Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Columbus, Ohio.
Funny, more than half our neighbors here are from Ohio! I thought the economy was really rough there...the winters would be too rough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Did you move to NC for a better life, didn't like it, and leave?
I moved here from NY 18 months ago. I am plotting my escape back to civilization. It is too boring, lilly white, and HOT ! All of the reveiews of the area in the media are vastly overrated.

Owning a home and cutting my salary was not worth all that I gave up.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving II View Post
I moved here from NY 18 months ago. I am plotting my escape back to civilization. It is too boring, lilly white, and HOT ! All of the reveiews of the area in the media are vastly overrated.

Owning a home and cutting my salary was not worth all that I gave up.
Lilly white? Sounds like all of New York outside of NYC. North Carolina has a high black population and is hardly "lilly white".

Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
yeah no kidding. there is nothing more lily white than new england!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Lilly white? Sounds like all of New York outside of NYC. North Carolina has a high black population and is hardly "lilly white".

Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Yes. We moved from Upstate NY to Raleigh in December 1994 and thought it was great. But after nearly 13 years in "the triangle" and seeing how all the growth had changed it so much, in our opinion for the worst...plus missing family, good schools (schools in Wake Co are good....but the system as a whole is a mess with the reassignments and bussing)....we moved back home to Rochester, NY and are very happy to be back. We lived in North Raleigh, Cary, South Raleigh, and Apex.....Apex was nice and we were very fond of it; but none of the above places felt like home.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:13 AM

132 posts, read 528,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The only other state I'd like to live in is probably Oregon - green, hilly, similar to NC, but on the wrong side of the country . Having travelled the US extensively, there's a lot of places I'd never live and only a few I really like. Lots of great places to visit, but few offer the QOL of NC imo - NC has a lot going for it.
I'd think similar, except one thing. Oregon, at least western Oregon, is very gloomy. Not much sun at all. The only parts of the country that have less sunlight hours are northern Michigan, and some areas bordering Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. And those areas have snow cover all winter - snow reflects light, making the day significantly brighter than it would be without any snow. Not the case in the Pacific Northwest though
I'd love to visit though, during times of decent weather!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
Yes, we're moving. It was fine here for a few years, but we've gotten progressively bored with what the area has to offer. We're looking for a more urban environment, more mountains and a better cultural scene. The 90+ summers don't help either.

You don't hear a lot of dissenting opinions on the NC boards. There are so many newcomers that want to only hear the good things. And that's fine, the area is suitable to a lot of people. But people do leave.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think this varies depending on where you go. Eastern NC has higher black populations and nearer the cities - not so much going farther west and/or into more rural areas. Someone had a map that broke this out by county but not sure where you can find.

Anyway I have known a fair # who have moved there and it was a mix of like or didn't like, but the ones who didn't cited unbearably hot/humid summers, not much in the way of "cultural things" and not "diverse enough." You mileage may vary.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I think this varies depending on where you go. Eastern NC has higher black populations and nearer the cities - not so much going farther west and/or into more rural areas. Someone had a map that broke this out by county but not sure where you can find.

Whites - http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...s/popfg18L.gif

Blacks - http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...s/popfg19L.gif

NC is 74.0% White, while the U.S. is 80.1%.

NY State is 73.7% White.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Last edited by mm34b; 10-06-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina