Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?
Washington, D.C. 27 29.67%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Neither 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM

726 posts, read 496,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplanted View Post
Seems you're venting because Charlotte is not considered a major city at all. Needs to grow another 3 million or so.
So Denver, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Orlando, and Baltimore aren't major? These are all Charlotte's peers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 11:09 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Dude. Yikes. Racism much? Jesus.
There's nothing racist about the nickname which was affectionately coined by Black folks in reference to DC's status as the first majority Black major city in the country and as a cultural expression of pride. DC is still colloquially referred to as such at times by Black people.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:23 AM

65 posts, read 21,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
So Denver, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Orlando, and Baltimore aren't major? These are all Charlotte's peers....
In the league of Atlanta, DC, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Philly and Boston? Each with populations around 6 million.

No. Like I said in the OP, Charlotte needs to grow by another 3 million.

...and by "grow" I mean really grow, I don't mean try to annex Greenville/Spartanburg and the Triad into the Charlotte metro to get there, like Charlotte did with Mecklenburg County to get to 800,000.

Last edited by NorthernTransplanted; 02-13-2021 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's nothing racist about the nickname which was affectionately coined by Black folks in reference to DC's status as the first majority Black major city in the country and as a cultural expression of pride. DC is still colloquially referred to as such at times by Black people.
IF the person who says it is black. Just like one black person can call a another black person by the "N" word but people who are not black should never do that. I believe the OP poster has made reference to his race in the past which wasn't black.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
Quote:
IF the person who says it is black. Just like one black person can call a another black person by the "N" word but people who are not black should never do that. I believe the OP poster has made reference to his race in the past which wasn't black.

You just joined in Jan. 2021.

I’ve ignored all the various new accounts spamming the Charlotte and NC topics about Charlotte sucking. Whatever. But the things you say about race it’s so ignorant and offensive.

You can’t equate “chocolate city” to the N word. It is so ignorant of you to say. I’m just going to assume you’re a child from Raleigh and you’re having fun hating on another city. And your reasonings - particularly on race - would probably be a little more understandable. It’s just a kid who is still growing and learning.

But if you’re an adult. It’s so odd you brag about the triangle being educated, sophisticated, worldly yet your views are so ignorant - if not pure bigoted. I also can’t understand why someone from New York, not from NC and never having lived in Charlotte has such strong feelings about it.

(And if a black person called my black friends the N word. It would be on.)

Old 02-13-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You just joined in Jan. 2021.

I’ve ignored all the various new accounts spamming the Charlotte and NC topics about Charlotte sucking. Whatever. But the things you say about race it’s so ignorant and offensive.

You can’t equate “chocolate city” to the N word. It is so ignorant of you to say. I’m just going to assume you’re a child from Raleigh and you’re having fun hating on another city. And your reasonings - particularly on race - would probably be a little more understandable. It’s just a kid who is still growing and learning.

But if you’re an adult. It’s so odd you brag about the triangle being educated, sophisticated, worldly yet your views are so ignorant - if not pure bigoted. I also can’t understand why someone from New York, not from NC and never having lived in Charlotte has such strong feelings about it.

(And if a black person called my black friends the N word. It would be on.)
Oh, so you "have black friends". I've heard that one before too.

Didn't you say once you were hispanic? Nah bruh, you should not refer to DC as "Chocolate City" if you are hispanic. Can't believe one has to even tell you that. Sorry.

I not being black, I think if I walked across the street in DC and asked a random African American stranger if I were in "Chocolate City", something tells me he would be offended. Just sayin'. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Didn't you say once you were hispanic? Nah bruh, you should not refer to DC as "Chocolate City" if you are hispanic. Can't believe one has to even tell you that. Sorry.

I not being black, I think if I walked across the street in DC and asked a random African American stranger if I were in "Chocolate City", something tells me he would be offended. Just sayin'. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Well, like I said. You’re extremely ignorant of Washington. And that’s stunningly offensive you would equate Washington’s nickname to one of the most vile words.

and of course I have black friends. And they’re not just “black.” They’re diverse coming from all over the south and Africa and South America.... One that is Polish, lol. And I’m telling you. If anyone of any race called them the N-word. They’d be furious. Whether black brown or purple.... that word isn’t appropriate, period. They’re all professionals. They all are educated etc so, no. It’s not ok to use the N word on them - period. That’s so disgusting to me that you think there is an appropriate time to call someone that or even insinuate they’re uneducated people going around saying the N word to eachother..... Maybe you’re referring to the word when it ends in a “a” and not a “er” but still. My friends still wouldn’t like that so. Not saying that’s true for everyone but.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-13-2021 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Well, like I said. You’re extremely ignorant of Washington.

and of course I have black friends. And they’re not just “black.” They’re diverse coming from all over the south and Africa and South America.... One that is Polish, lol. And I’m telling you. If anyone of any race called them the N-word. They’d be furious. Whether black brown or purple.... that word isn’t appropriate, period. They’re all professionals. They all are educated etc so, no. It’s not ok to use the N word on them - period. That’s so disgusting to me that you think there is an appropriate time to call someone that. Maybe you’re referring to the word when it ends in a “a” and not a “er” but still. My friends still wouldn’t like that so. Not saying that’s true for everyone but.
So now you're gonna play dumb like you don't know that black people don't often call each other the "N" word in casual back and forth play with one another? Really?? You gonna play that dumb???

Again, if you ain't black, you shouldn't say the "N" word. Period.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:14 PM

726 posts, read 496,137 times
Quote:

Again I'm a DC native and Chocolate City is exactly what us black people call DC. You are crossing a line....

Old 02-13-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
So now you're gonna play dumb like you don't know that black people don't often call each other the "N" word in casual back and forth play with one another? Really?? You gonna play that dumb???

Again, if you ain't black, you shouldn't say the "N" word. Period.
The fact that is your perception is offensive. Yes, in the streets they might use the word with an A at the end... My friends are all successful professionals. There’s a time and place to be profane, but to act like black people are just casually calling eachother seems like that’s your perception of black people.

And again. The fact you use a heinous word and equate it to a celebrated city nickname. But obviously, your ignorant and the worst type of racist. The ones who aren’t just upfront with their biased views and use their little dog whistles. It’s annoying. Just say what you really think so we know to let you go around being ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina