Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,490 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Houston but my husband and I are about 4 years out from a move to the Triangle - likely Raleigh (or maybe apex or Cary). The other night when we were digging into some great Mexican food I began to wonder if there are any decent restaurants that serve Mexican food in those areas? We don't eat terribly often (seldom more than once a week) but when we do we like really good food. I am not talking about chain restaurants but good ethnic, seafood, continental etc. ones where there is a wine list.(OK, a good Mexican one would have a beer list rather than a wine list but you get the idea...) And in that same vein, would we be likely to be seated next to someone in jeans and a ballcap when we went out for a special dinner?

As long as I brought up the wine thing - do Raleigh, Cary and/or Apex have any such thing as wine clubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
El Dorado in Cary and La Rancharita in Apex are probably the two best Mexican restaraunts in the area.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 44,090 times
The Triangle is a major area for Mexican immigration (legal and otherwise) so there are tons of authentic Mexican places.

There are plenty of good upscale places - and of course a good share of pubs and sports bars. Glenwood South in Raleigh is an area with great modern clubs and restaurants. Here are some of my favorites if you're looking for a no-ball-cap night out. Most have menus on their websites:
42nd Street Oyster Bar
518 West (italian)
Bistro 607
Bogarts (great martinis)
Sushi Blues
Zeily & Ritz (this is a tapas & wine bar - with a great wine dinner series)

Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Speaking of food, what about places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and food stores like those? I like to cook (for myself and others) rather than eat out all the time so grocery/gourmet stores would be a necesity for me.

I think I read somewhere that there were two Trader Joe's, but I can't locate the second one (one's in Cary, right?). I'm guessing there would be something like that in the Raleigh area. Anywhere else? Thanks!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
I've never heard of ANY of those places lol. I know that there is a place called "the fresh market" owned by Harriss Teeter in Saltbox village in Cary. But it is very expensive.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 PM

138 posts, read 787,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
We don't eat terribly often (seldom more than once a week) but when we do we like really good food.
You must really put some food away at your weekly meal!

I seldom eat less than 21 times a week.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 PM

107 posts, read 354,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines
You must really put some food away at your weekly meal!

I seldom eat less than 21 times a week.
He-He , that was cute !!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Speaking of food, what about places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and food stores like those? I like to cook (for myself and others) rather than eat out all the time so grocery/gourmet stores would be a necesity for me.

I think I read somewhere that there were two Trader Joe's, but I can't locate the second one (one's in Cary, right?). I'm guessing there would be something like that in the Raleigh area. Anywhere else? Thanks!
Trader Joe's are on their way, not built yet. Someone mentioned Cary and my bro in law who lives in Charlotte said they should be getting one soon. It looks like they have a lot of nice farmers markets for fresh fruit and veggies etc. Whole Foods and Wild Oats, I know we have them here in Cali but I don't think NC.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Speaking of food, what about places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and food stores like those?
Head down a couple of pages and look for the thread "Anyone else love Lowe's Food Store?". We got into a long, intense discussion, comparing stores and wishful thinking about other chains

Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
gmb

45 posts, read 289,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Trader Joe's are on their way, not built yet. Someone mentioned Cary and my bro in law who lives in Charlotte said they should be getting one soon. It looks like they have a lot of nice farmers markets for fresh fruit and veggies etc. Whole Foods and Wild Oats, I know we have them here in Cali but I don't think NC.
The good news is Whole Foods is located in Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham and Winston-Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina