Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter and I are moving to NC next month and we are not really sure where to start in terms of location. We want to live in a nice community that's friendly but also a community where houses are separated by a little land for privacy. I'm looking for a great school system since my daughter is a Freshman (big year!) and was wondering if anyone knew the months that the kids are normally in school? I hear you guys get out in May. Rent pricing is a big thing for me so some place that has 3 or 4bdrms for anywhere from $900-$1400/mo. A friend of mine used to visit a friend in Wake County and she says it's really nice there. Any feedback from any NC residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM

3,308 posts, read 8,571,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCarolinaBound View Post
My husband, daughter and I are moving to NC next month and we are not really sure where to start in terms of location. We want to live in a nice community that's friendly but also a community where houses are separated by a little land for privacy. I'm looking for a great school system since my daughter is a Freshman (big year!) and was wondering if anyone knew the months that the kids are normally in school? I hear you guys get out in May. Rent pricing is a big thing for me so some place that has 3 or 4bdrms for anywhere from $900-$1400/mo. A friend of mine used to visit a friend in Wake County and she says it's really nice there. Any feedback from any NC residents?
Wake County is the county seat of Raleigh. You might get some better responses by visiting the "Triangle" board.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,459,956 times
Schools start in August. Please give us more info. so we can help you better. This is a big state with 100 counties and more than 100 school districts. Do you want to live in large city? A small town? Do you prefer the mountains, piedmont or the coastal areas? Do you need to be close to stores? Do you hate traffic? Dp you have any deal breakers that you must, or must not, have?

This is a great state! With your budget you can afford to live almost anywhere. The more details you give, the more pointers you'll receive,

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
So...you are independently wealthy and have no need of jobs?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 AM

635 posts, read 3,095,458 times
If you choose the Triangle/Triad area, you might consider Sanford.

We are a nice mid-sized city with a small town feel, almost perfectly centered in the state, so are a easy drive to many of the state's resources such as mountains and beach. We also are almost equidistant, centered, between Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham/Cary, and Fayetteville.

Cost of living is low, and we have developments ranging from gated golf courses, historic neighborhoods, to rural farmland... all within 10 minutes of each other.

If you like a smaller town ambiance with all the conveniences of a bigger town or mid-sized city, then Sanford may be a community to consider.

We moved here from CA 3 years ago and have been very happy with our choice. Sanford isn't perfect, but it really is a nice place for families, and the city and community has been investing steadily in the area for a decade or more, and it shows.

Some Sanford links:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

A site with some maps showing Sanford relative to the rest of the state(click "maps"):

Live Well Centered.

Good luck!
Al

Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,353,139 times
Quote:
You're moving here next month, but you don't know where?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 AM

983 posts, read 3,992,080 times
Regular school term (not year-round school) is August 25th until June 9th. This is mandated by state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina