Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,597,607 times

Advertisements

"Better" is totally subjective. NC is warmer, the winters are warmer but not what I would consider "Warm" usually lows in the 20s highs in the 40s. I definitley prefer Rochester's summers falls and springs to those in NC as well. I was born and raised in Greece (for all of those not from Upstate NY, the Greece I'm refering to is a suburb of Rochester, NY, not the Mediterranian country) and moved to the Raleigh area right after Christmas of 1994. Jobs I will admit are much more plentiful in most of NC than they are in WNY, but the schools tend to be WAY better in suburban Rochester than down here. Especially compared to rural and small town NC. Now, to answer your question mmdj43, what I was saying is. Rochester has a strong sense of community because most of the people who live there are 4th or 5th generation Rochesterians at least. Local franchises and chains are much more abundant. I.E Wegmans Groceries (which has now expanded all across the Northeast) Schallers, Abbots, and many other places. Where as here in NC, most of the retail and dining is national chains and there aren't many mom and pop places. Many people in this area weren't born or raised here and therefore don't have real roots in the area. There is nothing that "Raleighnites" have in common with eachother. There's no history among them. Some say that makes it more interesting, but don't really agree. You don't have multi-generational families in the area. No backyard barbecues with the cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents. It just doesn't have a "homey" feeling. Give it several decades and it probably will... but I don't feel like waiting around for that when I know I can have it where I gew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
"What I was saying is. Rochester has a strong sense of community because most of the people who live there are 4th or 5th generation Rochesterians at least."
You do make a valid point. I guess it all depends on the individuals because where I live we do have 4th and 5th generations, but that is for the original owners in our area. There are also many (including myself) that are the 'newcomers' with families outside of Long Island. So you do make a good point but with the changes and demands with jobs and housing, the 4th and 5th generations can be sporadic in certain areas. You're very fortunate that the area you lived in still has that.

Last edited by Yac; 05-19-2006 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 PM

I know. It's a very rare find in America nowadays. The only places I can think of that still give off that "hometown vibe" Are Boston and most of the cities along the great lakes. (Rochester is on lake Ontario). I was really surprised the first time I went to NYC and didn't hear a New York accent my entire stay in Manhattan.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:09 PM

30 posts, read 111,407 times
Hi,
We're also looking to transplant to NC in the as near as we can future. Relocating from hot and sunny So Calif. I was originally from NC. My mother is a native CA and Dad is a native NC. So I've had the best of both worlds and now am looking forward to giving my own kids the best of NC. (I hope )

iminformed - I'm curious about NY. What do you like over there besides what you have stipulated? How are the taxes compared to NC? Housing? People? Traffic? Most importantly weather? How cold, how humid? Hubby can transplant with job just about anywhere there is an opening in the USA.

Anyone else transplanting/ed from CA? What do you think?

Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 PM

30 posts, read 111,407 times
I forgot to mention, iminformed, that hubby could transplant to Greece, NY.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 PM

107 posts, read 354,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Just out of curiousity, but would you be able to elaborate on your statement in last sentence of your post? I currently live on Long Island and am moving to NC in a month or so, but I'd like to understand what it is that you meant. I don't know much about Rochester so you can just imagine how confused I am. Thanks!
I too am moving from Long Island to NC, , the first week of July !! Where are you moving too ?? Also what part of Long Island ? I do hate to hear when people say they made a mistake moving to NC. Is there anyone who moved from Long Island that is so glad that they did it ??

Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,832,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEME
Hi,
We're also looking to transplant to NC in the as near as we can future. Relocating from hot and sunny So Calif. I was originally from NC. My mother is a native CA and Dad is a native NC. So I've had the best of both worlds and now am looking forward to giving my own kids the best of NC. (I hope )

iminformed - I'm curious about NY. What do you like over there besides what you have stipulated? How are the taxes compared to NC? Housing? People? Traffic? Most importantly weather? How cold, how humid? Hubby can transplant with job just about anywhere there is an opening in the USA.

Thanks
You forgot smoggy. We are in the process of transplanting from North OC to NC Charlotte area. Check out the Chamber of Commerce and city websites as they offer quite a bit of information.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 50,965 times
Default Rochester Gals disappointment

I am originally (from way way back!!) from upstate NY, I thought we were friendly but then I grew up there. People would move there and say we were cold.
When moving from a city where you lived all your life or at least a long time, it takes awhile to get to know people in a new place.
Not sure where in NC you live and that can make a difference and how long have you been living there?? Again what I like about Raleigh is they have a Newcomers group and that gives one an opportunity to get to know people.
Being retired it is difficult because we don't have the kids events that parents have that bring them together with others. You have to work at getting to know people. But hey, I know a lot of people who move here from the north and end up going back "home"
To the gal moving with the list of things you need to know to assimilate; you have it all correct for living here in the South, except when living here, we don't have the accent you do.
Good luck in your move you sound like you will fit in. Where are you moving??

Old 05-20-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEME
Hi,

Thanks

Taxes I cannot deny, are through the roof. For a $150,000 house the taxes could approach 6k depending on where exactly it is. Although, 150k buys a lot of house. At least 3 or 4 bedrooms, basement, garage, and near 1/2 acre lot. The weather is subjective. Winters are SNOWY, the lake effect ends up dumping about 90 inches throughout the winter. It is usually cleaned up quickly though and rarely causes traffic or driving problems. There can be times when the sun doesn't come out for a week and that can get to people. However, the summers and falls are arguably the best you could find anywhere. Housing in NC tends to be newer than in Rochester... the average house in a Rochester suburb was probably built in the 70's or 80's, while in the Triangle most houses are built from the mid 90's and up. There are no basements in NC, but in exchange, you get a "bonus room" above the garage. The unfortunate thing about all of the new housing in NC is that it is built fast and cheap. The overwhelming majority of developmets are built by national and non-costum builders. They built for quantity and speed and not so much quality. Custom builders in the area offer much higher quality homes but they tend to be more expensive as well. The people, IMO, in WNY are some of the friendliest and most down to earth I've seen. A strong sense of family and community prevails throughout most households. You can't really comment on the "people" of Raleigh, because there really is no such thing. There is nothing that makes a person in Raleigh a "Raleighnite", if you know what I mean. Because there are so many transplants, it just seems like that stereotypical average American suburbia kind of place that could be found anywhere. The people certainly aren't all mean. but it's hard to really make a generaliztion. But that can be taken as a good thing. I'll admit that Upstate NY isn't for everyone and that's probably why it isn't growing to much. It just fits me personaly more than NC does.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,273,176 times
Not to nitpick or anything, but I've lived in a couple houses here in NC that have basements. One in Raleigh and one here in Greensboro.

I also want to say that Raleigh doesn't represent all of NC. If you want a more "family" feel to a town/city, there's plenty of that in NC. Especially in our small towns. The bigger cities like Raleigh and Charlotte are full of transplants. No wonder you didn't get that sense of family.

I've lived in other states besides NC (OK, VA, OH, TX) and always dreamed of the day I could move back to NC. (Born here in '73, moved in '80, moved back to NC in '82, moved again in '85, finally moved back in '91.) The other places I lived in just weren't home and just weren't as great to me personally as NC. So I can understand that feeling of "there's no place like home". Still, now that I'm older, I've long since been willing to admit that there was plenty of good in those other states, too. lol NC will always be the best to me though.

As far as weather, it can definitely get pretty cold here in NC, but nothing like up north. It's darn near Arctic up there. lol I used to be more sensitive to heat and humidity than I am now. I used to hate Summer. Now I don't mind so much. I love Spring and Fall here in NC. Absolutely gorgeous. Average Spring temperatures in the 60s and 70s - perfect. Fall can be pretty warm here (60s, 70s & sometimes 80s), which I love, but by November it usually cools off to the 50s and 60s - which I also love. There is plenty of gorgeous Fall color here. The drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Fall is a definite must. My family and I do that every year. It's one of the highlights of the year for us.

Someone asked about the people here. They tend to be quite friendly for the most part. Smiling, waving, saying a greeting of some kind in passing, etc. I've seen more of that here than the other places I've lived.

I consider myself one of NC's biggest fans (I have books, videos, post cards, magnets, etc.), so you won't get a lot of negativity from me. Yeah, I'll be honest, but I won't focus too intently on whatever few negativities there may be. To me, the good far outweighs what little bad there is.

All the best to those of you moving to this great state.

And i'minformed, I wish you all the best in your move back to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina