Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 PM

443 posts, read 807,029 times

Advertisements

While I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if you're not here, you are too late. This boom is saturated with people with bigger and better capital, knowledge, ideas, scams, work ethics, connections, die hard convictions, confidence, and faith in the American Dream.
If you have an idea, it's already been tried. The whores are here, the drugs are here, the food is here, the booze is here, the taxis are here (some complete with whores), - this is a full service community, the only thing lacking is infrastructure and a place to put it.
Jobs?-We got 'em- just bring a clean CDL or oil patch experience, and be willing to roll the dice. The game is rigged and there will be losers. This is a carnival with the worst breed of carneys gleefully waitng for your arrival. Expect to be taken for a ride.
Everyone is in on the game- elected officials, law enforcement, employers/corporations, and the locals. You will play the part of the sucker. If by chance, you somehow succeed in this environment, you will be changed- and not for the better.
If you have anything at all worth holding on to, stay where your at. If you insist on coming, expect to leave a part of yourself here- it may be a physical part, fingers, toes, teeth, etc.
In synopsis, this is a place filled with losers with no other options. Living in a camper is an esteemable societal position here. An individual living in the SNL "van down by the river" mode is considered to be upwardly mobile. Of course there are the "man camps"- if you don't mind the occasional sex offender roomate and are alright with meth labs, the living accomodations are first rate.
The weather has been covered in previous posts. Tents, tipis, popups, and automobiles are not viable living accomodations. Don't try it, you will not succeed.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM

287 posts, read 689,149 times
Some tents are viable such as this one :

-Alaska Tent & Tarp :: Arctic Oven, Wall Tents, Portable Buildings, Secondary Containment

Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM

91 posts, read 295,101 times
You nailed some things, but also sound like someone who tried it out here and failed miserably.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
You nailed some things, but also sound like someone who tried it out here and failed miserably.
-Native to the region and working the boom. Very "successful" according to my banker. -Not living in a van, tent, or man camp.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTeller View Post
Good luck finding a place to pitch it.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Why do you call people that is trying to provide for their families LOSERS ? Lets be all nice here would you?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Good luck finding a place to pitch it.
As of matter of fact I found a place to pitch it so there. Does it bother you?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,913,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
While I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if you're not here, you are too late. This boom is saturated with people with bigger and better capital, knowledge, ideas, scams, work ethics, connections, die hard convictions, confidence, and faith in the American Dream.
If you have an idea, it's already been tried. The whores are here, the drugs are here, the food is here, the booze is here, the taxis are here (some complete with whores), - this is a full service community, the only thing lacking is infrastructure and a place to put it.
Jobs?-We got 'em- just bring a clean CDL or oil patch experience, and be willing to roll the dice. The game is rigged and there will be losers. This is a carnival with the worst breed of carneys gleefully waitng for your arrival. Expect to be taken for a ride.
Everyone is in on the game- elected officials, law enforcement, employers/corporations, and the locals. You will play the part of the sucker. If by chance, you somehow succeed in this environment, you will be changed- and not for the better.
If you have anything at all worth holding on to, stay where your at. If you insist on coming, expect to leave a part of yourself here- it may be a physical part, fingers, toes, teeth, etc.
In synopsis, this is a place filled with losers with no other options. Living in a camper is an esteemable societal position here. An individual living in the SNL "van down by the river" mode is considered to be upwardly mobile. Of course there are the "man camps"- if you don't mind the occasional sex offender roomate and are alright with meth labs, the living accomodations are first rate.
The weather has been covered in previous posts. Tents, tipis, popups, and automobiles are not viable living accomodations. Don't try it, you will not succeed.
I strongly considered making the move to Williston and taking my chances but decided to stay where I am at. I am employed, have a nice home and family and just not willing to roll the dice at my age (50)

However,to those who are struggling to find work where they are at, fairly young and know the hardships they will face, I still think it is a good opportunity.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Somebody is having a bad day perhaps? Live and let live Ursa. Its not your fault that oil is under North Dakota. Its not your fault that the economy is in bad shape . Its not your fault that we are trying to provide for our families. Now if you dont like these conditions you can always move uh?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTeller View Post
As of matter of fact I found a place to pitch it so there. Does it bother you?
So there? Remember, Jax, I was the guy who steered you away from the tipi idea. How's the CDL coming? I was thinking about offering you a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: