Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I was hoping someone here could tell me a bit about Carrington, ND. My husband and I are looking to relocate there, and would like to have an opinion straight from a resident. We currently live in Chicago, IL (I hate it here. LOL), but we are both originally from Michigan. We would like to know things such as how far to any main shopping, entertainment, and is there anyone that can give me a clue on the housing situation. Also, how far to the next town where we might be able to find housing? Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to hear back from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM

394 posts, read 1,170,157 times
I live in Jamestown (40 miles South), and I will help you as much as possible.

Housing shouldn't be a big problem (both rental and purchase). Both should be pretty affordable.

It is a pretty decent community. There is a Alco (think very small Wal-Mart), and several other locally owned hardware, appliance stores, and autoparts. There is a newer grocery store.

The one thing to look at when moving into a small town, is to get to know people right away. They will be suspicious as to why you moved to Carrington, ND from Chicago. So go to the local coffee shop, and other community hang outs, and introduce yourself. Then it would probably help to do some volunteer work of your liking.

As far as major shopping, Jamestown is probably the most common destination. We have a newer super Wally Mart, and most other common mid sized town stores.

Any other questions let me know. I will try to help.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM

And by your username, do yourself a favor, don't get a dog if you are going to be renting. You will probably have a difficult time finding a rental with pets.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
Default Corbay

Hi,
Thanks for replying and offering some helpful hints. My husband applied for a job there, in Carrington, and if all goes well, that would be why we are moving. Now the big part of your second reply. We have 2 cats, are you saying that Carrington is not "pet friendly"? Actually, we were looking into living in Jamestown, as there doesn't seem to be any housing in Carrington. Chicago is not hometown to either of us. We grew up together in a small town in Michigan, and I much prefer that to Chicago. Just yesterday 2 coworkers of my husband's were held up at gunpoint in broad daylight. Back on the subject, I have been offered a couple of jobs, but one was in Williston and the other was in, Minot, I think. Thanks again, and if you know of any particular housing, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks Again

Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 AM

I am a landlord in Jamestown, and will sometimes take pets, but with a large non refundable pet fee.

Housing in Jamestown is also pretty tight, but it is available. Just depends on what you want. Homes are much harder to come by.

As far as working in Minot or Williston, please take a look at the map. They are no where near Carrington. Although Jamestown is much closer. Many folks drive to Carrington to work from Jamestown, or the other way around.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantadog View Post
Hi,
Thanks for replying and offering some helpful hints. My husband applied for a job there, in Carrington, and if all goes well, that would be why we are moving. Now the big part of your second reply. We have 2 cats, are you saying that Carrington is not "pet friendly"? Actually, we were looking into living in Jamestown, as there doesn't seem to be any housing in Carrington. Chicago is not hometown to either of us. We grew up together in a small town in Michigan, and I much prefer that to Chicago. Just yesterday 2 coworkers of my husband's were held up at gunpoint in broad daylight. Back on the subject, I have been offered a couple of jobs, but one was in Williston and the other was in, Minot, I think. Thanks again, and if you know of any particular housing, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks Again
Williston and Minot are not even remotely close, and housing is extremely expensive in those areas. I know New Rockford has some cheap housing available, if you want to move a little bit north of Carrington. It's only about 15 miles away.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM

951 posts, read 745,935 times
Really expensive in ND is still cheaper than Chicago. Williston is expensive because of the oil workers demand for housing there. I'd check out the area 1st. You would be moving to a small town in a mostly rural area. There are grocery stores and stuff but afaik (I haven't traveled those areas for a few years) you aren't going to be shopping at a mall or anything fancy unless you travel to Fargo/Grand Forks or Minot or plan on shopping online. Restaurants, etc. are another thing you won't see a huge variety of unless you travel to a bigger city in ND. The crime rates here are low, maybe one of these cities would fit your desires too, might want to check them out.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,450 times
Default Living in Carrington

Are you still looking for housing in Carrington? [Mod cut]. this is a nice little community, centrally located between our 4 largest cities in ND (Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Minot). Easy 2 hour drive for major shopping and services, and 45 minutes from Jamestown, which has Walmart, K-mart, and some other shopping. Nice school here, and many businesses as well. Gorgeous golf course! Lots of hunting/fishing opportunities nearby.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Advertising not allowed. Send them a DM.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 32,252 times
Carrington is very isolated. So be prepared for that. It's a farm/ranching town, so if you don't really fit in with the farming/ranching crowd, it'll be tough to have much of a social life. The larger cities (Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks) are all more than 2 hours away as well. Jamestown as some stores, but it's going to be a far cry from Chicago. Jamestown is quite small in and of itself - 15,000 people. Housing is cheap, but you may find it hard to find brand-new or up to date, older housing in Carrington. That would be easier in Jamestown, but then you have a lot of driving everyday.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM

203 posts, read 602,903 times
just drove through on way from Minot to Minneapolis. Nice, old style down town, nice parks, and saw some very cute houses. We were impressed. We've lived all over due to gov't jobs, so it isn't like we're just comparing it to NoDak towns.

Only other thing I know is I bought a gun from a Carrington dealer at the the Minot gun show, and he said he loves the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota