Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 9,625 times

Advertisements

My husband is transferring to Henderson, NC with his job. I would like to live in between Henderson and Raleigh. Can anyone give me any helpful information about the areas?? I'm extremely excited to move!!!! Been stuck in southern IL for the past 11 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl84 View Post
My husband is transferring to Henderson, NC with his job. I would like to live in between Henderson and Raleigh. Can anyone give me any helpful information about the areas?? I'm extremely excited to move!!!! Been stuck in southern IL for the past 11 years!
There are some nice little towns near there.....Wake Forest is the most Northern of the Wake County cities. My husband works in Henderson and we live in WF. It's not a bad commute, but it's not the shortest one either.

You could also look at Franklinton or Louisburg. There is also Creedmoor or even Oxford (though that is over to the side of Henderson, not between there and Raleigh.

What sort of area are you looking for? Do you have to worry about the schools?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM

173 posts, read 939,383 times
Ummmmm----Henderson! I've been there one time. The town is about 5 miles and my cell phone didnt work. I also here they have a DRIVE in movie theatre......
Henderson is not my BOO!
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by autumngal; 12-02-2007 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl84 View Post
Myself, personally, I drove through it during my adventures exploring the area. Again, my personal experience was that I was unimpressed. Not a terrible place by any means, but the area did not make an impact on me enough for me to say that I must visit again. Although, I'm sure over the next decade, developers will develop the hell out of it and, hopefully, some nice shopping will come about as a result. However, I don't remember it being a ghetto sort of area but in a previous post, people were saying that crime was an issue:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...henderson.html

I would think that commuting from the north part of Wake Forest, perhaps, may be a better living option since there are more amenities there and you are still within commuting distance to Raleigh amenities.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM

60 posts, read 221,332 times
Default Henderson = small-town feel

Hi, Citygirl,

I'm currently looking into homes in the same area (Oxford). Henderson and the rest of the Granville County area is still pretty rural, but easily within commuting distance (I work in Durham). Here's what I think:

If you want a small-town feel, this is the area for you. If you want to be in the mix of everything, look elsewhere. Fortunately, the commute is scenic along I85 in this area and not too crowded. If you lived closer to Raleigh and had to get on I40/440, plan on an extra 20-30 minutes commute time, as this is the busiest corridor in rush hour. This probably wouldn't be an issue for you, however, but it's good to know.

One person mentioned development, and this area (north of the metro) is the one that hasn't been taken over - yet. This is a good reason to get in now, while things (homes and land, specifically) are still reasonably-priced and (hopefully) values will go up as the Triangle (Raleigh & Durham metro areas are collectively called the Triangle) stretches out. Other areas in the Triangle include Cary and Chapel Hill, but those are probably too far for a drive to Henderson everyday.

This area is great for me because it's quiet, pretty, not too far from work, and there is plenty of room for pets! The potential for growth is just an added bonus.

Good luck in your move! -H

Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Henderson is the unofficial "gateway" that separates the South from the beginning of the "Northeast Corridor" style states-Virginia being the "Transition". And because of its convenient location on I-85 (the South's main artery) it is a popular drug-trafficking spot.

Used to be a mill town, now suffers from high unemployment and crime. Still big enough to be home to lots of old money and good families however.

PBS's Charlie Rose grew up there and still has a house there.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 12,086 times
Default Oxford is right next door...

I live in Oxford...which is right next door to Henderson. We offer a lower crime rate and better schools than our neighbor Henderson. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not downing Henderson because it is entertainment and shopping central for this region, the region being the north-central border counties. But crime and schools are usually two of the first things looked at. The real estate market here in O-town is good...much better than our neighbor...again, not downing them over yonder. But here, you have choices...our downtown residential district (also a designated historic district) has plenty of opportunities if you are into Revolutionary and pre-Civil War era housing. And there is Oxford Park, an upscale housing development on the outskirts of town...that is, if modern subdivided living is your thing. A new multi-million dollar shopping center is being planned and built on the southwest side of town as well...and as for jobs...Oxford is home to Revlon...well not to the company, but to it's largest manufacturing plant...which employs approximately 2000 people. And they are planning a $50 Million expansion here.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 16,944 times
live in Raleigh. Raleigh is a great place to live. Henderson is a little more rural and further away from shopping and everything else. Not bad if you want to be on the outskirts. It is close to Wake Forest which is not bad. Wake Forest has some shopping but .... if you like malls you will need to travel a little distance away for a mall...Would you like me to send you some listings for Henderson?

Check out this website.
Welcome to the City of Henderson, North Carolina

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-09-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: realtor solicitation

Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,074 times
Default Henderson

Born there and lived there most of my life. High crime and horrible schools. Many murders go unsolved. Good ole boy network politics. About 10-20 years behind in many aspects. Many very slummy looking neighborhoods. Many very poor, uneducated people. My parents, grandparents, and sisters still live there, but I wish they'd move. I'd feel much better about them. Lock your home and car up tight!! Kerr Lake is nice, but that's about it. Choose Oxford, Wake Forest, Louisburg, Raleigh, etc. instead. You'll be much happier.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM

11 posts, read 35,229 times
Default Do Not Move To Henderson!!!!

I had the unfortunate experience of living in Henderson for four years, and they were the four longest years of my life. My husband and I were lulled by the fact that it was close to the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) and thought that it had to be progressive enough. We were also enticed by the low cost of housing and we bought a beautiful home in the Country Club area by the golf course.

Then we found out the kind of community Henderson really is...and that beautiful home we bought...it took OVER a year to sell and we barely broke even.

We had tried to do research on Henderson on the internet, but there is very little information out there. We relied instead on the info for the Triangle. Henderson is NOT the Triangle.

Some happy facts about Henderson:
*One of the highest employment rates in the state (in fact, it was NUMBER ONE for several years running)
*The highest teen pregnancy rate in NC
*The highest property crime rate in NC
*One of the worst school systems in NC. In fact, the school system was part of a lawsuit against the state to receive funding because it is so poorly funded.
*A jail where there have been numerous escapees in a middle of a neighborhood just a couple of blocks from the much-vaunted, white elephant library
*Outrageous property taxes that pay for absolutely NOTHING since the majority of the population are not homeowners (below-standard housing abounds and there are many burned out houses)
*One of the largest Medicaid populations in the NC, which means much of your taxes goes toward supporting those who are on Medicaid (NC forces counties to pay a huge burden of Medicaid expenses--the only state to do so.)
*Rampant racism...I have lots of experience with this. I am Hawaiian but everyone thought I was Mexican, and I was harassed on the street on a constant basis by both blacks and whites. It was frightening and scary as a petite female.
*Incompetent government and leadership. Some of the biggest morons run this city as well as the county. I would suggest reading the blog at homeinhenderson.com if you want details and specifics.

This is just the tip of the iceburg.

I would strongly suggest living in Wake Forest or Creedmoor. Henderson has a current exodus of residents. That is why the housing prices seem so low for some of the beautiful housing that's on the market. Keep away from Vance and Warren counties. It's too bad because there are some pretty areas but the social issues and crime rate make it a bad choice (strange, given how rural these areas are.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina