Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?
Washington, D.C. 27 29.67%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Neither 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2021, 07:29 PM

405 posts, read 317,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I think the corporate heft of Atlanta matters more. People have jobs here because of corporations based in Atlanta, or those which have important hubs based there.

As a teenager in Greensboro, I remember hearing talk of others heading out to Atlanta for a weekend trip for entertainment or major sports. I can't remember DC ever discussed other than as a cultural/heritage tour. Go see the Smithsonian and the monuments... and it's checked off.

Yes – I agree that Home Depot, Coca Cola and UPS (all headquartered in Atlanta) provide many jobs, most being low paying and low skilled in nature. Atlanta does have some highly rated universities and that’s the strongest thing that they have going for them IMO. Also, the airport / Delta Airlines is a strong asset. Beyond that, there’s nothing much unusual or exceptional there.

Washington, DC is a world-class, global city and seat of the US Government . It’s not a surprise that southerners might feel more at home in Atlanta, but that doesn’t change anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 07:32 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
I don't think either are close enough to be significantly tied to NC for regular activities, with the exception of extreme Western NC being closer to Atlanta than other major NC cities.

There may be some people who would drive that distance to either for a sporting event or concert, but that's kind of negligible when it's 4-6 hours or more one-way for most of the state. It's just a big hassle for many people (at least I'm speaking for myself) without at least spending a night or two. If either were a couple hours away that would be a sweeter spot for more connection to a larger city than what NC has within its borders.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-20-2021 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 08:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
In terms of influence and cultural amenities offered, it’s Washington, DC without a doubt. Atlanta has absolutely no “influence” on North Carolina (whatever that means) and it is also a cultural backwater compared to DC.
Cultural backwater compared to DC?

You know Atlanta is like. The major city of the south but more importantly, you know. Atlanta is a major black cultural hub.... so.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Yes – I agree that Home Depot, Coca Cola and UPS (all headquartered in Atlanta) provide many jobs, most being low paying and low skilled in nature. Atlanta does have some highly rated universities and that’s the strongest thing that they have going for them IMO. Also, the airport / Delta Airlines is a strong asset. Beyond that, there’s nothing much unusual or exceptional there.

Washington, DC is a world-class, global city and seat of the US Government . It’s not a surprise that southerners might feel more at home in Atlanta, but that doesn’t change anything.

Didn’t see this before I replied earlier.

I’m just curious. Are you aware you live in Raleigh and the things you’re slamming Atlanta for probably applies to Raleigh even more so???

Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,568 times
I can't speak for all/other North Carolinians but I personally think it's DC.

But I do feel like on which side of the state you live could heavily influence that though. Im positive my answer would be ATL if I lived in the Charlotte region.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte485 View Post
cultural backwater compared to dc?

You know atlanta is like. The major city of the south but more importantly, you know. Atlanta is a major black cultural hub.... So.
huh ?

Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
huh ?
Are you unaware that Atlanta is a hub for black culture?

Old 01-20-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Didn’t see this before I replied earlier.

I’m just curious. Are you aware you live in Raleigh and the things you’re slamming Atlanta for probably applies to Raleigh even more so???

You’re not “curious”, but perhaps provocative. No, I am not “slamming” Atlanta, I just prefer Washington, DC to Atlanta. Please don’t pretend to read my mind or speak on my behalf.

Regarding Raleigh generally, and the RTP area specifically, it is head and shoulders above “Hot Lanta” in terms of top notch research universities (three-3), it’s a top 5 life sciences hub and quantum computing-IoT-advanced chip design and production-AI leader, etc.

Alas, Raleigh doesn’t have a Cheetah strip club but we are working on it. LOL

Old 01-20-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Are you unaware that Atlanta is a hub for black culture?
Huh ?

Old 01-20-2021, 10:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I think for the western part of the state it's Atlanta. And for the northern and eastern part it's DC. But I don't think either one of them have much influence on NC except of course the federal govt in DC. And SGMI, I grew up in NC (born in Fayetteville, have lived in the Triangle for a long time now) and have been to DC several more times than I've been to Atlanta, but I don't go to either one very much at all. I've probably been to DC 5 times and Atlanta twice or maybe 3 times. Just not a big draw for me.

(Both DC and Atlanta are hubs for black culture, aren't they?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina