Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:29 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,044,587 times

Advertisements

I think the sterotype of someone from Oregon is a birkenstock-wearing, granola-eating, bicycle-riding, tree-hugging hemp cultivator.

Okay, maybe you don't eat granola.

By the way, one of my best friends growing up has lived in Oregon for several years and loves it.

I've met a few people from Oregon over the years, and I haven't noticed any unique accent or characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 09:07 PM

217 posts, read 800,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I think the sterotype of someone from Oregon is a birkenstock-wearing, granola-eating, bicycle-riding, tree-hugging hemp cultivator.

By the way, one of my best friends growing up has lived in Oregon for several years and loves it.

I've met a few people from Oregon over the years, and I haven't noticed any unique accent or characteristics.

WoooEEEE! I have a sterotype!!! You've made my day!! I was beginning to feel left out! Though I have to say that it rains here quite a bit so I don't know how much birkenstock-wearing actually occurs.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,750,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS

You left out "beard-scratchin"

Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 AM

56 posts, read 327,104 times
Where is Oregon? Just kidding.
I think there is maybe 3 people from Oregon living in NC.
Honestly, I cannot recall meeting anybody from Oregon in NC.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:28 AM

170 posts, read 566,906 times
Hey chimp,
Well, I guess if you're a Northerner, then I'm REALLY a Northerner, coming from Washington! It's nice to know others from around here are moving there as well. Whenever we go to Disney World and people ask where we are from, and we say WA state, people ooh and aww like we're from another planet! I guess we are pretty far away, though. Good luck with your move, let's try to leave all this rain here, shall we?

Old 05-28-2006, 09:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,612,500 times
Isn't the NW like the most cut-off region from the rest of the country? You guys don't have any major cities for 1000 miles south to San Francisco and 1000 miles east to Minneapolis.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 PM

676 posts, read 3,079,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Isn't the NW like the most cut-off region from the rest of the country? You guys don't have any major cities for 1000 miles south to San Francisco and 1000 miles east to Minneapolis.
I don't know if it is because I live in CA, but I think of Portland and Seattle as awesome cities!!! I have never really thought of WA or OR as cut-off from the rest of the country - maybe Alaska, but not the great Pacific Northwest! As far as stereotypes go, I guess my thoughts are like the other poster who said granoloa, tree-hugging types. I think the hippie thing is mainly because of Eugene, OR - I remember it was one of the favorite places for "Dead Heads" to see the Grateful Dead play shows. But, then I also think of flannel wearing logger types too which is the complete opposite of hippies, so it is hard to say....Anyway, I hope you like NC! Our first trip to NC is next month and we are getting so excited.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:06 PM

You're right, Seattle is an awesome city! It's just that we have a lot of family in PA, so it'd be nice to be somewhat closer. We've never been east, wow, there is so much to show my boys! And yes i'minformed, there isn't much around here, we feel so far away way up here in the corner! One thing we love is amusement parks, and we'd like to be closer than 21 hrs. to one!! We're excited to see NC, I'm sure we'll love it!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,612,500 times
You have family in PA but you've never been to the East Coast? That's kind of sad. Have you never met them or do they just usually come and visit you?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:40 PM

What I meant to say was we've never been east, as in lived there. My husband was born and raised there, but left at 18. We flew back there for a week 7 yrs. ago, but that's it. My boys don't remember grandpa. Time just slips away so fast, and if we get the chance to go on a vacation, we seem to go to Disney. It's such a big trip to go cross country. It will be so nice to be closer, and just drive up for the holidays! We can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina