Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:44 AM
DPK

4,598 posts, read 5,760,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Many eastern NC rural Dems are just as conservative as rural western-NC Republicans. Only in Asheville, Charlotte, Boone, The Triangle, Wilmington, and The Triad will you find true liberals. As of 2016, NC is probably more liberal than it has ever been. Like Florida, NC could go either way when it comes to presidential elections. When big states go right, the lefty-media attacks them. That's just how it goes.

As for HB2, let's not forget that Charlotte's far-left stance prompted HB2. Had Charlotte been more conservative, HB2 would've been a non-issue. And even though I DO NOT support HB2; I can admit that the media has made HB2 out to be worse than what the bill states.
Should be interesting how things shift regarding HB2, especially with Trump saying recently that he supports transgender people using the bathroom of their choice:

Quote:
“North Carolina did something — it was very strong — and they’re paying a big price,” Mr. Trump said. “And there’s a lot of problems. And I heard — one of the best answers I heard was from a commentator yesterday saying, leave it the way it is, right now.”

He added that before the law passed, there had been “very few problems” but now North Carolina is experiencing an exodus of businesses and “strife” from people on both sides of the issue.
Quote:
...in response to a follow-up question, he said that if Caitlyn Jenner were to walk into Trump Tower and want to use a bathroom, he would be comfortable with her choosing any bathroom she wanted. “That is correct,” Mr. Trump said.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...oom-they-want/

Didn't see that coming.

Last edited by DPK; 11-12-2016 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 8,001,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I agree, New England sounds like a much better idea. Once you've preemptively formed a negative opinion of a place or people, it will be nearly impossible for you to judge them subjectively once you're there. You'll unconsciously find the negative stuff and use it to reinforce that bias, instead of remaining objective. It's called "confirmation bias"

Most of the news I see coming out of every other part of the country is negative. Is it because every other place is bad or because bad news gets views?

We love NC and the people. We don't agree with the politics. While we never had any issues in Charlotte areal we know there has been tension (more so than other parts of New England) and we are worried what will happen in the next 4 years. The economy there has also taken a hit with the bathroom bill and while that may be overturned the damage has been done to some degree. I guess it worked out for the best that my husband couldn't find a job in finance there anyways.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 8,001,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Good, we don't want anymore yankee libs.
Not a Yankee Lib..... grown up farther south than NC my entire life.. thanks though for wanting to keep your culture pure..

Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,407,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
It seems really racially and religious tense there right now. I have a feeling we may have a harder time than projected being myself, husband and daughter are all Atheist.
You can be agnostic and/or atheist easily in the Charlotte area. Here, there are tons of non-religious events on Sundays. For the record, I'm agnostic and my son is atheist (though I'm starting to convert towards my son's way of thinking). We are quiet about it, because we know it's not a popular thing (especially when you're black). However, the more I've opened up about my non-faith; the more I've learned that there are many non-religious folks in this area.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,558,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Many eastern NC rural Dems are just as conservative as rural western-NC Republicans. Only in Asheville, Charlotte, Boone, The Triangle, Wilmington, and The Triad will you find true liberals. As of 2016, NC is probably more liberal than it has ever been. Like Florida, NC could go either way when it comes to presidential elections. When big states go right, the lefty-media attacks them. That's just how it goes.

As for HB2, let's not forget that Charlotte's far-left stance prompted HB2. Had Charlotte been more conservative, HB2 would've been a non-issue. And even though I DO NOT support HB2; I can admit that the media has made HB2 out to be worse than what the bill states.
Nothing prompted HB2. It was a creation by the same legislature and governor that passed a racist voter suppression law, which was struck down by a federal court with SCOTUS agreeing. NC will continue to live with HB2 despite who wins the governorship and the effects will be lasting.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:57 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,782,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Nothing prompted HB2.
I am 100% against HB2, but the facts are, it was a passed as a result of actions taken by the Charlotte mayor and council. They "solved" a problem that did not exist, and then the GA over-reacted.

If Charlotte had not passed its ordinance, HB2 would have never happened.

The most ironic thing is that Charlotte, that took action in support of the trans community, has ended up paying the greatest financial price.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:18 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,014,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Nothing prompted HB2.
Read the ordinance. No reasonable person would have believed there wouldn't be some sort of response to barring all businesses from separating men and women in locker rooms

Old 11-12-2016, 11:12 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,329,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Should be interesting how things shift regarding HB2, especially with Trump saying recently that he supports transgender people using the bathroom of their choice:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...oom-they-want/

Didn't see that coming.
Recently?

That all happened in April. And he's right, isn't he?

HB2 is a bad law chasing a bad ordinance. Personally, I've at least been consistent in that.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:32 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,014,063 times
Now that there isn't an election coming up to posture for, I wonder if Charlotte and the legislature will revisit their positions. HB2 was on the verge of being modified when the Mayor and Cooper called and put pressure on the Dems. Maybe they'll repeal both the ordinance and HB2 now that their isn't as much political gain to be had from painting the governor in a bad light

Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 PM

145 posts, read 157,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Now that there isn't an election coming up to posture for, I wonder if Charlotte and the legislature will revisit their positions. HB2 was on the verge of being modified when the Mayor and Cooper called and put pressure on the Dems. Maybe they'll repeal both the ordinance and HB2 now that their isn't as much political gain to be had from painting the governor in a bad light

Many thinking NC folks care about real issues like jobs, low crime, and a nice place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina