Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 158,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts on here. You all seem like a helpful bunch!

My husband and I and our two sons (ages 5 and 2) are planning to move from NH to NC. We have some specific needs however, and I don't know where to begin! I'm hoping perhaps some of you can point me in the right direction.

Here is what we would like:
- low crime
- good schools (one of our sons has mild learning delays)
- a 3 BR home under $200k
- be within 30 miles of a 1/4 drag racing track (husband races a vintage truck!)

Also, I have a specialty food business here in NH that I started from scratch, www.dippychick.com , that I will need to move to NC. My dream is to not only make my products, but to open a store to the public. I'd really like to open a country store and not only sell my products, but other gourmet foods and gifts.

If I could throw in a couple of other wants, they would be to have access to a lake (I am a major lake person.) and to live near someplace that has character - like a historical district, and not just strip malls. It would also be great to have access to a city within an hour's drive.

As for the race track, I know there is one in Rockingham, Jacksonville and Fayetteville. As long as we are within 30 miles, it's fine. My husband can buy a trailer for his vehicle.

If anyone has any ideas of where to start my research I'd super appreciate it! Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,080,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanisco View Post
Hi everyone! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts on here. You all seem like a helpful bunch!

My husband and I and our two sons (ages 5 and 2) are planning to move from NH to NC. We have some specific needs however, and I don't know where to begin! I'm hoping perhaps some of you can point me in the right direction.

Here is what we would like:
- low crime
- good schools (one of our sons has mild learning delays)
- a 3 BR home under $200k
- be within 30 miles of a 1/4 drag racing track (husband races a vintage truck!)

Also, I have a specialty food business here in NH that I started from scratch, www.dippychick.com , that I will need to move to NC. My dream is to not only make my products, but to open a store to the public. I'd really like to open a country store and not only sell my products, but other gourmet foods and gifts.

If I could throw in a couple of other wants, they would be to have access to a lake (I am a major lake person.) and to live near someplace that has character - like a historical district, and not just strip malls. It would also be great to have access to a city within an hour's drive.

As for the race track, I know there is one in Rockingham, Jacksonville and Fayetteville. As long as we are within 30 miles, it's fine. My husband can buy a trailer for his vehicle.

If anyone has any ideas of where to start my research I'd super appreciate it! Thank you!!!!
To be near to Rockingham I would suggest you check out Pinehurst and Southern Pines - two very nice areas where your business may have a chance at getting off the ground.

I would forget trying to live near or in Fayetteville, and you could look in the town of Jacksonville itself. Best of luck to you

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,143,238 times
Greenville has most, if not all, of what you're looking for.

The schools I'm not too knowledgeable about. They must not be too bad since my daughter is moving here with my 4 year old grand daughter and soon to be second grand daughter. She's kinda picky about her children and has done her research.

Crime here is just like anywhere else. You have your good parts and you have your bad parts. Any reputable real estate agent will steer you clear of the bad parts.

3 bed - 2 bath homes under $200k are aplenty here. My wife and I bought a 3 bed - 2 bath 1600 sq ft. brick rancher on 1.3 acres with a (your husband would like this) 32 by 32 detached garage in the country (10 minutes to Greenville) for $121,000.

We have 2 quarter mile drag strips less than an hour's drive from here.

Lake Mattamuskeet while not being right around the corner from Greenville is in the area and is the largest natural lake in North Carolina. The Dismal Swamp is also nearby and it has some great nature trails and canoe trips.

http://www.albemarle-nc.com/mattamuskeet/

For history you only need to make a 45 minute drive from Greenville to historic New Bern. New Bern is the birthplace of Pepsi. It also has a great historic downtown with lots of museums, shops and restaurants to see. New Bern has gone way out of their way to reserve their historic district and it is one of the nicest places I've ever been that mixes the old with the new. Very nice.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 28,019 times
Default Check out the Charlotte area

Hi-

I am a Charlotte native and my family is big into dirt track racing. So I know a little about the culture. Charlotte at one point had a huge drag way, it was called shuffle town, but that was closed years ago. There was a big legal fight over it. Now the closest dragway to us is Mooresville, that is about 25 mintues north of Charlotte. Check out this list http://www.wsoctv.com/nascar/6249380/detail.html. Also take a look at the racing info page there, you will find Charlotte is a racing town. If you have a gourmet food biz Charlotte or Huntersville both have high end retail areas that you would suit your needs. Huntersville is very close to Mooresville and the schools there are great. Sounds like you need to be close to a big metro area for your business.

I am a realtor here so if you want a relocation package let me know, also if you have any specfic questions about the racing culture here let me know and I will call my dad. He has his own dirt team.

Good luck

Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM

32 posts, read 158,827 times
Smile Thanks!

Thank you all SO MUCH for the info.This at least gives me a starting point. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 AM

473 posts, read 1,582,832 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfagan View Post
Hi-

I am a Charlotte native and my family is big into dirt track racing. So I know a little about the culture. Charlotte at one point had a huge drag way, it was called shuffle town, but that was closed years ago. There was a big legal fight over it. Now the closest dragway to us is Mooresville, that is about 25 mintues north of Charlotte. Check out this list http://www.wsoctv.com/nascar/6249380/detail.html. Also take a look at the racing info page there, you will find Charlotte is a racing town. If you have a gourmet food biz Charlotte or Huntersville both have high end retail areas that you would suit your needs. Huntersville is very close to Mooresville and the schools there are great. Sounds like you need to be close to a big metro area for your business.

I am a realtor here so if you want a relocation package let me know, also if you have any specfic questions about the racing culture here let me know and I will call my dad. He has his own dirt team.

Good luck
I like Huntersville but can they really find something for under $200k? We thought we would and weren't impressed with what our money would get us in that range. We had friends with the same idea that moved to Harrisburg and we all ended up around $260's, but we're used to new/newer construction and our houses are about 2700-2900 sq ft. Also, our husbands work and travel a lot, so they aren't around so much for repair and maintenance...

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:27 AM

89 posts, read 418,267 times
As far as tracks - thinking of the ones my boyfriend races at... Mooresville, Farmington, Kinston, Rockingham, Piedmont (in Julian), Benson, Fayetteville, Jacksonville, and Outer Banks (not really at the Outer Banks, but on the way - forgot the town name).

Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,925,475 times
Concord has racing (not sure about drag racing), good schools, is safe, and Charlotte is home to Johnson & Whales University, a big culinary school.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,284,900 times
Piedmont dragway in Julian is close to Greensboro. The best schools in Greensboro are on the other side of town from the drag strip in northwest Greensboro.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 AM

999 posts, read 4,665,371 times
Default NOT Fayetteville

Hi, I can't help you with where TO go, but suggest NOT fayetteville!
We've been here only since August, and are moving to Charlotte area this summer. I can't wait!!
While the schools are excellent with my daughter (she has major, multiple disabilities) and you could find housing you're looking for in your price range in the good school areas.....I don't think your business would thrive here.
I've been researching the Charlotte area (know nothing about the other areas) and would imagine that Union County (where I'm hoping to end up) would fit your needs, at least better than Fayetteville!
Joan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina