Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,637 times

Advertisements

Yeah, anyway. The Square in South end has grown to 10 stories, adding speculation that a tenant has been found.

https://beacondevelopment.com/proper.../common-square

Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Is the "Raleigh doesn't have an innovation district" narrative just another backhanded way of putting the city down?
That said, Raleigh does have Centennial Campus at NC State that is just SW of downtown and that is exactly its mission, and it has been so for a few decades now.
Downtown has two large employers: Citrix (Sharefile) and RedHat that were both locally born companies that have since been acquired and both companies have invested in significant downtown Raleigh operations. ...no innovation there, huh?
The Warehouse District has also organically grown into an innovation district over the last few decades.
For all of the insults and slights that Raleigh seems to get from all its brethren in the state, it has ascended like no other city has. In the middle of the last century, Raleigh was smaller than Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem. Over just a few decades, it passed them one by one and has never looked back. Heck, even its largest suburb, Cary, has gone from nearly nothing to a municipality larger than many legacy cities in the state. Luckily for Charlotte's ego, Raleigh will never pass it due to the limitations of its boundaries. Now, to be sure, I am not saying that it will pass Charlotte in other ways, I'm just saying that it's impossible for Raleigh to pass it in municipal population.
God help Charlotte's ego when Raleigh starts sprouting a significant skyline.
It's just what it is when it comes this forum man. You don't see it hardly anywhere else. I'm not sure anybody from Raleigh on here says anything bad about Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Wilmington, WS etc. Well except for like architect77, but I thought they were from ATL anyways. It's the usual clubbing over the head and comparisons to Charlotte when nobody asks for them because we know we're not as large, but then it's also the nitpicks from the smaller cities posters perhaps of jealousy? Idk? Not really sure why NC development can't just be discussed across the board without the elbow rubbing and side eye behavior. But oh well...

Old 05-28-2019, 12:23 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It would have been nice if Raleigh had attempted to do something like Winston-Salem and Durham and build an innovation district downtown. These are the "research parks" of the 21st century.
Centennial Campus is sufficient enough. The downtown innovation district concept works better in downtown Winston-Salem and Durham because they had a lot of old spacious warehouses that could be adaptively reused for such a purpose.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
https://www.wral.com/underground-tra...eigh/18415713/

Raleigh to apparently become the first city in the country to use a new underground trash collection system.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:13 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
A groundbreaking ceremony was held this morning in Four Oaks in Johnston County for the new Ashley Furniture retail outlet and distribution center.

https://jocoreport.com/groundbreakin...bution-center/

Old 05-28-2019, 02:51 PM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Centennial Campus is sufficient enough. The downtown innovation district concept works better in downtown Winston-Salem and Durham because they had a lot of old spacious warehouses that could be adaptively reused for such a purpose.
And Greenville....where ECU is setting up part of the Millennial campus in the warehouse district...

ECU Millennial Campus

Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
I have to laugh at the juxtaposition of these two maps.
The first one suggests that a shrunken Wake would be less populated (of course it would), while the second one shows a broad view of the Charlotte metropolitan area while ignoring that anything exists outside of Wake in the Triangle. You can't have it both ways.

I don't think that anyone would argue that Charlotte's metro isn't larger than the Triangle's, but we have to compare them apples to apples. I don't think that anyone could successfully argue that Charlotte's urban area footprint isn't both more sprawled and more populated than the Triangle's, but you can't take a wide view of one place and compare it to a narrow view of another, no matter what the commuting patterns say in multi-nodal metro like the Triangle. Invisible lines of municipalities, counties, metros, etc. aren't actually there and the Triangle and its collection of entities doesn't stop at them because of what the OMB says.
It seems to be a common theme among many in this forum to look for whatever metric/story/visual one can find to make Raleigh seem as tiny as possible. Are we THAT threatening to Charlotte's ego?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Charlotte is larger than the Triangle, but the delta isn't some sort of astronomical difference. NC is lucky to have both, and most states would KILL to have the one-two punch of these fast growing metros.
I’m not reading the last block of paragraph but I want to address your misunderstanding in the first.

I said if Mecklenburg was blown up to Wakes size. Therefore, I show a map zoomed out of Mecklenburg.

I said if Wake was shrunk to Mecklenburgs size. So I showed a map of Wake county.

Doesn’t that make sense?

Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
It's just what it is when it comes this forum man. You don't see it hardly anywhere else. I'm not sure anybody from Raleigh on here says anything bad about Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Wilmington, WS etc. Well except for like architect77, but I thought they were from ATL anyways. It's the usual clubbing over the head and comparisons to Charlotte when nobody asks for them because we know we're not as large, but then it's also the nitpicks from the smaller cities posters perhaps of jealousy? Idk? Not really sure why NC development can't just be discussed across the board without the elbow rubbing and side eye behavior. But oh well...
I think it’s much more civil than other areas. Baltimore and DC among many other pairs lol are fairly cut throat. Lol.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think it’s much more civil than other areas. Baltimore and DC among many other pairs lol are fairly cut throat. Lol.

...and at least its not Illinois where almost everyone agrees its going to hell in a fiscal hand basket. Sample of 10 most recent posts:

1) Property taxes take notices
2) Illinois is headed for disaster and I don't want to be here for it
5) JB appears to be failing badly...
6) Pritzger on progressive tax: "No guarantees against middle-class tax hikes"
8) What would Illinois look like if the state wasn't broke/corrupt?
10)Why is it all Doomsday scenarios?

Jersey is a bit better than Illinois but your much more likely to see the word c*cksucker thrown about. I think NC is doing pretty good.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,902 times
Quote:
Is the "Raleigh doesn't have an innovation district" narrative just another backhanded way of putting the city down?
That said, Raleigh does have Centennial Campus at NC State that is just SW of downtown and that is exactly its mission, and it has been so for a few decades now.
Downtown has two large employers: Citrix (Sharefile) and RedHat that were both locally born companies that have since been acquired and both companies have invested in significant downtown Raleigh operations. ...no innovation there, huh?
The Warehouse District has also organically grown into an innovation district over the last few decades.
For all of the insults and slights that Raleigh seems to get from all its brethren in the state, it has ascended like no other city has. In the middle of the last century, Raleigh was smaller than Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem. Over just a few decades, it passed them one by one and has never looked back. Heck, even its largest suburb, Cary, has gone from nearly nothing to a municipality larger than many legacy cities in the state. Luckily for Charlotte's ego, Raleigh will never pass it due to the limitations of its boundaries. Now, to be sure, I am not saying that it will pass Charlotte in other ways, I'm just saying that it's impossible for Raleigh to pass it in municipal population.
God help Charlotte's ego when Raleigh starts sprouting a significant skyline.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina