Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Why is it that whenever The Triangle, The Triad, or The Charlotte Region is in the running for a large company to lend some type of distribution center or tech support center such as Apple or Amazon, People want to start underestimating what the NC cities do not have or what the cities lack or do not have enough of. NC cities always have to be on the level of Atlanta, NOVA, Philly, or NYC. I just do not understand it, its like no one wants to see NC have its shine and its a lot of the transplants that is not from NC saying such things.
Did you read what Amazon said that they want? One of the sites offered in Philadelphia is next to 30th Street Station, which also has a subway stop. You can walk next door to Amtrak & the subway. If you read what they said that they want & know that, how dumb would you be to not think that they have a good shot? Saying that they have a good shot takes nothing away from NC. It's called stating the obvious. They are still recovering from massive mill losses decades ago, so they have their problems. Every place has their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 AM

193 posts, read 159,125 times
I think some nc natives are just too sensiitive , yes nc is a decent state for retiring, schools , starting a family , job market. I think nc is a good safe pick if you want to be in the southeast besides georgia , tennesse , florida . I would rather be in nc than arkansas or alabama any day. So NC does have some wins on its back but it just has the bare minimum that alot of other states have and more ( icing on the cake). If you choose to live here most already know it has bare bones but it has the minimum needed. I know tons of people that just move here for school and afterwards leave.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,722,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
I think some nc natives are just too sensiitive , yes nc is a decent state for retiring, schools , starting a family , job market. I think nc is a good safe pick if you want to be in the southeast besides georgia , tennesse , florida . I would rather be in nc than arkansas or alabama any day. So NC does have some wins on its back but it just has the bare minimum that alot of other states have and more ( icing on the cake). If you choose to live here most already know it has bare bones but it has the minimum needed. I know tons of people that just move here for school and afterwards leave.
I was born in NC and lived there until I moved away for graduate school. I don't think NC natives are too sensitive. There are a lot of perks of living in NC, but also a lot of negatives.

But is what really irks me is when people move to NC because they are fleeing their high tax state, then have the audacity to complain incessantly about the state. If you don't like it, GO THE HELL BACK HOME!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,851,160 times
Quote:
Can you possibly expand on this? What makes NC a "decent" state, besides schools and the job market? And what is that "icing on the cake" that you think a lot of other states have but (you think) NC doesn't?

I'm asking, because I'm thinking of leaving Nashville within the next year or so (I'm another northern transplant), and I'm considering NC, because it's a state I've always been interested in moving to.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,975,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Sounds like sour grapes to me. How to you know what Charlotte is or isn't doing with respect to nature because a bunch of boosters are enthusiastic about large projects being developed? The excitement around TOD is that it will boost ridership and urban development along the LRT. What's the point of building mass transit if it doesn't spur denser urban development within proximity of the line? Your observations seem extremely peripheral and uninformed. I don't get that sense at all. I think you should visit other urban sites or get more information about city growth versus basing an opinion on forum boosterism. Any mid-size city would be ecstatic to experience what's happening in Charlotte right now.
I just read that an ecological sanctuary just opened up in the Chantilly neighborhood near Plaza-Midwood, so I guess that's adding to the nature scene in Charlotte!

Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM

573 posts, read 551,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Between the hatred of Yankees by them just saying "hello" which makes those who do hypocrites imo as ones living the Bible belt and the hard time many who relocate there without a job having an awful time securing one from what I'm reading and hearing = makes no sense to me in that if I had to relocate here in that I can't befriend and eventually live on the sidewalk as I need to work.

I wanted to possible relocate to NC but those issues mentioned above stops it.
WHAT?" Could you please have someone translate this? Either you are drunk or I am going to have to get drunk.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Can you possibly expand on this? What makes NC a "decent" state, besides schools and the job market? And what is that "icing on the cake" that you think a lot of other states have but (you think) NC doesn't?

I'm asking, because I'm thinking of leaving Nashville within the next year or so (I'm another northern transplant), and I'm considering NC, because it's a state I've always been interested in moving to.
I know a few people from TN i havent really heard anything bad about it , i know they have a huge music scene. I think NC is decent besides schools/job market , its a good retire spot , lower cost of living ,access to beaches/mountains isnt too bad , good place to raise kids these are some factors im sure ppl have on their list . Icing on the cake for example maybe a culture/historic feel (example lousiana), more entertainment , more sports ( california example) , more big events ( texas/new york), more attractions , more music scene (tennesse) etc etc.

As I said before NC has things to offer but dont create any big expectations . Ive only lived in two states so far so my knowledge about other states is skewed but comparing Georgia where i stayed before , NC has nothing over GA in my opinion but a few things here or there.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I was born in NC and lived there until I moved away for graduate school. I don't think NC natives are too sensitive. There are a lot of perks of living in NC, but also a lot of negatives.

But is what really irks me is when people move to NC because they are fleeing their high tax state, then have the audacity to complain incessantly about the state. If you don't like it, GO THE HELL BACK HOME!
LOl i hear yeah , as i said no need to complain if you took the decision to move somewhere , like you said just move when you can , its trial and error sometimes when it comes to moving . Ive been in nc since 2007 I think and im done with NC im just waiting on the miss to finish her schooling .

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
And not once have any of the Charlotte boosters ever even mentioned the parks, nor have they gone on every semi-related online forum and touted Charlotte's park-related accomplishments or amenities.
Even if thats true, so what? Is your post about the behavior of "the Charlotte boosters" or about the actual built environment in Charlotte.

Quote:
But a few good ideas will come out of all of it. Like farm-to-table , locally-grown food probably does taste better and from now on will be an option.
Charlotte has tons of farm to table restaurants, farmers markets, etc.

Quote:
All I'm see from Charlotte boosters is growth, new construction, LRT is argued more for spurring development on its track than for its transportation service.
You're putting WAY too much emphasis and importance on a very small number of people on one tiny corner of the internet, and extrapolating that to define Charlotte. Thats absurd.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times
Quote:
I know a few people from TN i havent really heard anything bad about it , i know they have a huge music scene. I think NC is decent besides schools/job market , its a good retire spot , lower cost of living ,access to beaches/mountains isnt too bad , good place to raise kids these are some factors im sure ppl have on their list . Icing on the cake for example maybe a culture/historic feel (example lousiana), more entertainment , more sports ( california example) , more big events ( texas/new york), more attractions , more music scene (tennesse) etc etc.

As I said before NC has things to offer but dont create any big expectations . Ive only lived in two states so far so my knowledge about other states is skewed but comparing Georgia where i stayed before , NC has nothing over GA in my opinion but a few things here or there.
I have lived all over the US and spent significant time in most mid-size to major metros. If anyone is creating big expectations about any place, it'll be a let down. Every city/metro has tradeoffs and after living anywhere for a significant amount of time it becomes sort of routine/mundane to a certain degree. I'm not sure where you live in NC but NC has ample amounts of all of the above, whether its college, pro sports, etc. Especially along the I-85 corridor, the cities between Charlotte, Greensboro, to Raleigh which are all very accessible to all sorts of things, activities.

When you say GA....do you mean Atlanta? I know GA has Savannah, Augusta and Columbus.....but really Atlanta is the bully/center piece whereas NC has three decently populated metros so the wealth of activities are more distributed. Both states have similar populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina