Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,050,962 times

Advertisements

We are still very Southern. We have Pig Pickin's, Deb Ball's, Covered Dish Dinner's at Church and family reunions, we still bring new neighbors a pecan pie to welcome them, we name our kids after our great uncle that fought in the War(we know which one), we love to double name our daughters, every southern girl will always say Daddy no matter how old they are, we still eat grits, country sausage, liver mush, snap beans, nabs, co-cola(with peanuts sometimes), field peas, barbecue(eastern or Lexington style not brats or burgers), Texas Pete, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and good ole salty country ham. We never miss a funeral that we should be at. We turn our headlights on while riding in the procession(sp?) and pullover when we come across a strangers funeral. We can all name a male hero relative that fought against the Yankees in the War of Northern Aggression. Many of us raise our kids to be proud Southerners. My kids know the name of General R E Lee's horse that is buried beside the greatest General ever at Washington and Lee College- Traveler. The best way to sum it up is by repeating what my Grandaddy taught me. American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God. Look Away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I wouldn't say NC is less Southern than VA. In Northern VA you won't find a southern accent anywhere (forget about southern culture...you can't even get sweet tea there) and Tidewater you barely will. Even the 40-60 y/o natives of Northern VA don't have a southern accent and that is 1/3rd of the states population.
When a friend of mine moved to Richmond from Raleigh, he said that he didn't know that he could go North and South at the same time.
I also don't agree with a previous post that NC is more Southern than West Virginia. I think the opposite.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Default reply

WVA is not truly Southern. They border PA and Ohio and were not part of the original CSA. Southern is very unique and limited to a few special states. WVa is a beautiful state with great citizens. Many of whom are more southern than Yankee, but anyone that thinks that WVa is more Southern than NC does not know much about the South or history. And that is a fact.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,248,013 times
Uncletupelo, actually most of West Virginia, 24 counties constituting about 2/3 of the state, voted to secede from the US and were therefore part of the CSA. Only 9 of the 50 counties failed to provide at least one company of soldiers to the CSA. Some supplied over a regiment. 6 counties together provided about 8 regiments for the CSA. So don't be mean about West Virginia.

Last edited by Bobilee; 04-20-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Default reply

WVa is a great state. WVa was not part of the CSA. They joined the USA in 1863 before the war's end. WVa had 50 counties and 24 of those were for joining Virginny. That is less than one half, not two thirds.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 04-20-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Default reply

History says there are 11 states that were part of the Confederate States of America. Those great states are Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana. No more and no less. God Bless the CSA. Confederate Memorial Day is May 10th and I will fly our flag with pride and a tear in my eye. North Carolina gave more and lost more men than any other southern state.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,645,055 times
Well, our girls still win beauty contests. Miss NC is now Miss USA.

So I said to myself, "Self, you will just have to be a fine example of what this state is all about." And yes, you will think I am ignorant when I don't notice I have been insulted. I don't have to be rude or blow horns, etc. just because others do. Sorry, I have had some weak moments on here, but today I am turning over a new leaf. It may last past breakfast. LOL

Have a blessed day everybody.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,248,013 times
UncleT, here is my blog on WV history. West Virginians did not join the Union of their own free will. Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Congress considered West Virginia part of the Confederacy. http://www.geocities.com/leebobi/West Virginia The Other History

Last edited by Bobilee; 04-20-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,565,562 times
Southern didn't necessarily mean Confederate and Northern didn't mean Union. Union and Confederacy where what government you supported rather than just strictly geography. Every Southern state had union factions (sans South Carolina) and there were some Northern states that had troops fighting for the Confederacy.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
We are still very Southern. We have Pig Pickin's, Deb Ball's, Covered Dish Dinner's at Church and family reunions, we still bring new neighbors a pecan pie to welcome them, we name our kids after our great uncle that fought in the War(we know which one), we love to double name our daughters, every southern girl will always say Daddy no matter how old they are, we still eat grits, country sausage, liver mush, snap beans, nabs, co-cola(with peanuts sometimes), field peas, barbecue(eastern or Lexington style not brats or burgers), Texas Pete, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and good ole salty country ham. We never miss a funeral that we should be at. We turn our headlights on while riding in the procession(sp?) and pullover when we come across a strangers funeral.
I really like the distinction others have made between "rural southern" and "urban southern." I'll put my vote in for NC still being Southern through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
In the cities, like Raleigh, inside the beltline you will find people I would classify as southern... with those gorgeous homes, classic style, and impeccable manners.
I guess I used to be one of those "inside the Beltline" genteel Southerners. LOL At least that's where I grew up... my older sister 'bout strangled me when I turned down my debutante invitation (in the rebellious early 70's). She went through with hers because she didn't want to jeopardize my chance to be invited (we weren't 7 generation bluebloods). LOL

Anyway, I moved to upstate SC (not as southern as it used to be either) last year, and one of my new neighbors had the audacity to say I wasn't really Southern because I was from NORTH Carolina. Hmpf!!! I still bleed Tarheel blue.

Speaking of Deb Balls, it's been interesting to see how many different debutante organizations there are here in the Upstate. Way more than in NC, but I don't know if they have a statewide ball like the Terpsichorean Ball in Raleigh. It seems like there is a different group of deb pictures in the paper here every week... bless their hearts.

Last edited by roadpony; 04-21-2009 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina