Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:05 PM

170 posts, read 878,049 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Wake Forest. I could not believe the size of the subdivisions. The land was stripped of trees, the homes were Mc Mansions on top of each other and you could reach out and touch the house next door. Also the subdivisions are far too large with thousands of homes. I would imagine with that sort of groth there has to be some sort of problems. Is it easy to find employment? What are the winters and summers like? Looking for something new but quaint and country like but still close to shopping. Any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about Old Fields or Snow Hill Preserve. I have been checking things out up and down the east coast from Hilton Head to Pa, and North Carolina. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
I recently visited Wake Forest. I could not believe the size of the subdivisions. The land was stripped of trees, the homes were Mc Mansions on top of each other and you could reach out and touch the house next door. Also the subdivisions are far too large with thousands of homes. I would imagine with that sort of groth there has to be some sort of problems. Is it easy to find employment? What are the winters and summers like? Looking for something new but quaint and country like but still close to shopping. Any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about Old Fields or Snow Hill Preserve. I have been checking things out up and down the east coast from Hilton Head to Pa, and North Carolina. Any suggestions?
Thanks
There are some large ones in Wake Forest....Heritage comes to mind....but that is hardly there is all to the town. Did you go downtown? Go through the Historic District? We still have plenty of trees. Much of the new section of Heritage was farming fields...not many trees were in that area to begin with. Other subdivisons have kept many mature trees. It's also a golf course.....trees tend to get in the way on a par 4.

Anymore, Wake Forest is a suburb of Raleigh.....it's not rural.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I am not explaining myself. I want a country feel but close to shopping. I was in Heritage. Beautiful homes but the community is too large. Any suggestions???

Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I am not explaining myself. I want a country feel but close to shopping. I was in Heritage. Beautiful homes but the community is too large. Any suggestions???
Yes, Heritage is a large area.....not for everyone, though it is nice.

How far away do you want to be from a shopping area? Are schools important? Where is your job?

There is probably areas around the Triangle that would work for you, but it really depends on how 'country' you want to be.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:50 PM

I guess I would like to be 10-15 minutes or less to shopping. I don't have kids so schools are not that important, but I don't want to be in a school disctrict that will have poor re-sale (always have to think of that). I guess when I say country I don't mean acerage but a nice subdivision with some space between homes on a decent size lot with trees. Yes, Heritage is very nice just too large for me. My husband is retired but I am younger and still want to work. I have done a lot of administrative (import/export) work and am currently a Realtor, but would prefer not to stay with that. I hope that gives you more info.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 AM

105 posts, read 391,250 times
Fallgirl; may I suggest Apex, Fuquay Varina, and Holly Springs? All three are small towns are just outside of Raleigh (SE Wake County) and have the basics (gas, grocery stores, Fuquay has Walmart) and are 10-20 minutes from Raleigh and Cary. Apex is very close to Cary, which has tons and tons of shopping.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks, I will check out those areas. I guess what I am looking for is an area with the charm of Hendersonville NC, but not so far up into the mountains. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Try looking at Greenville (NC, not SC). I live out in the country but I'm only 10 minutes to shopping and 15 minutes to the mall. Greenville still has a lot of small town charm in the downtown area but has tons of metro type shopping out at the edges. I know you would like to get away from Realtor type of work but there is a lot of that here. Medical is huge here and you may be able to find administrative type work there.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Try looking at Greenville (NC, not SC). I live out in the country but I'm only 10 minutes to shopping and 15 minutes to the mall. Greenville still has a lot of small town charm in the downtown area but has tons of metro type shopping out at the edges. I know you would like to get away from Realtor type of work but there is a lot of that here. Medical is huge here and you may be able to find administrative type work there.
Thanks Richard. I actually spoke with one of my fellow Realtors today and she told me the same thing. She said to check out Travelers Rest and a few other locations. I also love Hendersonville, very charming. I was in Apex/Cary today very nice area. Crowded but very nice. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM

31 posts, read 103,251 times
Default Southern towns:

Cameron NC: Old south, antique capital, 20 min to Southern Pines-Golf Capital.

Southern Pines: retirement community pricey and not, depends, nice airport. lots of amenities.

Sanford: blue collar town, southwest of Ral-30 min, still growing, still managable. busy real estate. ie; We have 5.8 acres lot for sale with pond and woods, in town, 3 min to shopping. 35-50min to major airports. Check out leecountync.com, look up the mapping section and GIS program. The lot is pin number 9651-46-6921-00

Moncure: south of Cary by 20 minutes. Still very rural.

Pittsboro: same as above but a little 60s retro. (most promising for the proximity to the triangle)

Carthage: red neck, rural, 20 min to Southern Pines. 40 min to Raleigh. Quiet.

Back on Thurs eve.

Regards,
Chuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina