Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 241,800 times

Advertisements

For the last week I've been reading a lot of threads in the NC and SC forums. I don't know much about NC although I have heard and read about the job opportunities, quality of life, and it seems that the Charlotte area is a big draw for many people. Likewise, it appears that SC is also becoming highly desireable for people to relocate to for various reasons.

We decided to get out of the Wash, DC area earlier this year and as of next weekend (7/15) we are moving to N. Charleston, SC and will be eventually living in Summerville once our home is completed. It's a moot point for us since we are commited to SC, but I am very interested to learn what differences exist between the two areas.... both pro's and con's.

Originally, I am a Marylander (just outside of Wash, DC and not a yankee although both parents are Brooklyn and Bronx bred) and have lived in the Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA area for the last 12 yrs.

I'm curious to what you all have to say and will appreciate thoughtful comments. Many thanks! Cheers, Grace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 PM

29 posts, read 97,210 times
Default Differences Between the Carolinas

Both of the Carolinas are rapidly changing. I have lived a total 20 years between the two (Charleston, Summerville, Wilmington, Charlotte). Honestly I believe Charleston is the best place to live on the east coast. The school system is not that great , but there several good private schools. The summerville school system has always been considered one of the better systems in the state, but right now it is likely having some growing pains. Expect some overcrowding in middle and high school classes. When i graduated in 1991 we had 845 people in my class. All things considered Summerville is a good value, but beware of the traffic on Interstate 26.

any specific question let me know, I still go down to Charleston frequently.

God bless

jake

Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
I don't think that South Carolina is hit by as many hurricanes as North Carolina has been. That is due to the location of the Outer Banks for one thing. But as far as weather is concerned, I doubt there being little difference unless heaven forbid it is hotter down there. But I can't respond to the economy or the land and housing costs. But I know there is someone around here that can. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina