Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina vs. Ma: variety of eating establishments, Meck School system, well developed area, expensive utilities, traffic

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,858 times

Advertisements

Markh, c'mon. You know last week the low temps were in the teens in Charlotte and highs in the upper 30s!

Get used to the NC weather, its a roller coaster.

Glad you are enjoying NC. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,546,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Markh, c'mon. You know last week the low temps were in the teens in Charlotte and highs in the upper 30s!

Your right! A roller coaster is the best way to describe NC's weather. It can get very cold at times during the winter. Even below zero. At the same time, it can be 75 degrees.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,668,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Your right! A roller coaster is the best way to describe NC's weather. It can get very cold at times during the winter. Even below zero. At the same time, it can be 75 degrees.
Doesn't the saying go something like...

If you don't like the weather in NC, don't worry, it will change?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:27 AM

543 posts, read 1,827,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
That was a great read, Mark. Thanks for the honesty. I'm glad you like it for the most part.

I feel for your wife. It's hard to compare lifelong friends with people you've just met and gotten to know over a few months. BTW, your wife must be a great listener. Too good, perhaps?

p.s. Isn't it strange how produce doesn't keep as well here? What's up with that?
We do have some friends that moved here a few years ago for work and it's been nice that they are close by and certainly helps with the all alone feeling.

Good listener? I'll let you know once she starts listening to me

I did hear her say last week to not help with the laundry anymore. It went something like:

You NEVER HELP me ANYMORE, no LAUNDRY, no CLEANING, no making the beds, all you do is sit on the COUCH and EAT.

What I heard was, NEVER HELP ANYMORE, sit on the COUCH and EAT.. Works for me, now if I can only find something to eat that hasn't turned brown..

The produce thing is odd. It looks good in the store but never seems to make it through the week.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
May I ask which development you are in? and what schools your kids are going to???? Ive heard such not nice things about Meck Schools and high taxes and other things being more expensive...Some of the recruiters recommended the Lake Norman area for us too look at however 2 people we know left NC Meck/County 1 went back to MA and the other one came back to NJ.....So I can only go on what they said..Any other input would be great.

We're in Rosedale in Huntersville and for anyone looking they just cleared the lots behind us to start working on. They are beautifully flat and rectangular. One is even a corner lot. The ultimate in ease of maintenance and functionality I think. I wanted flat and square but ended up with a drop-off in our back yard, it's not that big, but it's not flat either..

I think Meck county does have one of the higher tax rates of the areas around here but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than back up North was.

The school system is an endless debate and there's plenty of meck grads here that agree and disagree that the schools are whacked. I keep reading about how schools in other counties are better and blah blah blah.. Maybe they are, maybe they're not but once they get more overcrowded I think it's going to be more difficult for the lower tax rate counties to pay for expansion or even trailers and taxes will go up eventually. Just my opinion but just like any other school system, meck county has good and bad schools. Personally I feel the bad rap in here is not warranted all the time.

Anyway, our kids go to Torrence Creek and Bradley Middle and they both really like the schools. Not bragging here, well maybe a little, but they've both made the 'A' honor roll for the first half of the year.

There's a lot of debate about the trailers and they're made out to be a really bad thing but I don't see it like that.

Torrence Creek has trailers and I think they're set up in a professional manner not just tossed together. They have nice walkways connecting them, nice inside and I believe provide a good learning environment. It's a smart way to extend a school that is beyond it's capacity.

Overcrowding is another big issue and I think of overcrowding as a school that is jammed past it's capacity with no resolution. With the overcorwding comes a stigma that it can't possibly be providing a good learning environment. Well, trailers relieve overcrowding and provide a low cost means of school expansion. Each classroom has a teacher and they maintain control whether it's in the main building or in a trailer. If a school has trailers then the school has been expanded and the school may not be overcrowded anymore is the way I see it.

The whole trailer thing was very foreign to us. Never in the North did we see a school with a trailer unless it was under construction. Now that I see them I feel that they aren't a deterrent but an enhancement to the school.. An enhancement ?? Yes, otherwise our children might have been bussed to other schools or put into a true overcrowding situation with 50 students to a clasroom. The trailers to me signify recognition and temporary resolution to a growing environment. Not all schools are created equal and I can only go my what I see with the schools that are around us.

I like that our son can walk 4 houses away from us to school. I'm actually disappointed that he only goes ther for 1 year.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Let us know how you and your wife feel after you come back from "home" after the holidays. We found that we were euphoric for the first two years or so, then it wore off, and we couldn't wait to get back to family and friends. So much changes back "home", and we found that we were no longer in the loop; and it became more and more difficult to head south after experiencing the home town and decided the only difference was the weather. Family, friends and roots become more important as you get older.
I wonder that too and will let you know how it works out.

12 years ago we moved about an hour or so away from most of my family and 30 mins away from her family so we we're already out of the loop anyway. But there is a big difference from being an hour away to 15 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We just want to live somewhere that the hustle and bustle is a lot calmer that NY.
dorothy
The burbs here can definitely provide less hustle and bustle if you want it that way.

I don't find the lifestyle in our area all that different than what we had up north but what really makes it nice is that with the lower cost of housing my wife was able to stop hooking to help pay the mortgage LOL, she'd kill me if she read that...

Most everything other than housing and butts cost about the same but with some of the biggest costs reduced it really provides some relief and makes life a little simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

I couldn't believe it. Wasn't it a new record low for that time of the year? I almost cracked and put on long pants but managed to tough it out until the temp climb backed to 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Doesn't the saying go something like...

If you don't like the weather in NC, don't worry, it will change?
I thought that was a New England saying but I think it applies more to here though.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:46 AM

889 posts, read 3,120,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
We do have some friends that moved here a few years ago for work and it's been nice that they are close by and certainly helps with the all alone feeling.

Good listener? I'll let you know once she starts listening to me

I did hear her say last week to not help with the laundry anymore. It went something like:

You NEVER HELP me ANYMORE, no LAUNDRY, no CLEANING, no making the beds, all you do is sit on the COUCH and EAT.

What I heard was, NEVER HELP ANYMORE, sit on the COUCH and EAT.. Works for me, now if I can only find something to eat that hasn't turned brown..

The produce thing is odd. It looks good in the store but never seems to make it through the week.
The produce thing was a huge change for us. Being "The lettuce Capitol of the World" was in our backyard so to speak( back in Calif.) nothing beats fresh produce!
By the time it makes it this way, its does not last for more than a day unfortunatly.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:54 AM

505 posts, read 2,546,010 times
what do you mean by bad meats?

Do you mean things like steaks for example?

Or do you mean things like cold cuts? Because yes, we do have a bad selection of these.

But we have good meats like steaks. Just depends on where you shop.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM

889 posts, read 3,120,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
what do you mean by bad meats?

Do you mean things like steaks for example?

Or do you mean things like cold cuts? Because yes, we do have a bad selection of these.

But we have good meats like steaks. Just depends on where you shop.
Lowes Foods has exceptional meats for B-B-Q and also carrys a pretty high end brand of cold cuts.You cant get any better than Boars Head lunch meat.Harris Teeter also offers a great selection. Just dont agree with the bad meats.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Let us know how you and your wife feel after you come back from "home" after the holidays. We found that we were euphoric for the first two years or so, then it wore off, and we couldn't wait to get back to family and friends. So much changes back "home", and we found that we were no longer in the loop; and it became more and more difficult to head south after experiencing the home town and decided the only difference was the weather. Family, friends and roots become more important as you get older.
I've been waiting to reply to this for a while. I wanted to let my thoughts and the thoughts of my faimly sink in a bit before responding. I can understand your feelings and maybe our will change as time rolls on.

We went back to MA for 5 days after Christmas and we did a family vote toward the end of the week and asked ourselves and the kids if anyone wanted to move back to MA and it was a unanimous NO.

Maybe in two years it'll be different but for the short term we all couldn't wait to get back to our house in NC. In a way it seems weird to call NC home. We do own a house here and we love it here but it I guess our real home town always be in MA. Anyone else feel like that? It's hard to describe the exact feeling.

One month now after being back from MA we talked again about what everyone thought about our visit back home and it was still the same result nobody had an interest in moving back. Sure we miss the folks back home but I probably talk to people more now than I did when I was there. It was nice to see everyone but we couldn't wait to be back in Huntersville.

I'll update this thread again in two years and see if we've changed our minds by then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina