Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM

34,234 posts, read 83,455,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAV77 View Post
Assuming I move without a job lined up because...
what neighborhoods would you recommend for someone in my situation?
I'd suggest NO NEIGHBORHOOD at all.
Don't sign any leases until you have a good job.

My default advice in this situation is the extended stay motel for the week or two
it can take to a) find some sort of get by job and b) find a SHARING situation near that job.

You won't be earning a lot so keep the housing costs low for the duration.
Don't be pressured into spending down your reserves.
Poke around. Learn what you like about area X vs area Y... Make some friends.
Catch your breath.

THEN... armed with a local address, local phone #... and an actual local work reference
start the search for the sort of job you really want ...which could take a couple months or more.
Maybe a lot more time if your finicky.

THEN find a place to rent as near this job as possible (or area Y)...
and at a rent rate that can be afforded on that income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 6,676 times
Thanks! I'm checking out the area in a couple of weeks and will definitely stop there.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks, MrRational. That is some prudent and thoughtful advice! I appreciate it. I had thought of the extended stay hotel route as an option. I will need to look into that.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,766,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd suggest NO NEIGHBORHOOD at all.
Don't sign any leases until you have a good job.
Most landlords won't even consider you unless you have verifiable employment.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks, MrRational. That is some prudent and thoughtful advice! I appreciate it.
You're welcome and I'm happy to help.

Quote:
I had thought of the extended stay hotel route as an option. I will need to look into that.
The basic model works. The hiccup for most over age X seems to be their possessions.
They want to load up a truck or something, unload it somewhere else and start their life over.

But if you aren't being recruited or otherwise have a good job lined up...
there is little to be gained by over-committing to any new City (even if you can find a LL to cooperate).
---

The unstated portion is that if things don't pan out for whatever reason that might be...
or you stumble into an opportunity that would have you go somewhere else...
you can pick up and start again at almost a moments notice without any drama.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM

22,754 posts, read 37,030,013 times
Quote:
Thanks, MrRational. That is some prudent and thoughtful advice! I appreciate it. I had thought of the extended stay hotel route as an option. I will need to look into that.
You're looking at probably $3000/month for an extended stay hotel.

Know anyone here you could crash with for awhile? Open to rooming with someone?

Population has boomed here and there are plenty of locals looking for jobs, which is why you haven't gotten any nibbles. If you have a decent cushion moving without a job can work out. Just be ready for anything.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM

I've called some complexes and they will consider applicants in my position (no job lined up) if they have adequate savings. I have plenty to get by for 5-6 mos if I need to, though I would hope it wouldn't take me that long to find something.

No contacts there now. I'll try and make some when I visit in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,276,574 times
Quote:
Revisn is opening a new one of these residential hotels in the Glenwood South neighborhood of downtown Raleigh.
That will probably be expensive but it puts you in the middle of the single's scene to test those waters. It might also help you make the decision if moving is the right thing to do.
If you have enough PTO time, and if I were you, I'd take the month off and go test the waters before jumping in.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM

Thanks. Twingles is right. The extended stay option is gonna run at about $3,000-$3,500 per month. Though I haven't ruled it out, there is part of me resigned to just making it work. I think in situations like this it's sometimes better to have the mindset of being all in. I'm also okay with the idea of moving again in another year or two if I'm still looking for something different. Who knows, I may decide that the year round sun and warmth of Florida is what I really need. lol. Anyway, I'll be there from 6/29 - 7/2 if anyone is out and about! Hehe

Old 06-20-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
The extended stay option is gonna run at about $3,000-$3,500 per month.
How many months do you think it will require to find some sort of temporary job...
enough to cover the M2M bills and for a housemate situation near that job?

If you genuinely believe this would require more than ONE WEEK... stay in NY
Seriously. Do the long distance & online application thing until you get an offer for 'the job'.
It could happen.

Quote:
...there is part of me resigned to just making it work.
I think in situations like this it's sometimes better to have the mindset of being all in.
That raises the larger question of why to choose NC or Raleigh.

Quote:
I'll be there from 6/29 - 7/2 if anyone is out and about!
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: