Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrysG View Post
Hello! My husband and I are considering moving from NY to NC, but we're very confused as to where to look. We would love a small town feel, but excellent schools are a must. We'd like to either buy or build in an area where the homes are on large pieces of property. Any suggestions would be great!

We live in Four Oaks, NC which is about 30 minutes south of Raleigh. We are in the country, but close enough to three smaller towns (12-15 minutes) to have access to what we need. The Four Oaks schools are excellent. We are very pleased with the staff and teachers. The schools have a hometown feel and are a great place for learning. If you are looking for land to build on we have 40 acres for sale that are the same distance from the cities mentioned earlier. We would like to sell all 40 together, but would consider dividing it into tracts as small as 10 acres. early84459@mypacks.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,921,846 times
Some areas that are affordable with great schools and in the Charlotte metro:

Suburban: Concord, Harrsiburg, Mooresville, Belmont, Indian Trail, Ft. Mill.

More of a rual feel: Mt. Pleasant, Troutman, Cherryville, Clover.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 AM

8 posts, read 66,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Some areas that are affordable with great schools and in the Charlotte metro:

Suburban: Concord, Harrsiburg, Mooresville, Belmont, Indian Trail, Ft. Mill.

More of a rual feel: Mt. Pleasant, Troutman, Cherryville, Clover.
Speaking as a Cherryville native, please don't direct anybody there. It's still (so far) unspoiled by hordes of outsiders moving in and we'd like to keep it that way.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,921,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid89 View Post
Speaking as a Cherryville native, please don't direct anybody there. It's still (so far) unspoiled by hordes of outsiders moving in and we'd like to keep it that way.
Yes, I know Cherryville's a nice area (was raised in Gastonia). I'm sure there are some residents in nearly every town that don't want "outsiders" moving in. Maybe we shouldn't suggest any towns (thought that's what this site was for). But the poster asked for some suggestions, and I thought Cherryville would be a nice place (a compliment ). Surely, no offense was intended.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM

353 posts, read 998,606 times
Default Do Your Homework!!!!!

I am a native NYer, hubby is from Michigan. We chose Raleigh (my parents live in Charlotte) for the climate, the cost of living, the relative ease of commuting to and from work, while still maintaining a "city" OR "country" feel, depending on how far away from downtown you're willing to travel. All in all, a nice package.

IF!!!!! If you have kids, WANT kids, plan to have kids and plan to put them into the public school system WATCH OUT!

Wake county busses their kids all over creation, they are attempting (and have failed, but are appealing in court) to assign your kids to a MANDATORY year-round schedule, there is CHAOS with the board of ed, spending is through the roof, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT ALLOWED from parents.

Check out the following websites

newsobserver.com |WakeEd
WakeCARES
Stop Mandatory Year Round

Wake County, and the board of ed, are NOT family friendly when it comes to schools. I personally know of SEVERAL families who have siblings in different schools ON DIFFERENT SCHEDULES. And when parents appealed (IN PERSON) to the board to at LEAST get their kids synced, THEY WERE DENIED.

Please, read, read, read... educate yourself, and be prepared for perhaps sending your kids to private school if you value stability and having a say in your child's education.

Also, please note that we have the BEST teachers in the world. Only a TRULY DEDICATED professional would put up with the BS handed out by administrators. It's a testament to their fortitude, truly.

But, there is no teacher's union, the BOE is insane, and it all trickles down to affecting our children.

I currently have a 3 year old, and we're looking at private school... which means we may NOT have a 2nd child, since the cost will pinch us REALLY bad.

It's a sad day when your BOE can have an affect on whether you'll have a sibling for your child or not. But, this is how we really feel.

Good luck to you! We're considering a move to a neighboring county. If you can choose Harnett, Johnston, or Chatham, do so.

If you are looking at Chapel Hill/Carrboro, be warned. It's VERY hard to find a place to live (and it's VERY expensive) as they have a tight grip on how much gets developed there.

Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 PM

103 posts, read 901,287 times
What is the appeal that attracts so many New Yorkers to North Carolina? Just wondering...

Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,004,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Daisy View Post
What is the appeal that attracts so many New Yorkers to North Carolina? Just wondering...
Not a New Yorker, but what I have heard them say is this - much lower taxes and cost of homes. Many come here knowing that if they stayed up north they would never be able to afford a home - or a savings account.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:23 PM

103 posts, read 901,287 times
Thanks for the input. I was being a bit nosy, because Wilmington has a high New Yorker population too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina