Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM

39 posts, read 126,892 times

Advertisements

I relocated to NC, Rowan County last August. All was well, I love it here since relocating from Florida. I bragged so much about this wonderful state that most of my family has followed us. My son and his family just arrived 2 weeks ago and was amazed at how friendly the people are here. He has a blue tick coon hound that we keep on a dog runner since we have no fence, its a wooded area. We have a relatively new neighbor and to my horror he was shooting his shotgun at the dog!! The dog does bark at the squirrels and such, but we are friendly with this neighbor and would have thought that he would have come talked with us first. I'm confused now. Will someone just come out and shoot your dog here? I need to learn the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Contact law enforcement in your area, I am sure they can tell you. I would imagine shooting at a neighbor's dog on its own property is not allowed but then again,maybe there is no law.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
That is animal abuse, and illegal, contact law enforcement.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
It's also illegal to discharge a firearm within a certain distance from another dwelling. Call the cops.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
A few questions -

1. How do you know he was shooting at the dog? Did you see him pointing at the dog, or did you see where the shot landed? Did it hit your house? Did it hit your dog?

2. a blue tick hound?
Don't they howl like crazy?
I mean, I love blueticks, and I've always wanted one.. but I wouldn't get one if I had a neighbor within earshot. That would be very inconsiderate. If you can hear his shotgun, he can probably hear a barking or howling dog.

That's not to say that he's legally or morally in the 'right' - I'm just suspicious that your neighbor started shooting at your dog for no reason. Surely there's more to this story. I know people who would maybe fire a shotgun in the air over something like this, but I can't imagine that someone would try to shoot the dog. I'd only consider shooting someone's dog if I felt he was threatening my life or property, and even then it'd have to be something pretty serious.

Last edited by anonymous; 03-05-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Put a shotgun in that dog's paws and teach him to shoot back.

Seriously, I would most definitely contact Animal Control, as well as the local law enforcement, but only if you know, and can prove it. Step out into your yard with a camera next time, and see if you can catch them with the gun in their hands. Be sure to document the date/time.

Sorry. I have little understanding for stupid people, and firing a gun like that, is s-t-u-p-i-d.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM

No, we didn't see him pointing the gun at the dog. But after we brought the dog in he quit. We don't leave the dog outside that long, only enough to do his business and he does not howl. We did call law enforcement and they said they are allowed to shoot in their own yards, but not directly at someone or something. I just thought he would come and tell us if we were annoying him. I think maybe Copper is smart enough to aim back if needed. ha, ha.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 AM

I forgot to add that he also has two dogs and a cat that run freely and one of them being a pit bull. We never complained when his animals tease Copper when they run past him and tease him knowing he is on a dog line.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
I'm not from NC, 'hope to be one day, but write from the least dog-friendly city in the nation, Los Angeles.

PLEASE, for the safety of your dog, start to save to build a fence for your property or at least a shaded dog run. This will obviate clear borders that your property is your property, and will legally clarify that your idiot neighbor had zero threat of aggression from your nice dog.

Someone who is cretinous to shoot at your tethered dog is crazy enough to kill him. You must protect your dog then. A fence or run will make it obvious to him, and legal authorities, that every iota of blame is on the crazed neighbor. Anyone who lives near you will back you up that your dog is under control, whereas your neighbor is aggressively threatening you and your property -your dog- on your own property. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
yikes! I'd be teaching my dog to shoot back!

or, if thats not possible- build a fence and call the police. tell them they are shooting at your dog, who is on your property and secured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina