Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
On Friday the Wilmington paper reported:

"The rainfall projected to arrive with Hurricane Matthew this weekend could reach as high as 15 inches for parts of Southeastern North Carolina, the National Weather Service's Wilmington office announced Friday."

USA Today on Oct. 7th reported:

"Matthew is forecast to dump as much as 8 to 12 inches of rain from central Florida to eastern North Carolina, forecasters said. Some areas could see as much as 15 inches of rain, which could lead to flooding and flash flooding, even in inland areas. The combination of saturated ground, runoff from torrential rain, unusually high tides, and storm surge is expected to cause extreme flooding..."
I live in Florida so I don't know what was going on locally there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I live in Florida so I don't know what was going on locally there.
The National Weather Service (NATIONAL, not local, weather service) and USA Today aren't local. And my point is, the potential for life threatening flooding was widely reported.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The National Weather Service (NATIONAL, not local, weather service) and USA Today aren't local. And my point is, the potential for life threatening flooding was widely reported.
And there were areas that had the same amount of rainfall that didn't flood as bad as Lumberton did.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
And there were areas that had the same amount of rainfall that didn't flood as bad as Lumberton did.
Yes, and???

Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Maybe you just heard about Lumberton in Florida, but any area that received 15 inches of rain had extensive flooding. It's all over Eastern and Southeastern NC and rivers are still at flood stage. Fayetteville was very hard hit and there's extensive flooding right now in Tarboro, Princeville, Goldsboro, Greenville and it's headed downstream still. Two more people died in the last couple of days.

http://abc11.com/weather/what-rivers...oding/1548328/

The Neuse River hasn't crested yet in Kinston. They expect it to crest tonight.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/KIN...396918581.html

Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
LIG01, A week before Matthew this part of the state already had real heavy rainfall. So the ground was already saturated with no room to absorb (most of this area soil is sand).

I personally think Tarboro and Princeville need to evaluate how they rebuild the buildings that might be condemn (likely scenario when mold occurs). Either that or build flood walls.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 AM

When Princeville rebuilt 20 years ago they built a levee, but this flood topped it. I read someone in Tarboro who said that the Princeville levee pushed the water into Tarboro, too. Maybe they just need to build the whole town up on stilts.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
When Princeville rebuilt 20 years ago they built a levee, but this flood topped it. I read someone in Tarboro who said that the Princeville levee pushed the water into Tarboro, too. Maybe they just need to build the whole town up on stilts.
It makes since to you and I, but I also know this is a poor area so that not likely to happen, but if Feds (Fema) are going to move these people from temporary trailers (Im assuming that what they are doing like with Floyd)

Either that turn these areas into agriculture including livestock & poultry.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM

They are very historic small towns. People don't want to leave. Why not turn New Orleans into a agriculture, too?

I'd be rebuilding on stilts personally, but folks gotta do what they gotta do. I have nothing but sympathy (and some donations) for these folks.

I did read that one church that rebuilt after Floyd rebuilt in such a way that they could remove everything and just hose it down afterwards if it flooded again (no drywall, etc). They were going in before the flood and stripping everything out.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:17 AM

Governor McCrory stated earlier he would do whatever he can to help rebuild Princeville.
I know its oldest African American town settled by free slaves, but at this time only historic structure I can find is a highway marker.

I cant believe its already been 17 years since Floyd, but I hope the rebuilt is done even smarter. Use method we mention homes built above ground level. I was mentioning agriculture to allow a buffer from structures where feasible from the river.

I dont know how they can reclassify Hurricanes as the classification is done off wind speed and storm surge but there isnt a classification on river surge especially a storm that likes to hang round.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-16-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina