Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,914,226 times

Advertisements

the natives might not like it, if they built a transit system so the commute from charlotte and charlotte into these areas of winson-salem and greensbro would be easier (like our system here in NY) (well maybe not that elaborate but something on a smaller but similar scale....last would ease traffic and congestion..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,756,207 times
If you want to pay for it, I know I don't. This is a great example of why so many natives fear people like you. These systems are extremely expensive, and only the poor will use them. The taxes are high enough without these kind of pie in the sky ideas.

Last edited by RedNC; 06-23-2006 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 AM

well that's another issue, since murdoch is building he should provide and incur the cost for easier access to his new area.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
well that's another issue, since murdoch is building he should provide and incur the cost for easier access to his new area.
If you like public transit systems so much stay in NYC.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,065,535 times
I'm not aware of any urban-based mass transit system that isn't heavily subsidized by federal, state, county and city governments these days. Ridership/fares way too low compared to construction and operating costs.

When I lived in the DC area, I used the Washington Metro subway system to commute to work 16 miles away in downtown DC. The 5-day work-week cost was around $60. That was only a fraction of the total costs of construction and operation and my tax burden reflected that. If they charged the users what the ride really costs, no one could afford to ride it.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-23-2006 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 AM

RedNC-I do not live in NYC, I live on Long Island (there is quite a big difference) what I was saying is, with all the congestion of traffic (yes we have it here too) to build some kind of system simialr to NYC, myabe a upscale monorail system like in Disney - none of us would live long enough to see a system like the city has...From LI we use the LIRR and NYC subway system is entirely different.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,767,222 times
WenIs02
The traffic in Charlotte and surrounding areas is no where close to what you experience on Long Island. Really, it's like night and day. That's probably why public transportation would sound excessive to a native.

On a another note, I'll ask my husband which recruiters he hooked up with in Charlotte and pm you.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 AM

336 posts, read 516,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
If you want to pay for it, I know I don't. This is a great example of why so many natives fear people like you. These systems are extremely expensive, and only the poor will use them.
I agree. Why do I want to pay more taxes for a system that I will never use? I avoid riding the bus and new light rail in my area just because I don't want to be on its schedule and it is mostly full of dirty people that I prefer not to deal with.

Charlotte is already supposed to start getting light rail next year though.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 AM

478 posts, read 2,308,968 times
Cars are so ingrained in Southern culture (I'm a pedestrian myself, so I know all too well of some of the attitudes). It would be highly unlikely that anything of the sort would happen, and even when light rail systems get built, they are so short and go nowhere and can barely be called "light rail".

That is one of the big downsides to living in the South. Because so many people are so enamoured with their cars, public transit goes lacking because of the prejudices about "those people" who use public transit. As a result, the public transit sucks because no one wants to use it and be one of "those people".

Say goodbye to decent transit systems if you move down South. Also, be aware that the culture is not always sidewalk-friendly (that is changing, but way too slowly for my taste), so keeping a pair of walking or running shoes specifically for rough terrain is a good idea.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
RedNC-I do not live in NYC, I live on Long Island (there is quite a big difference) what I was saying is, with all the congestion of traffic (yes we have it here too) to build some kind of system simialr to NYC, myabe a upscale monorail system like in Disney - none of us would live long enough to see a system like the city has...From LI we use the LIRR and NYC subway system is entirely different.
There are so many choices of places in the US to live I don’t see any reason to not have exactly what you want. If you want to live in an area that has a “great” mass transit system then move to an area that has one. You will be with like-minded people that enjoy high taxes. On your way to your destination you can discuss what other convinces you would like your fellow mass-transit people to pay for to make your little world the utopia you think it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina