Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol (NCSHP) announced that Operation Slow Down is kicking off this week. This will mainly target speeders on 4 lane roads, and will also include the participation of local and state law enforcement agencies.

1. 1,675 died on NC roadways in 2007.

2. One traffic fatality on NC roads every 5 and a half hours.

3. Over 26,000 people in 2007 that were cited for speeding were going in excess of 25 mph over the posted speed limit.

4. Speed related fatalities is the leading cause of death for NC teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol (NCSHP) announced that Operation Slow Down is kicking off this week. This will mainly target speeders on 4 lane roads, and will also include the participation of local and state law enforcement agencies.

1. 1,675 died on NC roadways in 2007.

2. One traffic fatality on NC roads every 5 and a half hours.

3. Over 26,000 people in 2007 that were cited for speeding were going in excess of 25 mph over the posted speed limit.

4. Speed related fatalities is the leading cause of death for NC teenagers.
These are some very disturbing stats, but I cannot say I am surprised as I see how folks drive every day.

I live in the country where traffic is at a minimum but when we go into the city it is like going to Lowe's Speedway! I would wager that the parents of all these terrible teen drivers were speeders themselves thus never becoming good role models?!

I believe that drugs and alcohol intertwined with speeding is the bigger problem too as they get high and don't care, resulting in the deaths of innocent bystanders....my two cents, bit it won't change a thing I am afraid

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Yes speeding contributes to the carnage on our roads, as do drunk drivers, but It is also time to make it illegal to talk on the phone while driving, as most are merely sitting in the drivers seat while carrying on a conversation, but they aren't actively driving the vehicle. I see them every day, wandering from lane to lane totally oblivious to anyone around them.

Talking on the phone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk NEW STUDY: Cell Phone in the Car Worse Than Drunk Driving - Prevention.com (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/cell-phone-in-the-car-worse-than-drunk-driving/5d1e9c777f803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/health/healthy.home.car.safety/ - broken link) and the laws need to be changed.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes speeding contributes to the carnage on our roads, as do drunk drivers, but It is also time to make it illegal to talk on the phone while driving, as most are merely sitting in the drivers seat while carrying on a conversation, but they aren't actively driving the vehicle. I see them every day, wandering from lane to lane totally oblivious to anyone around them.

Talking on the phone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk NEW STUDY: Cell Phone in the Car Worse Than Drunk Driving - Prevention.com (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/cell-phone-in-the-car-worse-than-drunk-driving/5d1e9c777f803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/health/healthy.home.car.safety/ - broken link) and the laws need to be changed.
Amen to that. Every day on my way home people are driving like idiots on their cell phones. Just yesterday a woman on her cell phone cut into my lane when I was right next to her and literally ran me into the other lane (if I didn't she would have hit me). I honked at her and she didn't skip a beat...just chating away on the phone like nothing happened. It took everything inside me not to go insane...it's like you just want to "reach out an touch (slap) someone".

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Yep--time for talking on cell phones and driving to come to an end! It's pretty obvious to most here it seems. At the very least they should use "hands-free" but even then it seems many people just can't do two things at once--carry on a conversation and drive!! Also, a bit less "drafting" would be nice. I know it saves on gas guys but come on!! Alcohol and drugs will always be a problem and will be one of the main causes in accidents. I really don't understand the mentality of driving so fast. I've been accused of having a lead foot but hey, no need to feel like your on a speedway!! I personally just stay in the right lane and let the others do what they feel they must--who am I to try to stop them---but don't get me involved in an accident just because you are 5 minutes late to work or whatever. Seems so many people are in a big hurry to get to.......????? I'm thinking a little "crack-down" just might help a little here!!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Unfortunately they will never be able to get a grip on speeding in Charlotte. It has gotten way out of hand and has been for many many years. Very very seldom do you ever see cars pulled in Mecklenburg County. I have lived here for 16 years and can probably count on both hands the number of times I have seen NC State Troopers pull cars in Mecklenburg.

It is like a Speedway on I-77, I-85 and I-485.....totally out of hand.

I personally hope they can get a grip on it...but it has been overlooked in Charlotte-Mecklenburg for so many years!

And don't even get me started on cell phone drivers!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
OK i am going to say this but please dont flame me because this is a simple observation NOT a complaint about how things are done "here".
After relocating to this area now almost two years ago,and after 4 trips "back home" the driving here is clearly not in my head.
It is the speeding but MOST of all the tailing that is involved.Now do people just follow close to my bumper when i am always going at least 5 miles over the speed limit ( and more on 77!) to speed me up more, or it's just how they were taught to drive? I just dont get the tailing thing.
The truckers mainly on 77.OMG-where are their rules, are there rules why are they allowed to be in any lane at any given time?
I n Calif.truckers have to be in the right hand lane and cannot exced 55 mile P.H.Here they are in and out of lanes, i have witness on several occasions with me doing record speed to just to see what they are doing.I have seen alot of 75-85MPH. by these idiots.Once no lie going into Charlotte, i was up to 90 trying to keep up with a race car hauler on a Sunday morning just trying to figure out how fast he was going.trust me, i did not do this for very long! The realization that anyone of these massive vehicles can loose control just makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
OK i am going to say this but please dont flame me because this is a simple observation NOT a complaint about how things are done "here".
After relocating to this area now almost two years ago,and after 4 trips "back home" the driving here is clearly not in my head.
It is the speeding but MOST of all the tailing that is involved.Now do people just follow close to my bumper when i am always going at least 5 miles over the speed limit ( and more on 77!) to speed me up more, or it's just how they were taught to drive? I just dont get the tailing thing.
The truckers mainly on 77.OMG-where are their rules, are there rules why are they allowed to be in any lane at any given time?
I n Calif.truckers have to be in the right hand lane and cannot exced 55 mile P.H.Here they are in and out of lanes, i have witness on several occasions with me doing record speed to just to see what they are doing.I have seen alot of 75-85MPH. by these idiots.Once no lie going into Charlotte, i was up to 90 trying to keep up with a race car hauler on a Sunday morning just trying to figure out how fast he was going.trust me, i did not do this for very long! The realization that anyone of these massive vehicles can loose control just makes me sick to my stomach.
In Charlotte on the Interstates...you need to drive at least 15-20 mph over the speed limit or you will get run over....5 mph and they will cut you off and practically run you off the road.

Trucks are NOT allowed to use the HOV lanes and have to use the right 2 lanes on the Interstates in Charlotte.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I am probably going to get flamed here, but it isn't speeding that is the problem. It is plain and simple reckless driving. This includes such things as not paying attention while you are driving, driving too aggressively (which is very different than driving fast), following too closely, and again, not paying attention (because that is a big one). I don't have a problem with a good driver going as fast as they want. I do have a big problem with bad and careless drivers.

I know that if you are involved in an accident, the faster you are traveling, the higher the rate of injuries and death. But if we had better driver training, speeding wouldn't matter. It actually annoys me that so much time and energy is spent on speeders but at least they (hopefully) recoup some of the costs in fines. Those same people that are in accidents are going to get in accidents whether they are going 55mph or 75mph, not because they are going fast but because they simply aren't paying attention.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
In Charlotte on the Interstates...you need to drive at least 15-20 mph over the speed limit or you will get run over....5 mph and they will cut you off and practically run you off the road.

Trucks are NOT allowed to use the HOV lanes and have to use the right 2 lanes on the Interstates in Charlotte.
I know on 77 you need to go at least that over,which in itself is ridiculous but how 2 lane country roads, on 150 and 115 all area's i am on.
Crazy!
So your saying trucks have to stay in the right 2 lanes on the Interstate on 77? I have seen a sign which pertains to that around exit 10 or so going south but is this this all over? If it is the law then tell me WHY so many of them whould ignore it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina