Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina vs. Ma: variety of eating establishments, Meck School system, well developed area, expensive utilities, traffic

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,649 times

Advertisements

Firstly I'll admit that's it almost 2 am and I should be in bed but here I am typing away at what I've wanted to do for a few weeks now. The reason that I'm still up is that we had a little bit of a party tonight and the last person just left. I'm a little tired but not tired enough to stop me when i get inspired to write. I love writing so go grab yourself some vodka and hang out and read my probably long winded blurb that has no value and is very random....

It's not quite 6 months here for us but only about 10 days away. I've started this update probably 3 or 4 times and it always sounded lame, kinda whining like, so I've always canceled out and didn't save it. I've probably typed 50 pages of random blab and deleted it all, this time is gonna be different and I'm gonna post it.

So far for us it's been all good Our son, who is 11, is playing soccer and it's so cool to be watching him play soccer in the middle of December! Tomorrow is going to be over 70 degrees here. I know it's been mild back in MA this year but I'm still wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I couldn't be happier about it.

There are brief moments that we get the blues from missing everyone back in MA (I almost want to say back at home but here is home now) but for the most part it fades and things are okay.

My wife has a more difficult time than me cause she has a lot of friends that she talks to on the phone to all the time and she misses seeing them but nobody likes me so I don't need to worry about it as much There is a benefit to being a loner I guess.

Oh don't get me wrong, all the chicks in the new hood dig me, but fantasy world is not quite as fulfilling as chit chatting to several friends everyday I suppose.

I think my wife needs that contact and it's good because otherwise she'd want to talk to me

We have some pretty good neighbors but all is not as cheery as it appears. We've developed a group of regulars that come over to our house on Fridays to have a couple of beers when we're available. So far it's been the same group of mostly women who come over and I think find our friendship to be a weekly escape of some sort from a mudane week of wathcing Jerry Springer and Court TV. There is a big difference between guy talk and girl talk. Crying at 1 am is not guy talk and that's when my eyes start rolling like a slot machine and I vanish. Not everyone is as happy as you'd like to think they are I guess.

Anyway back to our move here... After 6 months I can still say that we're happy about it. Sometimes we joke about when we move back but I'm not sure if either of us really wants to do that. We're really looking forward to next spring and summer when the warmth returns.

It's amazing how quickly you get used to the heat. When we first moved here I was sweating like a pig. Looked like I ran a 5k just bringing the trash out. I remember when we used to turn the heat up to 70 as a treat during the winters in MA. Now down here my hands get numb when it gets below 72.. I never thought that I'd get to used to it or want it, but now I want it to be hot and sultry again. Now that sounds sexy doesn't it?

I'm disappointed that in 6 months we've only managed to hit a few places of interest.. We've been to Michaels craft store in Mooresville, Birkdale Village, Midtown Sundries on Lake Norman, Charlotte Airport and the DMV. Oh almost forgot, we've been to the ABC store once or twice. I know you guys are jealous that we've travelled so extensively but that's the life of a playboy I guess. We did recently go on a cruise that we planned last year and we're flying back to 'home' for a few days christmas week so it's not all lame.

We're currently looking for a place on the coast for a week or two in the summer. I can't believe the difference between here and say Cape Cod. There are so many places on the ocean here for about $2k a week compared to $5k a week on the cape.

Our neighborhood is still under development. My wife and I both work at home. She decided on bell south for phone and dsl for internet access and I decide on cable with voice over ip for phone. Her phone line was cut for the 11th time yesterday. Of course evertime it gets cut it's my fault and I need to share my internet connection wth her. God, what a computer dork I've become.. It's my paycheck however so dork or not here I am..

continued...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,649 times
Default continued, 5k character limit:

Okay so I've drummed up a list of things that I like and dislike so far:

Large variety of eating establishments
Meck School system is terrific(my opinion)
<Begin Mini tangent>
I know meck county schools have had difficulties in the past but if you are looking to buy down here please really check out the schools that your kids will be going to and see what the parents and kids really think. No offense to anyone but there are a lot of lingering negative thoughts about the schools that just don't seem to be true in all cases anymore.
<End tangent>
Lower cost of mortgage and RE taxes
Warmer climate
Friendly neighbors and people. (Not used to strangers wanting to talk or giving compliments back. In MA strangers who wanted to talk were either nuts or wanted money)
Well developed area with continued growth
Lots of kids for our children to be friends with
So clean and tidy, like being in a retirement community without being retired.

Dislikes:
Water, electric, gas are more expensive and rates change during peak times.
Groceries are more expensive.
Produce doesn't seem to last as long.
Traffic at given times. Being at a popular place at rush hour is bad BUT in comparison to say Boston traffic it's a piece of cake still.
Neighbors are psycho

I know short list but that's all I can think of at 3am.

I just realized that all this time I've had my headphones on and had the tunes blaring, got up for a minute and realized that my headset wasn't plugged in.. Gonna get heck for that tomorrow. So with that in mind I guess it's time for bed. I wanted to get really deep into the moving process and I know you guys were looking forward to that but I suppose it'll have to wait for another time..

Old 12-16-2006, 07:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Thank you so much for your insight. It is always helpful to hear how a recent transplant is coming along.

Thanks again
dorothy

Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 AM

94 posts, read 345,338 times
Now that was a fun read.

Glad to hear you're having a good time down here, Markh.

fern

Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
That was a great read, Mark. Thanks for the honesty. I'm glad you like it for the most part.

I feel for your wife. It's hard to compare lifelong friends with people you've just met and gotten to know over a few months. BTW, your wife must be a great listener. Too good, perhaps?

p.s. Isn't it strange how produce doesn't keep as well here? What's up with that?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,389,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
Okay so I've drummed up a list of things that I like and dislike so far:

Large variety of eating establishments
Meck School system is terrific(my opinion)
<Begin Mini tangent>
I know meck county schools have had difficulties in the past but if you are looking to buy down here please really check out the schools that your kids will be going to and see what the parents and kids really think. No offense to anyone but there are a lot of lingering negative thoughts about the schools that just don't seem to be true in all cases anymore.
<End tangent>
Lower cost of mortgage and RE taxes
Warmer climate
Friendly neighbors and people. (Not used to strangers wanting to talk or giving compliments back. In MA strangers who wanted to talk were either nuts or wanted money)
Well developed area with continued growth
Lots of kids for our children to be friends with
So clean and tidy, like being in a retirement community without being retired.

Dislikes:
Water, electric, gas are more expensive and rates change during peak times.
Groceries are more expensive.
Produce doesn't seem to last as long.
Traffic at given times. Being at a popular place at rush hour is bad BUT in comparison to say Boston traffic it's a piece of cake still.
Neighbors are psycho

I know short list but that's all I can think of at 3am.

I just realized that all this time I've had my headphones on and had the tunes blaring, got up for a minute and realized that my headset wasn't plugged in.. Gonna get heck for that tomorrow. So with that in mind I guess it's time for bed. I wanted to get really deep into the moving process and I know you guys were looking forward to that but I suppose it'll have to wait for another time..
May I ask which development you are in? and what schools your kids are going to???? Ive heard such not nice things about Meck Schools and high taxes and other things being more expensive...Some of the recruiters recommended the Lake Norman area for us too look at however 2 people we know left NC Meck/County 1 went back to MA and the other one came back to NJ.....So I can only go on what they said..Any other input would be great.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:34 AM

474 posts, read 2,193,180 times
Let us know how you and your wife feel after you come back from "home" after the holidays. We found that we were euphoric for the first two years or so, then it wore off, and we couldn't wait to get back to family and friends. So much changes back "home", and we found that we were no longer in the loop; and it became more and more difficult to head south after experiencing the home town and decided the only difference was the weather. Family, friends and roots become more important as you get older.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:01 PM

214 posts, read 702,077 times
As a recent transplant from Mass (almost 5 months), I too enjoyed your post and can completely sympathize with your wife. The kids adjusted so quickly but for me, it was difficult to lose my support system of my family and friends. Everyone's life goes on and it is hard to still feel connected being so far away. I agree with a lot of what you have observed especially the cost of groceries and the quality of produce (and meat I might add). Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,389,863 times
Smile 6 Month Update

I must say my husband and I loved this post....Being that we would be moving no family or friends I could certainly empathize your wife..My husband however since its my family he feels that as much as we love them we have to do what is best for "our" family and I agree, but thought of this move well I have alot of mixed feelings however I know that it is something I really want to do..My son will be 12 in april and my daughter will be 8 in March..I always hope that there will be alot of kids for them to play with as my daughter has alot of friends, where as my son does not, so he is excited about a move and wants to go.....Anyway Im rambling now so I will shut up but I did want to comment that we loved reading your post and want to hear more, as we hope to start a new chapter in our lives as well as making new friends!!!!

Staci

Old 12-16-2006, 03:18 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Hi there
You know we came from Ireland and everytime we go home, we cant wait to get back "home".
We feel that we dont belong there, dont belong here in NY ; probably belong somewhere in the middle of the pond.
Life goes on with or without us. Here we dont have many friends ; some moved out of state, some moved back to Ireland, so for us to move again to somewhere new and fresh would be a welcoming thing.

We just want to live somewhere that the hustle and bustle is a lot calmer that NY.
dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina