Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 04:19 PM

182 posts, read 449,997 times

Advertisements

We love the cabins, chalets, etc you find in the vacation areas. We also love stopping in small towns with lots of local restaurants, bakeries, ice cream, retail shops, etc. Maybe day tripping or passing thru one town to see a local site and visiting towns along the way. Also, we love being near water such as a small shallow river, lake, or ocean.

Is there any vacation area that has a lot of these small towns short distances away? A friend said something about Cashiers, NC which has a lot of VRBO rentals and is near small towns? Ideally, it would be a rental in a small town (near) like I mentioned above that a small shallow river fronted the property (kids and pets) but perhaps an hour or two from the coast? Perhaps a short drive to a town with lots of these amenities that we could base from for the most part for our meals if we chose not to travel all the time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Sounds by the second paragraph you wanting to be near the coast and by a river. Base on both paragraphs Beaufort NC comes to mind. Also nearby Harkers Island and last coastal recommendation is Duck NC

Beaufort NC is rich in North Carolina history (3rd oldest NC city)and maintains a lot of historic characteristics and is along a river at the mouth of some NC sounds.
It also near Shackleford Banks, I recommend packing beach gear and book a passenger cruise to visit this car-less island during your stay.

I like this site https://www.tripping.com/search?curr...cam=461&rdbk=0
click on home go to map on the right to determine location.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-16-2017 at 06:42 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 05:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
The mountains are about 5 hrs from the coast in NC so you kind of need to pick one or the other. Most people who go to the beach want to stay at the beach and then maybe do day trips to small towns around.

Check www.visitnc.com for some good ideas.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:34 AM

147 posts, read 163,065 times
I would go to the NC mountains - stay somewhere around Hendersonville and go from there

Zen Tubing
» Land of Waterfalls, Transylvania County Waterfall tours, photos and hikes Visit Brevard NC
https://www.romanticasheville.com/sl...h_carolina.htm
Visit the Grove Park Inn and sit on the sunset porch at sunset
Visit the Biltmore Estate and wonder at the luxury of a time gone by

Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM

182 posts, read 449,997 times
Yeah, its a broad request. I would like to be close enough for a 2 hour drive to the beach lets say. However, maybe something sorta in middle with touristy towns around?

We are from Nashville so been to the Smokies hundreds of times bit still enjoy. When I say river I mean more like a big creek that kids and dog can play in. You know how the mountains have what thet call rivers but more like streams thats good. A lake with shoreline rentals and maybe watercraft rentals would work too.

Really we just like to hangout, picnic, and shop.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
In NC the touristy areas are the beach and the mountains. The middle is where we live and work, but not where we play as much. There are things to do if you have to be there, but people don't really vacation much in Raleigh or Charlotte. Might go there for a ball game or a concert, but not too many folks take a vacation to those places. There's not going to be many rental cabins like you describe outside of the beach or the mountains. You could probably Air B&B it some places, but I don't think what you're describing really exists in NC.

Two hours to the beach really limits you to Raleigh and eastern NC, basically along I-95 and east, which is my least favorite part of the state until you get to the beach. It's very rural and there are large pockets of poverty, too. I guess you could look at something like New Bern, but really I'd revamp your idea. I just don't think what you're describing is North Carolina (or South Carolina). Maybe there's something like that in Virginia, say, around Williamsburg?

If you want to stay at the beach and do some excursions into the inland towns for shopping you might like the Crystal Coast area. It's a little more low key. You can visit Beaufort and Morehead City and Fort Macon, the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores, Cape Lookout, etc. It's a very nice beach destination. Lots to do.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,541,633 times
Waterfall Swimming - https://goo.gl/ECFCj9
Best Swimming Holes - https://goo.gl/ZmbXtY
Tubing - https://goo.gl/NBGPwC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina