Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Charlotte is boringville unless you're into banking or NASCAR. Move to Raleigh/Durham.
Charlotte...boring...what a JOKE!

Charlotte is 2 or 3 times the size of Raleigh.

Nascar is NOT in Charlotte...it is in Concord!

Raleigh is a nice TOWN.....Charlotte is a nice CITY!

You obviously have never been to Charlotte making that ridiculous comment...or have not been here in years!

CHARLOTTE is THE city in NC!

GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 36,238 times
Thanks again y`all for all the replies - one follow up question - can anyone recommend a website or other way of searching for jobs in these two cities besides the usual job boards? Is it really difficult without being located already in the area?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 AM

115 posts, read 323,929 times
Although overall I prefer the Triangle over Charlotte, for young singles I would say Charlotte would probably be better. There is definitley a better scene for that - more restaurants, bars, and professional sports! The proximity to the mountains may also be a good thing also. I like the Triangle because it is more progressive, but I think Raleigh is really boring. I prefer the Chapel Hill area, Hillsborough, even certain parts of Durham. I think there are a lot of grad students there of all ages. I went to grad school there and many of my classmates were nontraditionals. I like the proximity to lots of educational and cultural opportunities, my alma mater (so i am notably biased), and the terrain. CH is hillier actually. I don't think that I can make a fair comparison with Charlotte since I grew up there, but I cannot speak to it now. I just know that I have some friends there who are young singles who have moved back from other places. They find it limiting, but adaptable... good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,678,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

You obviously have never been to Charlotte making that ridiculous comment...or have not been here in years!

GOOD LUCK!
Yeah you're right. Raleigh is a "town" close to 400,000 people in 115 sq miles. Charlotte is 650,000 in over 300 sq miles.

Charlotte's downtown has no equal when it comes to employment and housing. However to my surprise Raleigh has 50% more retail downtown (1 milllion sq ft vs 1.5 million sq ft. I know surprising. It also has roughly twice as many nightspots and bars. I've learned to not let big skylines fool me. Both cities could learn a lot from each other.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,615 times
Hello, I am also moving to NC and I was told to move to charlotte. I live in Madison Wisconsin now, but I have lived in Milwaukee my entire childhood. I v'e been to europe and lived in africa, so IM okay with new surrounding, but I acutally want to settle down somewhere. I have never been to NC, so right now I am searching apartment.com and other site for apartments. I know how that can be-- the photos will only show so much. I am worried about movin to a high crime, dense urban neighborhood. Milwaukee has a high crime rate and madison does not- they are exact opposite- I dont want to move almost hundreds of miles away, into an apartment that is surround by gang, violence and the club scene. I just graduated from undergrad, and now I have a little girl, so I am skipping my "20's".

I love madison but I hate all this snow- and there is a badger with a degree on every cornor- so my B.A. means nothing here, so I am tryin to move to a place that I can find a job and not worry about break ins and murder every night. I am young so I dont want to be out in the burbs but It is very inportant that I stay away from the hood,(no offense) I have lived there all my life, I want something better for my kid.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM

3,308 posts, read 8,570,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

GOOD LUCK!
There you go spreading lies again. Charlotte is not even 2 times the size of Raleigh. It's almost twice as big, but has more than 2 times the land area (can't even compare the two). As far as the "metro" areas of both areas it's almost identical in population. The population density of Raleigh is actually higher than Charlotte. Yes, Charlotte has a bigger skyline (Raleigh's is growing), but that is about it. Raleigh is not a town, unless you consider other cities around 400,000 people a town? Take away a few taller buildings in Charlotte's downtown and there is hardly a difference in the layout of population in the two areas.

You're always "bad mouthing" Raleigh to prove your point about Charlotte. We can both co-exist in NC just fine.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,678,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
There you go spreading lies again. Charlotte is not even 2 times the size of Raleigh. It's almost twice as big, but has more than 2 times the land area (can't even compare the two). As far as the "metro" areas of both areas it's almost identical in population. The population density of Raleigh is actually higher than Charlotte. Yes, Charlotte has a bigger skyline (Raleigh's is growing), but that is about it. Raleigh is not a town, unless you consider other cities around 400,000 people a town? Take away a few taller buildings in Charlotte's downtown and there is hardly a difference in the layout of population in the two areas.

You're always "bad mouthing" Raleigh to prove your point about Charlotte. We can both co-exist in NC just fine.
Not to mention the fact Raleigh is surrounded by suburban towns. Cary is almost 130,000 by itself.

Both Raleigh and Charlotte have decent a singles and professional scene. It's all up to the taste of your own personal experience. Raleigh is rated over Charlotte continuously in that area in numerous publications, but I still say what ever suits the individual best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina