Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg1234 View Post
Do not move to Kingston. My best friend moved there a few years ago. There are no jobs and she sees crime happening all around her. It has the worst crime in the state, which has a bad crime rate nationally anyway, and there is very little to do there. It is flat and without culture. People there are 40 years behind the times. NC also is among the worst in health care. It is one of the worst places i have ever visited.
Sorry things didn't work out for your friend in Jamaica.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-16-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times

... saw a WUNC episode ( think it originally aired last year), and it literally led with a Real Estate agent who said that "A lot of people from NY, Connecticut, Maryland are moving to Kinston!"

... I was like...

Really?

Really?

So WUNC does this promo piece on Kinston, and the local officials are raaaaaaaving over Kinston... as they should, but even for a promo, it seemed so trumped up and a tad disingenuous.

I haven't been to Kinston in a while, but there's no way it's hopping as much as these folks are trying to say.

Yes you have Mother Earth, Vivian Howard's restaurant and the arts scene is starting blossom... so things are starting to move, but still feels overblown...

Here's a snippet:

https://video.unctv.org/video/weekend-kinston-vea734/

Old 05-18-2019, 10:26 AM

234 posts, read 267,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

... saw a WUNC episode ( think it originally aired last year), and it literally led with a Real Estate agent who said that "A lot of people from NY, Connecticut, Maryland are moving to Kinston!"

... I was like...

Really?
I visit Kinston several times a year, to sample some of their restaurants and/or attend minor league baseball games. While it is good to see some life coming back to the downtown, I would not describe Kinston as 'thriving' either. Just drive around the blocks where Mother Earth, Boiler Room, The Chef & The Farmer and Grainger Stadium are located. You will see that for every one updated, operational business there are a half dozen or so places sitting (long) idle. I wish Kinston well and hope that they truly have a full renaissance. Getting a Carolina League team back in the area was definitely a huge win for the city. On the other hand, for those of us that live in this region Kinston most often appears in the news due to yet another shooting/murder usually tied to the abundant use of narcotics in the city.

Best of luck to Kinston and Lenoir County. Their re-birth would help the entire region east of I-95.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:12 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
At least they’re trying to turn things around. Gotta give them credit for that. For a while, it seemed like Kinston had given up on itself. I’m glad that’s no longer the case. It’s been over 10 years since I stopped there, so I might drop by next time I’m in ENC and check it out.

They recently started their Streetscape project on Queen Street, similar to what Goldsboro has been doing on Center Street.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
[quote=LM117;55209146]At least they’re trying to turn things around...quote]

very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
I visit Kinston several times a year, to sample some of their restaurants and/or attend minor league baseball games. While it is good to see some life coming back to the downtown, I would not describe Kinston as 'thriving' either. Just drive around the blocks where Mother Earth, Boiler Room, The Chef & The Farmer and Grainger Stadium are located. You will see that for every one updated, operational business there are a half dozen or so places sitting (long) idle. I wish Kinston well and hope that they truly have a full renaissance. Getting a Carolina League team back in the area was definitely a huge win for the city. On the other hand, for those of us that live in this region Kinston most often appears in the news due to yet another shooting/murder usually tied to the abundant use of narcotics in the city.

Best of luck to Kinston and Lenoir County. Their re-birth would help the entire region east of I-95.

Yup it really would be a revival in that region.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina