Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,325 times

Advertisements

Hi, im 16 years old girl and im going to study abroad. Im looking for a small coastal town in NC, which one do you recommend me? I dont want it so crowdy but a least with a lot of people of my age! Please, i could really use your help.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroscr View Post
Hi, im 16 years old girl and im going to study abroad. Im looking for a small coastal town in NC, which one do you recommend me? I dont want it so crowdy but a least with a lot of people of my age! Please, i could really use your help.
Thanks!
We need a lot more information than what you are supplying. Where do you live now? What would you be studying? Why are you looking, specifically, for a "small coastal town in NC"?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Im living in South America, a country named Paraguay. I dont know, small town, with bakeries, places where i can ride my bike, go for a walk to the beach, hangout with friends, movies.. i guess a small town life. And i'd be in high school, my junior year.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Thanks!
If you get involved with an actual program sponsored thru your school THEY will tell you the names of places where host families are willing to take a foreign student in.

Find out what those options are, then come back and tell us the different location choices an accredited program is giving you, THEN we can tell you the best of all those locations.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Im living in South America, a country named Paraguay. I dont know, small town, with bakeries, places where i can ride my bike, go for a walk to the beach, hangout with friends, movies.. i guess a small town life. And i'd be in high school, my junior year.
And where do you think you'll live while you do this??

What you seem to be proposing is not the way this is done. You can't just come here as a minor from another country and live here alone.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Contact the county school system in Wilmington, NC: http://www.nhcs.k12.nc.us/ Maybe they have an exchange program or can tell you where to find out more information.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-03-2010 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
If you do arrange something, you should think about going to Wilmington. It's not what I'd consider a small town, but you said you want to be around other teenagers, cafes, etc. I hope you are doing this with your parent's or family's permission. Maybe there are special circumstances. I would encourage you to try living overseas, if you can get the proper paperwork, and if you have a safe living situation.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. If you can give us a little more info on what you're doing, it would let us do a better job of helping you.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What you seem to be proposing is not the way this is done. You can't just come here as a minor from another country and live here alone.
Not to mention she'd need a greencard/visa/passport and probably a sponsor.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Yes I know that, im not that stupid to go by my own.... The program thats taking me told me to look for places I'D LIKE TO GO, so they can find me a home that i would like and feel comfortable with. Thats why i ask it here.. I know what im doing. thank you anyways

Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM

272 posts, read 786,761 times
Find out where their host families are first. The United States is a very diverse place; conditions vary within states. North Carolina has small towns, beautiful mountains, scenic countryside - and beautiful beaches and vibrant large cities like Charlotte. And that's just one state of fifty, each with its own history, charm and unique opportunities.

It really depends on what you are interested in, and what your program offers.

I would talk to students who went to some of the places you are interested in. Research them on your own, and work with your program to find the place that is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina