Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 09:07 AM

541 posts, read 556,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As someone else pointed out, many of us in Charlotte are far more familiar with Riverbanks zoo in Columbia to be honest. North Carolina wasn't expecting a Denver/St. Louis sized metro area from Charlotte back in the 1970s when the zoo was being built. And zoo planners definitely weren't expecting two CSAs larger than CSA Memphis and CSA Birmingham being adjacent to Charlotte either (YES, Upstate SC and the Triad have CSAs that are more populated than the CSAs of Memphis and Birmingham).
CSA is slightly misleading with regards to Bham. Tuscaloosa isn't in the same CSA as Bham despite their main counties adjoining. The Mercedes plant was built halfway between the two cities to obviously draw workforce from both, but as it's in Tuscaloosa county, not Jefferson, it makes the commuting numbers go lower. Since Bham's economy dwarfs Tuscaloosa's, the rise in Bham -> Tuscaloosa doesn't compare to the drop in Tuscaloosa -> Bham. So something that's actually tying the two cities more together economically in practice is on paper making it look like the two cities are drifting apart. It's similar with the Honda plant in Talladega county meant to draw on populations from the Bham metro, Talladega and Anniston.

In reality, Tuscaloosa and Anniston both feel closer to Bham than the numbers indicate (By the numbers, Gadsden is more likely to join Bham's CSA than Anniston, but Anniston honestly feels closer.). If Tuscaloosa was added, Bham would beat Greenville. If Anniston was added as well, it'd beat the Triad. And there's still Gadsden. This isn't to say they should be added, but rather to state that part of the feeling of oddity comes that Bham's CSA area can obviously grow, whereas Upstate SC and the Triad are a bit maxed out in the areas they can add. So their CSAs "feel" like the whole area, whereas Bham's CSA doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 09:57 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I live in Charlotte and most people I know opt to go to the zoo in Columbia.

Despite all the crude snark and unimaginative trolling in the earlier posts, folks will conveniently overlook that fact you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
But 50 years ago when the zoo was planned and built, Charlotte wasnt the Charlotte of today and Raleigh wasnt the Raleigh of today. And the zoo is pretty close to Greensboro which at the time wad not nearly as "behind" those two as it is now. Heck, Greensboro and Winston-Salem were both bigger than Raleigh and Durham for the 1970 census.

Sure, if those planning the zoo had a crystal ball maybe things would have been different as far as where it was placed. Maybe they would do a zoo near Charlotte and a second zoo near Raleigh/Durham. As is though, its about 90 minutes from both, a very doable day trip.

But having access to 1000+ acres in that location was another huge consideration. The ability of the animals to have more room to roam is part of what I like about the NC Zoo.
Really good points.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:17 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
I get it it’s a big zoo, but couldn’t it at least have been placed in a major metro area? It could have been placed on the outskirts of Wake County and still be the same size as it is. It’s so inconvenient and out of the way, in a town without anything else I’m aware of. It makes zero sense to me why the North Carolina Zoo is out in the boonies instead of near Charlotte or Raleigh.
I'm sorry you think a 1.5 hour drive is so inconvenient, and that Asheboro is so inconsequential. Since you haven't lived in NC very long, I would recommend that you take some time to get to know your adopted home state a little better. There are some nice locally owned restaurants and retail in Asheboro. The nearby Seagrove area is internationally recognized for its pottery heritage. The Uwharrie National Forest and its ancient mountains have a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.

https://www.asheboronc.gov/discover_...nformation.php

https://discoverseagrove.com/

https://ncpotterycenter.org/

https://www.visitnc.com/listing/SfSU...ational-forest

Old 07-12-2023, 12:27 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
CSA is slightly misleading with regards to Bham. Tuscaloosa isn't in the same CSA as Bham despite their main counties adjoining. The Mercedes plant was built halfway between the two cities to obviously draw workforce from both, but as it's in Tuscaloosa county, not Jefferson, it makes the commuting numbers go lower. Since Bham's economy dwarfs Tuscaloosa's, the rise in Bham -> Tuscaloosa doesn't compare to the drop in Tuscaloosa -> Bham. So something that's actually tying the two cities more together economically in practice is on paper making it look like the two cities are drifting apart. It's similar with the Honda plant in Talladega county meant to draw on populations from the Bham metro, Talladega and Anniston.

In reality, Tuscaloosa and Anniston both feel closer to Bham than the numbers indicate (By the numbers, Gadsden is more likely to join Bham's CSA than Anniston, but Anniston honestly feels closer.). If Tuscaloosa was added, Bham would beat Greenville. If Anniston was added as well, it'd beat the Triad. And there's still Gadsden. This isn't to say they should be added, but rather to state that part of the feeling of oddity comes that Bham's CSA area can obviously grow, whereas Upstate SC and the Triad are a bit maxed out in the areas they can add. So their CSAs "feel" like the whole area, whereas Bham's CSA doesn't.
Point taken, but you have to consider the fact that advocating for more real estate for CSA Birmingham defeats the purpose when you look at the following.....

Birmingham CSA
1.35 million people
6,751.3 square miles

Greenville Spartanburg CSA
1.5 million people
5,506.7 square miles

Greensboro Winston-Salem CSA
1.7 million people
4,959 square miles

And let's throw in Memphis since I mentioned it too....

Memphis CSA
1.36 million people
5,210 square miles

It's amazing how large the so-called lesser tier metros of the Carolinas actually are. There's a lot of people in the Carolinas outside of Charlotte and the Triangle areas.

One more thing; after looking at the actual data I was shocked to find out that Birmingham (as it stands now) has more territory than Charlotte.

Charlotte CSA
2.92 million people
6,456.8 square miles

Atlanta is the sprawl king though

Atlanta CSA
7 million people
13,053.2 square miles

Old 07-12-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'm sorry you think a 1.5 hour drive is so inconvenient, and that Asheboro is so inconsequential. Since you haven't lived in NC very long, I would recommend that you take some time to get to know your adopted home state a little better. There are some nice locally owned restaurants and retail in Asheboro. The nearby Seagrove area is internationally recognized for its pottery heritage. The Uwharrie National Forest and its ancient mountains have a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.

https://www.asheboronc.gov/discover_...nformation.php

https://discoverseagrove.com/

https://ncpotterycenter.org/

https://www.visitnc.com/listing/SfSU...ational-forest
Ok so what we’re not gonna do is act like Asheboro is anything more than a pit stop city off of I-74. Appreciate the attempt, but let’s not do that.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Point taken, but you have to consider the fact that advocating for more real estate for CSA Birmingham defeats the purpose when you look at the following.....

Birmingham CSA
1.35 million people
6,751.3 square miles

Greenville Spartanburg CSA
1.5 million people
5,506.7 square miles

Greensboro Winston-Salem CSA
1.7 million people
4,959 square miles

And let's throw in Memphis since I mentioned it too....

Memphis CSA
1.36 million people
5,210 square miles

It's amazing how large the so-called lesser tier metros of the Carolinas actually are. There's a lot of people in the Carolinas outside of Charlotte and the Triangle areas.

One more thing; after looking at the actual data I was shocked to find out that Birmingham (as it stands now) has more territory than Charlotte.

Charlotte CSA
2.92 million people
6,456.8 square miles

Atlanta is the sprawl king though

Atlanta CSA
7 million people
13,053.2 square miles
Let’s not be disingenuous with our characterizations here just to try to prop up Charlotte. Atlanta proper is waaaay more dense than Charlotte proper. And it’s not even close. There’s not really any sprawl in Atlanta proper at all. So when you make a statement saying “Atlanta is the sprawl king ” and then post CSA numbers, that’s problematic.

But you’re right the Carolinas are holding a lot of people in some clustered areas within each state. And of course the spillage from Charlotte over into Rock hill that incorporates both states.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:58 PM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Let’s not be disingenuous with our characterizations here just to try to prop up Charlotte. Atlanta proper is waaaay more dense than Charlotte proper. And it’s not even close. There’s not really any sprawl in Atlanta proper at all. So when you make a statement saying “Atlanta is the sprawl king ” and then post CSA numbers, that’s problematic.

But you’re right the Carolinas are holding a lot of people in some clustered areas within each state. And of course the spillage from Charlotte over into Rock hill that incorporates both states.
Not trying to argue but he wasn't trying to prop up Charlotte over Atlanta at all. And to be honest it is not way more dense at all in the center than Charlotte. Atlanta drops off pretty quick like all the other major Southern metros outside of their core. Atlanta is considered the most sprawling major city metro and its really not a knock at all because it's a great city. It just sprawls lol

Old 07-12-2023, 02:33 PM

676 posts, read 493,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I think if the state could do it over again, the powers that be might choose a more populated area. Probably somewhere in the Triangle.

I live in Charlotte and most people I know opt to go to the zoo in Columbia.
1. I doubt the State would change a thing

2. A zoo that is the same distance from Charlotte as the NC Zoo. Perhaps they prefer a more compact zoo.... maybe they just don't like walking that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Leave it to the government to prop up something that would be otherwise unsustainable. Why not two zoos? One in Charlotte, and one in Raleigh.

So instead of one top notch zoo, you could have 2 mediocre zoos.

Nothing is stopping the world class cities of Raleigh and Charlotte from having their own zoos. If little ol podunk places like Greensboro can have a minor zoo... then Raleigh and Charlotte can surely have their own.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Not trying to argue but he wasn't trying to prop up Charlotte over Atlanta at all. And to be honest it is not way more dense at all in the center than Charlotte. Atlanta drops off pretty quick like all the other major Southern metros outside of their core. Atlanta is considered the most sprawling major city metro and its really not a knock at all because it's a great city. It just sprawls lol
Wait you’re gonna sit here with a straight face and try to say that Atlanta proper isn’t way more dense than Charlotte proper?!!! Cmon QC, don’t do that .

Old 07-12-2023, 03:11 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

I didn't want to go there but compare the population and population density of Fulton county and Mecklenburg county. And then compare the land area and density of Dekalb county versus the city of Charlotte (the most dense county in Georgia). For a Metro of over 6 million people the core density and population should not be that close whether you agree or not...

I run a small trucking company and I was just at the Norfolk Southern rail yard just outside of downtown Atlanta. I honestly should have taken pictures of what I saw in the shadow of midtown and downtown skyline. You're giving Atlanta's core way too much credit my friend

What I saw within a few miles of that beautiful skyline was indistinguishable from a regular Street in Florence South Carolina! And let's be fair Charlotte has plenty of those areas too near downtown but Atlanta should not have any. The same can be said about Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina