Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 AM

76 posts, read 453,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
In-laws, ahh, one time hubby will speak to them and they are so excited for us and everything is great. The next time, we'll never see you again, your going to hate it there, it's humid etc, etc. Now my hubby's sister lives in Northern CA and they bought a place last summer in Asheville and for the next few years it will be a vacation home. Interesting the inlaws never say anything bad about her and her family moving away, infact they even spoke about visiting them?
I don't know where you are moving from but we were also "warned" about the humidity and I gotta tell you- coming from Oklahoma this humidity is a piece of cake! We've found NC weather to be so mild all the way around.

And if they ever do come visit, they will have to admit how pretty it is here...I love all the green from the trees... But then again my only gripe about NC (besides the nutty roads!) is that everything is hidden behind the trees. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere on 485 but as soon as you take an exit and go around the trees- BOOM there is a starbucks, linens and things, and target all awaiting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
I don't know where you are moving from but we were also "warned" about the humidity and I gotta tell you- coming from Oklahoma this humidity is a piece of cake! We've found NC weather to be so mild all the way around.
Isn't that something? I remember the heat waves from my native St. Louis area. People were dropping like flies, with the news each night reporting ever growing death counts. I still have vivid memories of the air conditioned high school gymasiums being turned into shelters for the low income and street people to shelter in during the day, churches distributing box fans and window units to the poor and elderly, and talking heads on the tv gravely advising people to fill their tubs with cold water and rest there during the late afternoon's heat if they didn't want to go to the shelters. Those summers were anomalies - happening only once a decade or so - but even the rest of the summers were hot-hot-hot. I don't fuss about the heat here. I have suffered worse.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,831,271 times
Hubby called me at work today and it was 102 in North OC today. I work 5 miles from the beach so definately not quite as bad.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 44,093 times
It's tough.

We'll be moving home to MA when we decide to start a family.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM

167 posts, read 945,191 times
About the humidity... I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the weather in western NC, and comparing the weather there with our weather here (near the MN/WI border) and I've been pleasantly surprised. I know the western part of NC is cooler than the rest of the state, but it's also been a bit cooler than it's been here lately, and the humidity has actually been LOWER than it is here. Today our humidity is at 70%... Asheville is around 40%... wowzas! I can't wait to get back there.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
About the humidity... I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the weather in western NC, and comparing the weather there with our weather here (near the MN/WI border) and I've been pleasantly surprised. I know the western part of NC is cooler than the rest of the state, but it's also been a bit cooler than it's been here lately, and the humidity has actually been LOWER than it is here. Today our humidity is at 70%... Asheville is around 40%... wowzas! I can't wait to get back there.
Thanks for noticing the Mountain Region! The coolest temps in a populated area of NC is normally around Boone. Boone is around 1,000 feet higher than Asheville.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-17-2006 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,288 times
Default Moved away from family - from NC to Cali

I was in an ideal situation for a cross country move. My family members were and still are all in good health and financially stable. My mother had just bought a house, younger sister in college. I was single and didn't have children, and I was 29 yrs old.

At the time I had just finished grad school and had been out of school for about 6 months. I was working two part time jobs with no promise of either of them becoming permanent and full time or offering health benefits.

I had applied for jobs all over the East Coast from Vermont all the way to Florida. Then I tried west, Tennessee, Ohio, Chicago, Michigan, Missouri, and I just kept getting letters in the mail saying that they'd found a better suited candidate and thanking me for my interest. I had even been on interviews locally that gave me no response afterward, and even tried applying for positions that I was OVER qualified for. It was horrible. I had my Master's degree and it felt like it was all for nothing.

Anyway, I saw a job posting that fit what I had been looking for, only catch was it was in CALIFORNIA. In North Carolina, that's pretty much like Siberia. I figured well whatever, they'll just send me a sorry letter like the rest of them for sure, since I'm so far away anyhow. So I did it just to try to say well I did try.

So the company called back for a phone interview, and I wasn't impressed, it was the same old routine like everyone else had followed. They ran the background check, and that was standard. I didn't perk up until they called me back to ask me when I could come out for an interview, all expenses paid. I was FLOORED. But even still I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I kept thinking well at least I get to visit California.

So I get back, 2 weeks later, maybe a little less, my cell phone rings and the caller id displays a phone number with their area code. My heart sank to my stomach. I thought to myself, companies don't call you to let you know you DIDN'T get the job..

They made an offer and I told them I'd think it over. I was in tears. It was a major life changing event. I'd have to leave everything that was familiar and comfortable to me behind. I was happy because it was such a wonderful opportunity but I'd have to leave my family. So it was a rollercoaster. I was happy, then I was sad. UP.. down.. UP.. down.. UP.. lol!

The company that owned my apartment complex, had properties all over the country including California. I had lived there for almost 4 yrs. Little did I know that this would pave my way to move out of state someday! So, I had my apartment complex to transfer my lease to an apartment in the Bay Area so I absolutely had NO reason not to go, I had a place to live without even setting foot there, which was my biggest concern, not having a place to live.

My family had mixed emotions about my move here. My mother was scared but hopeful. My dad absolutely didn't want me to leave. Funny now they are opposite! My dad says stay, my mom says come back LOL! Some of my family, my aunts pretty much have stopped contact with me. They came to visit me last year and I think they were secretly hoping that my life wasn't that great here. I showed them my place, my car that I bought, took them to meet the people at my job.. just showing them my daily routine and parts of my everyday life. After they saw that, they stopped contacting me when they got back. They even talked down about the scenery here, saying oh it's nothing special, just like NC. Like there was nothing exciting to see here which was really wrong. So there is some animosity towards me moving to California and it's sad, some of your relatives would rather see you fall on your face and fail to relieve some insecurities that they have about themselves.

I mean they act as if I won the lottery or something. Moving away this far for so long (going on 3 yrs now, just had my 32nd birthday ) has really shown me some things about my family members. I guess some may take it as a rejection of some kind. They think that you move away to get away from them, and it was absolutely not the case. I moved to make a better life for myself. I was in a rut when I was in NC, I had some good times there and went thru a period where I did have a job but then I got laid off and returned to school to get my Masters, which opened the door for a huge opportunity in California. There was nothing holding me back from doing it other than fear of rejection from certain family members, which was sort of happening anyway when I lived there but just became more prominent and visible once I stepped back and have a look at the whole picture.

So in summary, my family's reaction has been mixed. Everyone didn't take it the same way. Some supported it, some not, and some have decided to stop communication with me. What you have to remember when you make a big decision like this is that even if you're the only one moving, it still does have an effect on other people, but on the flip side of that, you have to do what makes you happy and not live for other people because whichever decision you make, you are the one who has to live with it.

I hope my story has helped and inspired someone out there.

Last edited by sophique; 07-20-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: wanted to add smilies and edit the title

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Our siblings thought it was great...if only our daughters would be more supportive. They call from MI and start with the "I feel you abandoned us" speech...which makes it really hard..

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
We are fotunate the "kids" supported our choice to move away. That of course doesn't make it any easier not seeing them. But they have hopes of leaving Florida also in the future. They understood that it was now or never for us to leave Florida and move to North Carolina. As it stands now, we made the right decision with the economy the way it is. Would I have still moved if they didn't approve? Yes, but it would have made a tough situation tougher.

I know many years ago my sister promised her kids she would never move (our parents moved away from her) but now she wishes she could move. And she is afraid to talk to them about it so she will just stay there. I think they would support her but it's not my business so I stay out of it. Sometimes we just have to do what's right for us and hope for support and understanding.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
"some of your relatives would rather see you fall on your face and fail to relieve some insecurities that they have about themselves." I agree with you whole heartedly about that...Great Story however....I have lived in one place my whole life and im looking to make a move elsewhere where there would be no family.....Right now just doing research and pondering the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina