Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 19,369 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance want to move to North Carolina. I am a lawyer, 38, and he is a chef, 29. We have no kids yet, but are looking to start a family soon. My future in-laws are also looking to move. We like restaurants, theater, etc., but also enjoy hiking, scuba and outdoor activities. We also want space. I have been reading about alternatives and thought that Cary, Briar Creek, and the Triangle (I am not sure what this is) sound good. I have also heard great things about Ashville. Any suggestions as to where to begin? We are planning a trip to visit the area and have yet to make the final arrangements. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM

105 posts, read 391,868 times
kiwi2,

The Triangle is the Raleigh/Durham area of NC and surrounding towns (Wake Forest, Cary, Garner, Apex, etc).

Given that you like hiking and outdoor activities, Asheville would be worth checking out; however, for restaurants and theatres, Raleigh would be a good place to look. It may be a little easier to find a job in Raleigh.

Not an expert on the area, but if you need any info on the 'Triangle', please feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to help you...

PS: I moved up to Raleigh from West Palm Beach and haven't looked back!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 32,585 times
The best city experience with good job opportunities would probably be in Raleigh. You would be close to the coast & there are a lot of outdoor activities available.

Ashville is a wonderful little town in the Blue Ridge mountains. If you are looking for the 4-seasons in a senic area it can't be beat. It's turning into a hot spot for many people but geographically is limited as far as housing goes. Finding employment may also be more challenging.

If I were you I'd fly into Raleigh, drive to Wilmington, then back to Chapel Hill, before going to Ashville.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 PM

648 posts, read 2,983,828 times
A vote for Asheville, and a note that it's not a "little town." There are as many people living in Buncombe County as there are in Durham county, for comparison. Compared to Miami, though, it's surely a little town!

For job opportunity in general, I'd say Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte (and probably Greensboro or Wilmington) would be better than Asheville, but your two occupations lend themselves well to the current Asheville job market.

...not much SCUBA up here, though

Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM

80 posts, read 462,183 times
Great options abound in North Carolina. If I had to pick one area for someone moving from Miami Beach with your interests, it would be Southeastern North Carolina- and more specifically, Wilmington or Brunswick County. Brunswick County, located between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, is now one of the fastest growing counties in the country so employment opportunities will become more plentiful. There are also a number of new communities springing up. Wilmington has an active historic district and some great restaurants, including Elijah's and Caffe Phoenix. I would take a carriage or a trolley ride and also check out The Cotton Exchange and Chandler's Wharf for unique shops downtown. The Bridge Tender in Wrightsville Beach is also one of my personal favorites for restaurants. Britt's Donuts in Carolina Beach has the best donuts in the world, and you can enjoy a dinner or evening cruise from the yacht basin nearby.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM

169 posts, read 779,051 times
I'd go for Chapel Hill-- it has great restaurants and entertainment, with the university in town, and it's right next to Durham and Raleigh so it has a big-city type of thing going on as well.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,914,738 times
You'd have to include Charlotte as well. LOTS to do recreationally. Outdoor activites (lakes, U.S. National Whitewater Center), the arts, big law firms uptown, Johnson & Wales University (chef opportunities with very nice restaurants/hotels all over the city), affordable living.

As one poster said, Asheville would be worth a look too. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM

41 posts, read 196,459 times
Thumbs up Suggestion - Winston, Greensboro, High Point Area

I would like to suggest you consider the Winston, Greensboro, High Point area as a good possibility. Winston has the Stevens Center and Sawtooth Center, Greensboro has the Carolina Theater and High Point has the High Point Theater which is currently hosting Amadeus: The Atlantic Ballet Theatre of Canada. This area is two hours from the mountains and three from the coast. Because of where it is situated it is protected from most damaging weather like Hurricanes, floods, etc. The biggest problem in this area is ice storms in the winter and humidity in the summer (which, I expect you are accustomed to). Outdoor activities here run the full spectrum for do-it-yourself or groups or clubs. Schools in the area have been discussed quite a bit on other posts, but for the most part are pretty solid (in my opinion). The area is growing with Dell, Fed Ex just two of the top companies coming into the area. Restaurants are being created supporting a very good base (I speak from experience because I like to go out to different ones). As a note to you, Elon University just opened a new Law School downtown Greensboro and I would expect you are aware of the Wake Forest Law School. Which allows for plenty of opportunity for you to open your own practice, join one of the established firms and/or teach. If this sounds of interest to you, just contact me because I can also inform you on housing, farms, land and such. No, I am not a realtor - it is just a hobby of mine. Also, I am quite proud of my little piece of heaven (but don't let that get out or others might want to join in). Either way, I wish you the best and welcome to North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina