Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruodAmerikan View Post
Exactly what you were trying to insinuate my friend. We don't have to go back and forth. Why are you so ticked off first of all? The topic was development amongst metros, but obviously you became completely unrattled by certain posts. The matter can be completely resolved by an apology from yourself.

The Triangle is a pretty nice metro and I will not allow your posts on the board spoil my personal thoughts about the place. I will not.
Again, I have no idea what you're talking about, and obviously you can't explain it. So oh well.

I agree the Triangle is a great metro. I can't fathom what I've posted that any reasonable, intelligent person could interpret otherwise. I'm at a loss. This thread is like an alternative universe where up is down and good is bad.

I literally said the Triangle is comparable to Austin, in response to another poster who said it wasn't. Do you want to me to apologize for that?

Last edited by BC1960; 12-02-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:31 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I didn’t start the conversation. I responded that Austin is a valid comparison to Raleigh.

And then someone doesn’t understand how Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh and asked for an explanation.

No one really needs you as a moderator. Because quite frankly, you wouldn’t make a very good one. Nor would your alter egos which I’m sure here shortly will join in
Not trying to be a moderator. But as always you and your brethren have derailed a perfectly good thread. How many times guys jump in with this bs and get the thread closed?

With your undercover Charlotte superiority trolling. Get a life already!!!

Alter ego? Please explain that comment? Funny coming from someone who posts in every thread that even mentions Charlotte,Raleigh or Atlanta. It seems to be your life mission to prove Charlottes greatness. It’s quite pitiful really.

I read your comments in the ATL vs Charlotte,absolutely pitiful. All you do is run around city data as Charlotte’s greatest fanboy!!!

If you’d start another Charlotte vs Raleigh thread I’d be happy to debate the facts with you. How about not ruining this one please.

Last edited by Atowwn; 12-02-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 4,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Again, I have no idea what you're talking about, and obviously you can't explain it. So oh well.

I agree the Triangle is a great metro. I can't fathom what I've posted that any reasonable, intelligent person could interpret otherwise. I'm at a loss. This thread is like an alternative universe where up is down and good is bad.
Still no apologies I see. Why are you being so difficult over such a simple matter.

The Triangle is a great metro BTW, but why so much boosterism? Every topic becomes flooded by rude and snobby insults. It's completely uncalled for.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruodAmerikan View Post
Still no apologies I see. Why are you being so difficult over such a simple matter.

The Triangle is a great metro BTW, but why so much boosterism? Every topic becomes flooded by rude and snobby insults. It's completely uncalled for.
Good lord, apologize for what? What insults? As stated above, I said the Triangle is comparable to Austin, in response to a poster who said it wasn't. Is that what you want an apology for? What the hell is going on here?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Want to answer my questions? Or do you just want to be unjustifiably pissed off?
Wait now i'm supposed to answer to you? You just dismissed everything I said and wanted me to "stop" but then when I ask the same of you now I'm pissed and am expected to answer?? That's an interesting way to have a conversation

But sure why not let me make it clear what I think so hopefully there's no more petty back and forth.

I don't think you are trying to denigrate Raleigh. But I do think what you said was pretty inaccurate and dismissive. Especially to someone who doesn't really know any better. To say "Raleigh has very little tech" by removing RTP from it as if it's Durham's, can't really be done when that's what has helped put not only Ralegh but the whole Triangle on the map. It doesn't matter that most of it is technically land in Durham county. Without RTP there's no Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary, Morrisville etc etc in the current state we know it. And without Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, there's no RTP. Raleigh~RTP Durham~RTP Chapel Hill~RTP yadda yadda yadda.

But besides that there certainly is quite a bit of tech within Raleighs city limits and within it's separate metro. I can't claim to know the numbers but to treat it like Tech is an insignificant part of the economy is flatly false. Outside of government because it's the capital, the main industry Raleigh is recognized for is tech. I mean c'mon, AAP new hq relocation and the 435 new jobs it's bringing to DTR most likely are literally the tech side of the company. And that's just one of many examples.

But I get it. I'm sure you kind of just rifled off a vague statement probably not figuring someone would want to clarify it.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Wait now i'm supposed to answer to you? You just dismissed everything I said and wanted me to "stop" but then when I ask the same of you now I'm pissed and am expected to answer?? That's an interesting way to have a conversation
You are really sensitive.

Quote:
But sure why not let me make it clear what I think so hopefully there's no more petty back and forth.

I don't think you are trying to denigrate Raleigh. But I do think what you said was pretty inaccurate and dismissive. Especially to someone who doesn't really know any better. To say "Raleigh has very little tech" by removing RTP from it as if it's Durham's, can't really be done when that's what has helped put not only Ralegh but the whole Triangle on the map. It doesn't matter that most of it is technically land in Durham county. Without RTP there's no Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary, Morrisville etc etc in the current state we know it. And without Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, there's no RTP. Raleigh~RTP Durham~RTP Chapel Hill~RTP yadda yadda yadda.
Anything I said wasn't meant to be dismissive, and I'd suggest you only view it that way because you are so sensitive to any perceived criticism of Raleigh and are because you are ascribing motives to my comments that don't exist.

Quote:
But besides that there certainly is quite a bit of tech within Raleighs city limits and within it's separate metro. I can't claim to know the numbers but to treat it like Tech is an insignificant part of the economy is flatly false. Outside of government because it's the capital, the main industry Raleigh is recognized for is tech. I mean c'mon, AAP new hq relocation and the 435 new jobs it's bringing to DTR most likely are literally the tech side of the company. And that's just one of many examples.
What I'm saying is that compared to state employment, NC State, public schools, city and county government, etc., tech employment in the city of Raleigh isn't huge, and compared to total tech employment in the Triangle, tech employment in the city of Raleigh isn't huge. Thats all I'm saying. And unless you can provide some data then I think I'm right. There's 60,0000 tech jobs in the Triangle. I doubt 10% of those are in the city limits of Raleigh. And thats not meant as a knock on Raleigh, its simply a statement of fact.

Quote:
But I get it. I'm sure you kind of just rifled off a vague statement probably not figuring someone would want to clarify it.
I'm not sure what this means, but I hope I have clarified my comments.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Not trying to be a moderator. But as always you and your brethren have derailed a perfectly good thread. How many times guys jump in with this bs and get the thread closed?

With your undercover Charlotte superiority trolling. Get a life already!!!

Alter ego? Please explain that comment? Funny coming from someone who posts in every thread that even mentions Charlotte,Raleigh or Atlanta. It seems to be your life mission to prove Charlottes greatness. It’s quite pitiful really.

I read your comments in the ATL vs Charlotte,absolutely pitiful. All you do is run around city data as Charlotte’s greatest fanboy!!!

If you’d start another Charlotte vs Raleigh thread I’d be happy to debate the facts with you. How about not ruining this one please.

I hope you liked my comments in the Charlotte section.

And I’m glad you noticed I comment on things that involve Charlotte. Isn’t it weird that I would comment on a place I was born?! And I read lots of topics here. But I comment on the Charlotte ones. I have nothing to add to the conversation about San Fran or others because I only comment on things I’m familiar with.

I really don’t care about Charlotte being superior over Raleigh or whatever you think my intention is. I mean. If you think Charlotte being a bigger city than Raleigh is me being an undercover way to assert superiority over Raleigh, well I’m sorry.

And really, it’s you who is derailing the thread with your “I follow what you post and you’re a troll who thinks Charlotte is bigger and it hurts my feelings.”

To reiterate my post. A Triangle poster was wondering why Raleigh doesn’t get larger developments. It was explained, as Trent Y can attest, because it’s multi nodal. Because of the industries the triangle has, because of the research park.

Then someone mentioned Austin as proof of concept big large developments could work on Raleigh. Than another CLT poster did what you’re accusing me of saying how Austin can’t be compared to Raleigh, GDP, Metro size, etc etc. I thought the two were comparable. And I said so.

In fact, to prevent a predictable meltdown from you or random accounts with a few post that feels so strongly against Charlotte that always pops up when you do, when I mentioned that not only is Charlotte not multi-nodal and have industries that anchor larger towers, it’s just bigger, I specifically said “even though Charlotte’s bigger, they’re still peers” .

I feel like it’s a given Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, Nashville, Orlando, Jacksonville, Memphis, Tampa are all Southern peers. Some are bigger. Some are smaller. But even though I felt it was a Given, I know that any time someone says Charlotte is a bigger city than Raleigh, you and sometimes a few others want to burn the place down. Which is crazy considering it is a fact one is bigger than the other.

And again. It was all in context of why Raleigh’s developments are smaller. You turned it into a “I follow your post and I know you’re trying to prove Charlotte is superior” which is actually off topic.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-02-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Charlotte regains its place as No. 2 U.S. banking center. Will it keep it?
[
Charlotte has reclaimed its coveted title as the nation’s second-largest banking center, as a regulator’s restriction on growth at San Francisco-based Wells Fargo has caused that city to slip to No. 3.
But economic developers might not want to pop the champagne just yet.

The rankings, which are based on the value of loans and other assets held by the banks headquartered in each city, show the race between Charlotte and San Francisco as very close. Charlotte banks had $2.29 trillion in assets as of the end of June, versus San Francisco’s $2.25 trillion, according to an analysis for the Observer by S&P Global Market Intelligence.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy

Old 12-02-2018, 09:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
You are really sensitive.

Anything I said wasn't meant to be dismissive, and I'd suggest you only view it that way because you are so sensitive to any perceived criticism of Raleigh and are because you are ascribing motives to my comments that don't exist.

What I'm saying is that compared to state employment, NC State, public schools, city and county government, etc., tech employment in the city of Raleigh isn't huge, and compared to total tech employment in the Triangle, tech employment in the city of Raleigh isn't huge. Thats all I'm saying. And unless you can provide some data then I think I'm right. There's 60,0000 tech jobs in the Triangle. I doubt 10% of those are in the city limits of Raleigh. And thats not meant as a knock on Raleigh, its simply a statement of fact.

I'm not sure what this means, but I hope I have clarified my comments.
Huh... You tell me to stop. I agree to stop. Then I ask you to stop. But you don't, so now we're at the conclusion that I'm sensitive..?..Still struggling with that concept.

Funny that I see you expect people in posts all throughout this forum to be correct and accurate yet they're overreacting when someone expects the same from you.

RTP is the triangle therefore RTP is Raleigh. Just like it's Durham. Just like it's Chapel Hill. You don't get to qualify tech jobs in Raleigh but then cut it off at the knees by saying one of it's larger sources of tech jobs doesnt count because technically the'yre not in the city limits. Especially when it comes to an entity as unique as RTP. That's all I'm saying

Btw out of legitimate curiousity. Where do you get the number of total tech jobs for the Triangle being 60k? I'm not saying it's wrong I'm just wondering where you found that. Because to go along with some of those numbers you seem to be so sure of, how then does this article from Raleigh-wake.org make sense?
Job growth study: Raleigh No. 2 in tech, No. 1 in STEM - Wake County Economic Development.

In 2014 its saying tech related jobs in the Raleigh metro (not triangle) was at 38k+

Oh and this one. https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/10...o-1-tech-town/

How were 25k+ tech job postings made in the last year in the Raleigh metro alone? Again, not including Durham that had 10k+ even with it's "3/4 of RTP."

Raleigh is a tech hub plain and simple. If we're going to keep trying to qualify it to a tighter and tighter standard like the city limits, then it does make me wonder what the real motive behind a comment like that is anyways.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I hope you liked my comments in the Charlotte section.

And I’m glad you noticed I comment on things that involve Charlotte. Isn’t it weird that I would comment on a place I was born?! And I read lots of topics here. But I comment on the Charlotte ones. I have nothing to add to the conversation about San Fran or others because I only comment on things I’m familiar with.

I really don’t care about Charlotte being superior over Raleigh or whatever you think my intention is. I mean. If you think Charlotte being a bigger city than Raleigh is me being an undercover way to assert superiority over Raleigh, well I’m sorry.

And really, it’s you who is derailing the thread with your “I follow what you post and you’re a troll who thinks Charlotte is bigger and it hurts my feelings.”

To reiterate my post. A Triangle poster was wondering why Raleigh doesn’t get larger developments. It was explained, as Trent Y can attest, because it’s multi nodal. Because of the industries the triangle has, because of the research park.

Then someone mentioned Austin as proof of concept big large developments could work on Raleigh. Than another CLT poster did what you’re accusing me of saying how Austin can’t be compared to Raleigh, GDP, Metro size, etc etc. I thought the two were comparable. And I said so.

In fact, to prevent a predictable meltdown from you or random accounts with a few post that feels so strongly against Charlotte that always pops up when you do, when I mentioned that not only is Charlotte not multi-nodal and have industries that anchor larger towers, it’s just bigger, I specifically said “even though Charlotte’s bigger, they’re still peers” .

I feel like it’s a given Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, Nashville, Orlando, Jacksonville, Memphis, Tampa are all Southern peers. Some are bigger. Some are smaller. But even though I felt it was a Given, I know that any time someone says Charlotte is a bigger city than Raleigh, you and sometimes a few others want to burn the place down. Which is crazy considering it is a fact one is bigger than the other.

And again. It was all in context of why Raleigh’s developments are smaller. You turned it into a “I follow your post and I know you’re trying to prove Charlotte is superior” which is actually off topic.
Much of what we all view as important criteria on this forum is subjective and doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the realm of actually generating growth, commerce, culture, etc.

Charlotte puts great value in skylines, and light rail, etc, and I'm glad that the state has a good dose of that.

But equally relevant are the qualities in places that are small, and cherished and staunchly defended if put in jeopardy.

The Triangle is popular as a good place for young couples to raise a family.

The tech and university environment makes it a solid destination for innovation.

Charlotte folks and Raleigh folks don't know enough about the other town to be giving advice for each region's future, at least, if you want to taken seriously...

Here is the Triangle's HQ2 document which will reveal some of the statistics that look good for NC:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...html#document/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina