Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM

745 posts, read 507,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I'm also black tho lol I never stated because Greensboro has two HBCUs that it's liberal, buttttttt I don't pick up a conservative vibe and I have been to several places and lived outside of NC to tell...but shrugs, if that's what you picked up that's what you picked up
When I say conservative I mean slower paced, not as progressive, etc.... to me it is those things...not only did I go to college there but I moved back 5 years after graduation and lived there another 10 years as an adult. It's not a knock on Greensbor. Just a observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,969,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
When I say conservative I mean slower paced, not as progressive, etc.... to me it is those things...not only did I go to college there but I moved back 5 years after graduation and lived there another 10 years as an adult. It's not a knock on Greensbor. Just a observation.
I get what you mean, however I do not feel or see this “slow pace” you speak of, Certainly not so with all of the revitalizing and construction on nearly every block downtown, maybe it was slower pace in 2010 or 2016 but certainly not the case in 2019, I see people walking, busy construction workers, large quantities of people in pubic spaces, it’s all very vibrant and energetic.

I have been to many large metros, Houston, Atlanta, New York, Charlotte, boston, Maryland, DC, to name a few, coming back into current day Greensboro, downtown specifically I really don’t feel a slower pace, mainly due to what I mentioned earlier, people give downtowns a certain energy, Downtown is also growing rather quickly in 2019, even vs just two years ago, this will not look or feel like the same city in two years time.

In a way it’s similar to Austin, at one point Austin’s downtown was so small, and in just a decade it went from poultry to significant, vibrant and hip, that same scenario is happening here, You just have to start somewhere, it’s not always going to be instant like Charlotte or Raleigh, a lot of cities have to work for it.

Progression takes time, Downtown projects went from revitalizing and saving dying store fronts in the late 90s to small 3 story office and apartment buildings through out the 2000’s to actual mid rises and high rises in the 2010s; I see that as major progression aswell as the local arts scene which is gaining a lot of attention nationally and internationally, this is all progression.

This is how you grow midsize cities into large size cities. Austin is proof of this. Durham, Greensboro, Winston are all pushing to be a large city some day, neither is stagnating or simply trying to live in the shadows of the larger metros.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 AM

37,917 posts, read 42,142,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
I have been to many large metros, Houston, Atlanta, New York, Charlotte, boston, Maryland, DC, to name a few, coming back into current day Greensboro, downtown specifically I really don’t feel a slower pace, mainly due to what I mentioned earlier, people give downtowns a certain energy
Are you saying that downtown Greensboro has just as many people as those cities' downtowns and isn't slower-paced in comparison? Because that would be quite a claim to make.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,969,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you saying that downtown Greensboro has just as many people as those cities' downtowns and isn't slower-paced in comparison? Because that would be quite a claim to make.
No. I’m saying that for a city it’s size it has a decent amount of street activity, it gives the impression that it is bigger than it actually is, with the people and development.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 PM

745 posts, read 507,664 times
Quote:
I get what you mean, however I do not feel or see this “slow pace” you speak of, Certainly not so with all of the revitalizing and construction on nearly every block downtown, maybe it was slower pace in 2010 or 2016 but certainly not the case in 2019, I see people walking, busy construction workers, large quantities of people in pubic spaces, it’s all very vibrant and energetic.

I have been to many large metros, Houston, Atlanta, New York, Charlotte, boston, Maryland, DC, to name a few, coming back into current day Greensboro, downtown specifically I really don’t feel a slower pace, mainly due to what I mentioned earlier, people give downtowns a certain energy, Downtown is also growing rather quickly in 2019, even vs just two years ago, this will not look or feel like the same city in two years time.

In a way it’s similar to Austin, at one point Austin’s downtown was so small, and in just a decade it went from poultry to significant, vibrant and hip, that same scenario is happening here, You just have to start somewhere, it’s not always going to be instant like Charlotte or Raleigh, a lot of cities have to work for it.

Progression takes time, Downtown projects went from revitalizing and saving dying store fronts in the late 90s to small 3 story office and apartment buildings through out the 2000’s to actual mid rises and high rises in the 2010s; I see that as major progression aswell as the local arts scene which is gaining a lot of attention nationally and internationally, this is all progression.

This is how you grow midsize cities into large size cities. Austin is proof of this. Durham, Greensboro, Winston are all pushing to be a large city some day, neither is stagnating or simply trying to live in the shadows of the larger metros.
I understand where you are coming from. Yes you are right cities take time to develop. It's just my observation that Greensboro is slower at this that's all. No big deal. As someone who sat on several city boards and worked in the government sector of the city I first hand witnessed decisions that were made that hampered the development of Greensboro. Yes some things are changing like the completion of the PAC center and the development around the ballpark, however, there are still food deserts where there shouldn't be, arguments over groccery stores, budget cutting for the bus system and the same money used to build a park, etc....these are just examples...

Old 09-20-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
No. I’m saying that for a city it’s size it has a decent amount of street activity, it gives the impression that it is bigger than it actually is, with the people and development.
Downtown Greensboro does have a decent amount of street activity but outside of major events like GHOE, I disagree that it gives the impression of being bigger than it actually is. I'm not even sure Winston-Salem and Durham give that impression and they are farther along with respect to downtown development and activity (Winston-Salem possibly due to its skyline).

Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,880,850 times
ON a side note, one thing that Greensboro has really step it up on is Street Art, haven't been to Asheville but that's probably the only city in NC that can compare to it on that front. I see a new one every time I visit.

https://gsopublicart.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/2.jpg

Old 05-19-2024, 06:56 AM

5,886 posts, read 5,686,308 times
Started working in Durham 2 weeks ago, that'll be my home base (for work) for awhile. So on Thursday I hung out in Downtown Durham for the second time recently...

The downtowns of all three of these cities are very comparable. Similarly designed, similarly sized, and I dont know that there's a huge distinction between either. They all have that funky vibe and less corporate vibe than the downtowns of Charlotte and Raleigh, they all are cute and walkable, etc...

If I was making the case for one of these cities over the other based on the downtowns, I couldn't do it. They are more or less the same place downtown...

I think Greensboro is the most beautiful city in the state especially this time of year, so it would be the city I'd recommend in total, plus it just feels more like a magnet, a draw more than the other two. I've always liked Greensboro...

Don't much like the other two though Durham is growing on me again. I can appreciate the other two...

But the downtowns of all three are too much alike to me to make any real differences...

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Started working in Durham 2 weeks ago, that'll be my home base (for work) for awhile. So on Thursday I hung out in Downtown Durham for the second time recently...

The downtowns of all three of these cities are very comparable. Similarly designed, similarly sized, and I dont know that there's a huge distinction between either. They all have that funky vibe and less corporate vibe than the downtowns of Charlotte and Raleigh, they all are cute and walkable, etc...

If I was making the case for one of these cities over the other based on the downtowns, I couldn't do it. They are more or less the same place downtown...

I think Greensboro is the most beautiful city in the state especially this time of year, so it would be the city I'd recommend in total, plus it just feels more like a magnet, a draw more than the other two. I've always liked Greensboro...

Don't much like the other two though Durham is growing on me again. I can appreciate the other two...

But the downtowns of all three are too much alike to me to make any real differences...
In NC, it seems Durham essentially created the blueprint for successful downtown revitalization via newly-constructed and adaptively reused anchor developments like Brightleaf Square, DPAC, Durham Bulls Park, and American Tobacco. Its downtown seems to be more compact, structurally dense, and synergetic of the three.

Greensboro took a page out of Durham's playbook with its downtown parks, the PAC, the ballpark, etc. as its anchors in addition to other features like the greenway loop. Additionally it has the benefit of being flanked by two sizable universities which gives its nightlife scene a youthful, vibrant vibe.

Winston-Salem has a more impressive historic urban fabric which testifies to its historic industrial importance and unique historic assets in Old Salem and Historic Bethabara. To me, this conveys a more mid-Atlantic type of feel to the downtown core.

To varying degrees, the three midsized Piedmont cities are where legacy NC industry meets the modern NC economy and they embody both the past and current essence and identity of the state best, culturally, demographically, and economically.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,486,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In NC, it seems Durham essentially created the blueprint for successful downtown revitalization via newly-constructed and adaptively reused anchor developments like Brightleaf Square, DPAC, Durham Bulls Park, and American Tobacco. Its downtown seems to be more compact, structurally dense, and synergetic of the three.

Greensboro took a page out of Durham's playbook with its downtown parks, the PAC, the ballpark, etc. as its anchors in addition to other features like the greenway loop. Additionally it has the benefit of being flanked by two sizable universities which gives its nightlife scene a youthful, vibrant vibe.

Winston-Salem has a more impressive historic urban fabric which testifies to its historic industrial importance and unique historic assets in Old Salem and Historic Bethabara. To me, this conveys a more mid-Atlantic type of feel to the downtown core.

To varying degrees, the three midsized Piedmont cities are where legacy NC industry meets the modern NC economy and they embody both the past and current essence and identity of the state best, culturally, demographically, and economically.
Well-stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina