Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 PM

179 posts, read 583,020 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out from a contractors point of view, why does a basement seem so hard to do in NC. I don't mean one where the home is built low and backfilled, I believe you call these walk out basements. I'm talking about having the hole dug in the ground and a poured concrete basement with the top of the foundation 18-20" above final grade. I've read about the red clay, which Pennsylvania has loads, and they also have full basements. I have also read about the lay of the land and hard digging. In Connecticut, we have probably some of the worst land as far as grade, and tons of ledge, but most homes have full basements. High water table ? I live in a part of town that has the highest water table around, and while I do get water in my sump hole occasionally, I could carpet the rest of the floor if I wanted as it stays so dry. I'm sorry this is a little long, but I'm sure there are some contractors here that could offer me some explanation to this. I hope I'm not coming across as picky, but I'm used to having the furnace and hot water heater in a basement, not above my head in a somewhat hard to access attic, and not to mention the many other uses for the basement.

Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 04:43 AM

823 posts, read 3,924,632 times
I think the foundation decision is based on economics. Here in Pennsylvania, footings must be dug 4' deep. By the time you go that deep, you might as well have a basement. In a lot of NC, footing only have to be 18" down, so crawl spaces were the most common. But there were homes in town where they did have basements. I have friends in Raleigh who own a 1920's bungalow with full basement. I don't think the soil is any worse in NC than in many areas in the North. An additional reason for a basement in the North were to provide food store space that wouldn't freeze.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,834 times
From what I understand it is code that all basements in NC must have a walkout.
So many of the local homes have the garages in the basement. Bilevels or as they call them "split foyers" are very popular here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina