Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Atlanta area from 1960 to 1970 when it was a nice place to live. The last thing Charlotte needs is to become another Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 AM

1,967 posts, read 954,462 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

I think a secession is in order. "Charlotte, Carolina" has a nice ring to it don't ya think?

Your not that far off in terms of secession. However, you missed the boat by about 250 years.
The State of Franklin existed for only about 4 years before it failed and reentered North Carolina.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I am a native and politics be damned, NC is very very very incompetent in regard to highways roads, etc. I think it must be the way DOT works. Something is fundamentally wrong.

In NC, you often pass construction sites with NOTHING GOING ON, but in most other states, GA and SC in particular, it seems when they are doing road work, they are working.

I expect it is matter of contractors having bought off the real decision makers that write the contracts. They must be slack, lack penalty clauses, and generally don't get it done.

I know it is easy to blame Bev Perdue, but eastern NC has ALWAYS enjoyed overwhelming abundance of roads, bridges, etc. It is generally that way to help those in Raleigh get to the beach FASTER. Sad but true.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am a native and politics be damned, NC is very very very incompetent in regard to highways roads, etc. I think it must be the way DOT works. Something is fundamentally wrong.

In NC, you often pass construction sites with NOTHING GOING ON, but in most other states, GA and SC in particular, it seems when they are doing road work, they are working.

I expect it is matter of contractors having bought off the real decision makers that write the contracts. They must be slack, lack penalty clauses, and generally don't get it done.

I know it is easy to blame Bev Perdue, but eastern NC has ALWAYS enjoyed overwhelming abundance of roads, bridges, etc. It is generally that way to help those in Raleigh get to the beach FASTER. Sad but true.
What makes you think the city of Raleigh has anything to do with the roads in eastern NC, when roads in Raleigh are in bad shape? You are aware that almost all of NC's politicians aren't from the Triangle aren't you? Roads in Raleigh are a disgrace, at least Charlotte has some slightly more up to date roadways. Raleigh's are pathetic. Nothing but trash, potholes, crooked, and poor signage,no lighinting, outdated exits, soft sholders............................ I could go on forever! I've written letters with NO ANSWERS as to why our infrastructure is so lacking.

People love to point fingers at the city of Raleigh, without even witnessing our poor roadways.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
What makes you think the city of Raleigh has anything to do with the roads in eastern NC, when roads in Raleigh are in bad shape?
Simple, live on a route to the beach. DOH!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Simple, live on a route to the beach. DOH!!!!
Highways 40/85 from Raleigh to Charlotte are much better. They're wider, mostly lit, and more up to date. Your point is mute.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
What makes you think the city of Raleigh has anything to do with the roads in eastern NC, when roads in Raleigh are in bad shape? You are aware that almost all of NC's politicians aren't from the Triangle aren't you? Roads in Raleigh are a disgrace, at least Charlotte has some slightly more up to date roadways. Raleigh's are pathetic. Nothing but trash, potholes, crooked, and poor signage,no lighinting, outdated exits, soft sholders............................ I could go on forever! I've written letters with NO ANSWERS as to why our infrastructure is so lacking.

People love to point fingers at the city of Raleigh, without even witnessing our poor roadways.
Saying "the folks in Raleigh" often refers to the state politicians, just as saying "the folks in Washington" refers to Federal politicians. It's well-known that several roads to the beach were aided by well-connected politicians from that district. I do not think the OP was referring to the city of Raleigh, but "legislators up in Raleigh"

Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 PM

542 posts, read 992,119 times
It's the same argument in every state with a large metro area. The large metro feels underfunded while the rural areas feel that the city(s) get all their money. Where I live in VA it's a constant battle between NOVA and the ROVA over road funding. I'm sure NY/LI feel the same way about upstate NY and vice versa. Same in PA with Philly and Pitt vs. the middle and so on. Since you're from ATL you probably don't notice it but I'm sure people in Savannah or Valdosta don't like the fact they spend taxes to fix and build roads in Atlanta they might never use. I was just in eastern NC on Rt. 17 to Rt. 13 coming from New Bern and the roads were not bad, but not great either. I thought more signs were needed as I made a few wrong turns. While I find the interstates in SC to be sufficient, I detoured through back roads one year and was shocked at the disrepair of some of the roads. Big cracks with actual grass growing from them and some type of black tar like paper flapping out of sections of the pavement. This was a US route south of Columbia too.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 AM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I lived in the Atlanta area from 1960 to 1970 when it was a nice place to live. The last thing Charlotte needs is to become another Atlanta.
Good point! At times, you have people labeling Charlotte as an “Atlanta wannabe.” At one point in time, I wanted to move to Charlotte but I just couldn't cope with it. All the previous responses explain why Charlotte is not like any other North Carolina city I have been to. It's a different world in its own. Another thing we also don't need is another Raleigh

Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Surprisingly, this (funding for roads/transportation) seems to be an issue where the neighbor to the south tends to do it better. Certainly there are issues (bridge maintenance in particular is a huge issue, but also in NC also), but the SCDOT tends to do an OK job. I was actually surprised that I-77 in York County got widened and resurfaced sooner than I-77 in Mecklenburg.
Exactly! I know it's been a while since I've visited my family in SC, but everytime I travel I-77 to Columbia, I'm always impressed with how they maitain their roads. In NC, it's an entirely different story. I say we have the worst maintained roads in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina