Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in the market for a used car. I'm looking locally here in the Boston area. I wondering if I should attempt to buy it in NC.

For instance in MA, the state makes you pay the 5% on the purchase price or the trade in price, which ever is greater (they got hip to the $100 sale to your kid or friend) at the time of registering with the DMV (another FINE org, sorry I'm cynical- I feel held hostage each year because there's always something that creeps up that I've paid and they say I didn't and have to pay again to get my car tags renewed).

I've read after some googling that there's a max or cap on taxes of vehicle purchases? Is the tax rate for other types of purchases. Any info or links (you can PM the links so they don't get removed) would be great.

Thank You!

Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 PM

128 posts, read 641,180 times
We're also buying a used car here in FL, so any info on this subject would be
great!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:34 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Well, I know if you go out and buy and register a car today, you are going to pay the taxes for this year up front. And then about three months later you are going to get the property taxes on the vehicle for the next years. It is based on the value of the car, not the sale value. If you don't pay the property taxes, you can't get the tag when it expires for the next year until you do. DMV will block the account. If you still don't pay, they will either garnish your wages for it or take your state refund check if you are entitled to one during tax season.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles

Registration & Titling

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...oRegister.html

Old 06-15-2006, 01:34 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default taxes

Sales tax on new cars is about 3% and I believe is referred to as the HUT (Highway Use Tax) on a new car invoice? I guess it's the same on used cars, unless you're buying from someone who isn't a dealer, such as a regular joe from a classified ad.

Property taxes are assessed by the counties on an annual basis. I believe the tax we recently paid on our 2002 Camry was something like $120 or so (off the top of my head), so you can count on an annual bill of about $150 for most average cars. It's based on the estimated value of the auto, so it should decrease some each year.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
Sales tax on new cars is about 3% and I believe is referred to as the HUT (Highway Use Tax) on a new car invoice? I guess it's the same on used cars, unless you're buying from someone who isn't a dealer, such as a regular joe from a classified ad.

Property taxes are assessed by the counties on an annual basis. I believe the tax we recently paid on our 2002 Camry was something like $120 or so (off the top of my head), so you can count on an annual bill of about $150 for most average cars. It's based on the estimated value of the auto, so it should decrease some each year.
Not bad I pay more for my older Camry in Phoenix.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
THank You MMB, this is perfect information. Seems like it would be a better bet to buy something in NC and just pay the 3% tax. The HUT says if you buy out of state and move to NC within 90 days then you have to pay up to $150 or you can get credit for the tax you paid in another state.

Since MA tax is 5%, and we'd have to transfer the vehicle anyway, seems to make sense to try and buy something local.

Thanks again- this helped my decision making process!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 42,264 times
I bought my 2008 Lancer in 2007 out of state, moved to NC in January 2009 paid for my plates and I thought property taxes as well. I just got a statement saying I need to renew my plates by April 2009? what in the world is this?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove63 View Post
I bought my 2008 Lancer in 2007 out of state, moved to NC in January 2009 paid for my plates and I thought property taxes as well. I just got a statement saying I need to renew my plates by April 2009? what in the world is this?
What's the month & year sticker on your vehicle tag say? How about your vehicle registration card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina