Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,177 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Northern Virginia/D.C. metro area. My husband's company wants to relocate us to NC. We have a six year old daughter so the thought of getting out of NoVa sounds great. The job is on Ft Bragg outside of Fayettville. From what I have read and heard this is not the best area. I s this true?? If so do you have any suggestions like where we could go? He commutes almost an hour now so I am sure he could do the same there and we could pay anywhere up to 450k for a nice house. We would like something with some land for our daughter maybe 1/2acre or more. I just want a safe family oriented neighborhood and good schools to raise my daughter in. Can anyone help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 AM

133 posts, read 494,083 times
Default fayetteville

I interviewed for a job in FV about 3 years ago. Didnt get the job, and its a good thing. The town isnt that nice, isnt near anything nice etc...

Still, any place is what you make of it. Coming from DC to FV will be a huge culture shock!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
I've been to Fayettville a few times and I grew up in NoVA so I can tell you that F-ville is very different and probably not the best area to send your child to school in. Interestingly enough, Ft. Bragg I found to be really nice while driving around the base. It's a totally different world inside the gates vs. outside. I'm sure there are some nice areas of F-ville, but I wouldn't know where they are.

You might want to look into Fuquay-Varina in Southern Wake County. The commute would probably be closer to an hour, but it's a wonderful community that's still very country and you're close to Raleigh and all it's offerings on the weekends. Schools in Fuquay (Wake County) are much better than Cumberland County.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times
You can also try Moore county. Fort Bragg that has a gate in Southern Pines which would make the commute very doable. Not sure if that gate remains open though.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
They don't call it Fayette-nam for nothing.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 82,541 times
It's pretty bad, I wouldn't live there. It's not just the city.....the people too.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,634 times
here's a link to a post I replied to:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ml#post1380810

Please do a search for the word Fayetteville on here, there is plenty of good there too, it all depends on where you decide to live. I don't have tons of time to reply now, but our 10 mo experience there was much better than I had anticipated. Yes, it's true, there's not tons to do, not a good mall, but there is what you'll need, and you can drive for what you want.
You'll find when you search that plenty of people will say they lived there x yrs ago, but from what I saw when I was there was a lot of new areas, shopping etc. If it's a good job I say go for it, PM me if you have specific questions, I can tell you where the better schools are, you may find other posts of mine on here where I listed good areas/schools etc.
Good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 106,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/NC View Post
It's pretty bad, I wouldn't live there. It's not just the city.....the people too.
what is that supposed to mean? i mean there is over 200,000 people in fayetteville now and your saying you know all of them and they are all the same?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

20 posts, read 105,012 times
Fayetteville isn't as half as bad as most people make it out to be. The one thing that may frustrate you the most is that if you decide to work it may take sometime for you to find a decent paying job and as of right now, the city is starting to get really overcrowded. Other than that if you do your research you'll be fine. I can't really tell you too much about the schools because i don't have any children or younger family members there anymore and as far as neighborhoods I don't really venture out of the one where my parents reside.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Fayetteville makes Rocky Mount seem like Cape Cod. It is the armpit of the East Coast, an area of flat land, tackiness, strip malls, low wages, cultural conservatism, fast food, and undereducation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina