Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:39 PM

30,664 posts, read 18,290,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Pathetic...don't forget that it's pathetic. But considering the micro-aggression in your "location" box....I'm guessing you're actually quite proud of this pathetic move by NCGA.
Certainly not upset by it. I, for one, am not in favor of granting a man (or ensuring that he maintains powers granted to the current governor) additional power when said man, as attorney general, refused to defend his state's laws in court. Refused to perform the most basic duty of the AG's office. And, note, I write this as one who is in favor of same sex marriage and who thought that the HB2 was uncommonly silly. But I am sick and tired of seeing Democrat AG's ignore their lawful duty based on personal opinion.

PA's former AG and now convicted felon Kathleen Kane took it a step further and refused to defend a pro-2nd Amendment piece of legislation passed by the state legislature.

People like Cooper and Kane don't deserve any added powers, in my view.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,194,606 times
This is disgusting. I sure hope that SCOTUS is paying attention to what's going on. In the end, it doesn't matter what the people of NC think or how they vote. Power and control will be maintained by all means necessary. It sure doesn't sound like a democracy to me anymore.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:09 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,842,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It's happening people. They are burning down the Legislative before everyone leaves for Christmas. I can't believe the huevos on these people.
It doesn't surprise me a bit after all their kicking and screaming following Election Day and McCrory's subsequent loss. Cooper probably expected this too.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:22 AM

9,149 posts, read 14,784,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Purely partisan, sure. Something I'm upset about? No. Perfectly legal and within the right of the GA.
Is it perfectly legal to change the way the judicial system operates on such a fundamental level so that the party in power gains a potential advantage? I can see a pretty good argument of no.

And legal for all the other stuff doesn't make it right.

To think I was actually happy when the republicans made these gains originally and when McCrory was elected. I was an idiot.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
It's actually unconstitutional in North Carolina.

From Graig Meyer, NC House District 50
Quote:
They broke the law by secretly planning a Fourth Special Session that started immediately after the Third Special Session ended. They had dozens of complex bills ready to go. Dropping all of this as a surprise directly violates the Constitutional right of North Carolinians to "instruct their representatives" because you simply don't have the time to do so. (And BTW, remember this is the Legislature that is elected unconstitutionally because of gerrymandering. An illegal legislature breaking the law. Please don't say you're surprised.)

Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM

241 posts, read 339,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's really a horrible blatant power grab. They don't care about the people of North Carolina. They only care about retaining power for themselves and their party.
Ding! Politicians just being selfish, as usual.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times
Republican cry baby losers is about the best you can call them.

Not satisfied that they helped put that ego maniac Trump in office they have to take the power away from a legitimately elected Governor.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM

147 posts, read 163,065 times
You voted for these people, deal with it.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:04 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Is it perfectly legal to change the way the judicial system operates on such a fundamental level so that the party in power gains a potential advantage? I can see a pretty good argument of no.
It is legal.

In NC, the GA can pretty much do whatever it wants as long as it doesn't violate rights guaranteed by the NC & USA Constitution. Any challenges would have to fall within that scope.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,970,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherborn View Post
You voted for these people, deal with it.
They have a permanent majority thanks to gerrymandering. It's not reflective of what North Carolinians want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina