Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 135,065 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old from NY who is looking to relocate to a city in NC. I was looking into Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh, but was wondering what you guys felt was the best city for young and single people. Specifically, good nightlife and culture as well as a young vibe to the city in general.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 45,954 times
I'm a 22 year old female in VT in the same boat. I'm moving in August, and I'm being told Raleigh is the place to be...Good for jobs, also.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,459 times
A friend of mine, in a similar situation, just chose and moved to Charlotte. She loves it and says it is really vibrant with lots of interesting people.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Lightbulb Career will make the difference

They're all pretty good for young people, nightlife, things to do, etc.
So the big difference would probably have to do with what type of career you're getting into.

Asheville's economy is largely tourism-based. So if you're in industries such as restaurants, hospitality, etc, great...but otherwise you may find some jobs hard to come by.

Charlotte is very corporate. Banking & finance is the first industry that comes to mind here. If you were a business or marketing student, this is probably where you'll be looking.

The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill) is focused on Science, Technology, Medical work, Research, Engineering, and Education. All you scientific folks will prefer this area. Government-types too, since Raleigh is the state capital.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM

28 posts, read 135,065 times
Well right now I'm a consultant for Jenny Craig, and will be getting involved in personal training later on in the year, so I'm guessing any city would be good for a fitness type career? Are people down south big into fitness?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
^ Well, it ain't southern California or South Beach, FL...but there are a decent number of folks who are fitness-minded.
Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham would have the advantage in population for the most number of potential clients for you. good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura2434 View Post
I am a 23 year old from NY who is looking to relocate to a city in NC. I was looking into Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh, but was wondering what you guys felt was the best city for young and single people. Specifically, good nightlife and culture as well as a young vibe to the city in general.

Thank you so much for your help!
Manhattan.................. Oops, sorry - flash back. I went there when I was 23. I personally like Winston-Salem or Raleigh or Wilmington.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
I'd agree with what RaleighRob says.

I'm 23, and haven't lived in NC for all that long. But from what I do know,

-Charlotte is a good choice, but it is very large and spread out. Most of the city is new, modern, and clean - but I don't consider it a very "charming" city. It has a pretty cool uptown area w/ bars and restaurants. From what I hear, there are lots of young professional guys (lawyers, bankers, finance people), but not all that many girls. I don't know if this is true, but I hear it from both males and females that live there. There are lots of northern transplants here, of all ages.

-Wilmington is another good option. I just moved here a few weeks ago. It has young people, but it seems like a lot of them leave once they graduate from college; probably b/c there aren't many jobs in Wilmington. It's a really cool city. If you can find work, I'd check it out.

-Greensboro is O.K. I lived there for a while. Nice city, but I wouldn't recommend it for a single person. It has a lot in common with what I said about Charlotte, but smaller.

Anything else (Raleigh, Asheville), I haven't spent enough time to know. I have heard good things, though.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 141,556 times
Ohhhhh yea!! Although Charlotte is filled with its share of loser college guys, hollarin red necks, wealthy pretentious wannabe's, and thugged out rappers there is still a very interesting, pleasant, cool population of single men (and women) that rise above the salty mainstream single scene. Actually, Charlotte was voted top in the top 5 cities for singles by.... well by some website.

Eric Studyvin
Moderator cut: advertising removed

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM

161 posts, read 464,659 times
Default Hi All

I just relocated two mths ago to Raleigh. I was originally going to Charlotte and there are times I wish stuck to my originally plans. I let a recruiter from an agency discourage me. She is originally from NC and dislikes New Yorkers. I applied for a job through her agency and called to discuss it. The salary range was within my range but did not want to give me the higher amount meanwhile I was taking a cut anyway. She said I am a money hungry New Yorkers and that all we do is come out here to live like Kings and buy homes that people from here can't afford and it's unfair. She called me a bumb and all sorts of names. I was shocked and if this is the sort of feedback I am getting I ran to Raleigh instead. I have been unemployed for one year in NY so I ventured out here in the hopes of finding a full time permanent job. I am going all out I can't be unemployed forever. I am an administrative assistant/legal secretary too and I have all the tech skills. I have worked in banks, law firms, financing, consulting firms and I hope I am in the right state. I like Raleigh though but if the right job is in charlotte I can still relocate. I don't like how Charlotte is so spread out though but the uptown area is definitely lots of fun for sure. Your age group is young and there was a special on Oprah a few mths ago on how this is a great place for single people but too bad the age range wasn't mentioned. I am 49 and still single but not worried about it. As far as physical fitness this state is it. I even get embarassed sometimes since I am not physically fit but I am going to start the gym. It's just that I have been very involved in my job search that I give it my all. It is ranked as one of the best places to live in work according to Forbes Feb. Issue of 2007 and I read it in other websites as well. I continued the research visited a few times, visited Charlotte as well.
They brag like crazy on websites and send out relocation pkgs to people. I have gone to employment agencies and I apply for positions on my own too. They have here in Raleigh though a lot of law firms too. I have some legal so I apply to them too. Wish me luck I need it. Otherwise, it's very nice to live here. It's clean, the downtown area has a so called good night life but more family oriented too and good colleges and Ballet Schools.

Good luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina