as well as show up in person. It is hard to say what these companies want from the potentials anymore. I'm guessing there are thousands of job seekers in the WIlliston area who walk in to shops and businesses looking for work on a daily basis. Must be frustrating for both job seekers and employers as well. Crazey times!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,239,548 times
Quote:
they ask about CDL-A. They really need drivers here.
My husband says he's offered a job several times a week just for being in the truck stop fueling up, or even at the laundry mat the night he stopped in to do laundry and was in his truck... Power Fuels has signs up that they're looking to hire 800 new drivers this year.

I've heard several people on this board suggest getting your CDL permit (which is nothing more than just taking the written test at any local DMV) and then trying to apply for jobs.
I wonder if that's actually working...

Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM

454 posts, read 941,332 times
Here's a spooky rumor: It's floating around Minot that there has been a case of Swine Flu diagnosed and the patient is quarantined.

If it's true, I'm sure the health department will put out a press release - in October, November or December, long after any risk of exposure has long since passed .

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

I've heard several people on this board suggest getting your CDL permit (which is nothing more than just taking the written test at any local DMV) and then trying to apply for jobs.
I wonder if that's actually working...
I'm doing that now. LOL I just mentioned that to a group of guys here and one of them starts at Halliburton tomorrow and he pulled his permit out and showed me. He said they asked him to get it before he started working there.

So if it helps... who knows but sure can't hurt.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,253,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
I'm doing that now. LOL I just mentioned that to a group of guys here and one of them starts at Halliburton tomorrow and he pulled his permit out and showed me. He said they asked him to get it before he started working there.

So if it helps... who knows but sure can't hurt.
So Scorpio.....You are networking and visiting w/ others there looking for jobs?? Sounds like a good thing to do. I feel like you will land one soon....Perseverance. YOu might want to follow-up on your submitted apps the week after....sort of smooze the front office. I recall one young man on here saying that he showed up at the offices a couple times a week. Pretty soon they threw a job at him. If you are the one there when they get the call someone hasn't shown up, you may just get tagged. Good idea on the cdl permit!! Good luck...keep the updates coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota